5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2016 1:20 PM by stephenleotti

Premiere Elements 10 running slow on Mac

stephenleotti

Hello, I've recently just bought a new Mac and when attempting to use Premiere it runs far slower than it did on my old Windows 8 computer. I can't imagine it's this machine because I have an i7 processor, 16gb of RAM, and an SSD HD. I'm also running the latest operating system, El Capitan. Yet, Premiere is sluggish. Is there a reason why this is happening and is there a way to fix it? Would upgrading to a different version fix it if nothing else?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 10 running slow on Mac
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

El Capitan has been responsible for a number of problems with Adobe products lately.

But I'd definitely try to free trial of version 14 to see if it's more responsive.

Premiere Elements 10 will certainly run on El Capitan and it will run well. (It edits HD just fine on my core duo iMac.) But it's hard to say what to troubleshoot on your machine.

So try version 14 and see if it plays any better with El Capitan.

BTW, when you say it runs slow, I'm assuming you mean:

1) You're running the Mac version of Premiere Elements, not the PC version Parallels

2) You're talking about the general performance of the program. You haven't added video to it yet -- which is another factor to consider.

3) You've left your computer on long enough that any auto-analysis that it needs to run is done, which may take an hour or two the very first time you open the program. In fact, you may even want to turn off the Auto Analyzer to see if it's affecting your performance. Since version 10 is not a 64-bit program, it's only going to be able to use about 3 gigs of RAM, which means background processes like Auto Analyzing could bog it down.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 10 running slow on Mac
            stephenleotti Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I had trouble installing it from the disk, so I downloaded the installer from the internet. I assume it is correct. It installed fine. When trying to use it today, it will not respond when making even the most basic edit, like moving one clip to another spot. It will also crash when attempting to render playback. I can look into Auto Analyzing and see if it makes a difference, but I've had this computer on today for about 4 hours so I don't know.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 10 running slow on Mac
              stephenleotti Level 1

Also, it seems to only give me problems when trying to edit a project I had on my old computer. If I create a new one, drag some clips into it, it seems to work fine. So maybe it's just a problem with that project file.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 10 running slow on Mac
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your old computer was a Windows computer. This one is a Mac. Version 10 projects were not cross-platform, so you will definitely have problems editing an old project in your Mac.

I look forward to hearing your results with version 14. (Also, make sure you test version 14 with a new project. If you try to open a version 10 project with version 14, the project will corrupt.)

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 10 running slow on Mac
                  stephenleotti Level 1

Thanks again. It looks like I'll have to re-edit that video then. Which will be a pain, but as long as I can limp along with v.10 going forward then I won't bother investing in it. I'm not that surprised to have this kind of issue though; Macs are known to not play along well with Windows. Thanks for letting me know not to open it in 14 too, that might have been a problem. I'm glad to know it's not my machine's fault as much as it is the software's fault.