• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I run After effects with an i5 processor without any problems?

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for a new computer for film editing in After Effects:

*Do I need an i7 processor or can an i5 processor run 3D effects and more without any problems?

*Is 8gb of RAM enough or sould I go for 16gb of RAM?

*Can I run 3D effects and more without problems with GeForce GTX 760 2gb?

I've got the version of AE called "After Effects CC 2015" and I may going to uppgrade in the feuture.

It's also possible that I'm going to buy Photoshop...

Thanks for answers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Lukwin8 wrote:

Bad idea. After Effects is not editing software. You want Premiere Pro for editing a film. It's much, much, much better at it because that's what it's built to do. When it comes time to do visual effects, compositing, and motion graphics, then you should use After Effects for those tasks.

Lukwin8 wrote:

Do I need an i7 processor or can an i5 processor run 3D effects and more without any problems?

An i5 will wor

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Adobe has prepared After Effects System Requirements for Mac OS and Windows  where you will find an overview (Windows + Mac Os) about all the requirements.

What concerns "processor" e.g. see "Windows >>> Intel Core2 Duo or AMD After Effects CC (2015) system requirements Phenom II processor with 64-bit support" aso.

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes,

I know that Adobe has some requirements but we got a laptop that have all the requirements except for a graphics card but it still not work, for exampel I can't export videos and I can't use the 3D things and so on, only the basics like animate an object to move across the screen works.

But thanks for your support!:)

‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lukwin8 wrote:

Bad idea. After Effects is not editing software. You want Premiere Pro for editing a film. It's much, much, much better at it because that's what it's built to do. When it comes time to do visual effects, compositing, and motion graphics, then you should use After Effects for those tasks.

Lukwin8 wrote:

Do I need an i7 processor or can an i5 processor run 3D effects and more without any problems?

An i5 will work to run After Effects. The clock speed of the processor will make a big difference in how fast AE renders things.

Lukwin8 wrote:

Is 8gb of RAM enough or sould I go for 16gb of RAM?

Get 16 GB or more.

Lukwin8 wrote:

Can I run 3D effects and more without problems with GeForce GTX 760 2gb?

What 3d effects are you planning to use? There could be several things you mean here.

If you are talking about the ray-traced renderer introduced in CS6, I would recommend against using it. It is considered obsolete by the After Effects team and I don't know of any people who used it professionally.

If you are talking about the continuously improving replacement for the ray-traced renderer (the inclusion of Cinema 4D with your subscription to After Effects), the GPU is irrelevant. C4D renders on the CPU.

If you are talking about AE's own 3d space (which is 2.5d, technically), the GPU is irrelevant as AE only renders on the CPU.

If you are talking about third-party plugins like Element 3d, Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator, Mettle's Shapeshifter, etc., then you'll need to check on their requirements.

Lukwin8 wrote:

I've got the version of AE called "After Effects CC 2015" and I may going to uppgrade in the feuture.

If you have After Effects CC 2015, then you have a subscription with Adobe that includes AE CS6, CC, CC 2014, CC 2015, and any future version of After Effects that comes out for as long as you are subscribed.

How To Find And Install Previous Version Of Adobe Apps In CC 2015

Lukwin8 wrote:

It's also possible that I'm going to buy Photoshop...

If you only have a single-app subscription to After Effects, just get the regular Creative Cloud subscription. It's cheaper than getting two single-app subscriptions and it includes After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Audition, SpeedGrade, Illustrator, Muse, Animate, Dreamweaver and several other professional programs like that.

If you want to do video editing, you'll want to have Premiere Pro. After Effects is great for motion graphics, compositing, and visual effects, but it's TERRIBLE at editing. Use Premiere Pro for that!

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Creative now (2023) will not allow you to install AE with an intel I5 processor (even if you fufill all the requirements and despite I5 comfortably runs AE) so the only obstacle is their being too lazy to update thier software to use GPUs and dumping the hardware burden of their gutless greed on the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines