3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2016 12:11 PM by jwgreg60

How do I edit existing text

jwgreg60

I created a text block and can't consistently selected it for edit.  What is the trick.  I thought I just needed to double click the object that just selects all the paths.  Then I tried to select the text tool, then double click the object, that simply tried to insert text over the top.  I actually got it into edit mode at one point but I have not idea how I did it.

A layers view like photoshop would be very helpful here.

Thanks,

JG

• 1. Re: How do I edit existing text
          CoreyRLucier Adobe Employee

Yep all you should have to do with selection tool is double click. If you have text tool selected, then single click.

• 2. Re: How do I edit existing text
            jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi JG,

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, to edit text all you need to do is double-click on the text object with the Select tool. However, if it's in a group or repeat group, you may have to double-click on it twice (depending on grouping level): once to enter edit context for the group (to select the object you double-clicked on), and once again to actually edit the text. If it's in a group, you can save a double-click by holding down Cmd and clicking on the text object to select it, and then double-clicking on it.

If you'd like additional text features, feel free to peruse and up-vote what's already been suggested in UserVoice, or add a new suggestion here: Adobe XD: Feature Requests: Top (59 ideas) – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

Thank you,

Joe

• 3. Re: How do I edit existing text
              jwgreg60 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply Joe!

I ended up just recreating the text blocks.  It appears that I somehow converted the other text blocks to an object.  Kind of like a CMD-T in photoshop.  Once that was done, I could no longer edit the text.  I wish I knew how that happened so that I can avoid it in the future.

It is not easy to see if it is in a group or not.  How can I tell.  Chances are that is exactly what happened.  However, since I have already deleted them I can't find out.

I do know that I created one from the other by using a key combination (cmd + opt) and dragging.  As an experiment, I tried that with some sample text and was able to edit them both with no problem.

Thanks,

JG