2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2011 4:54 PM by ebls2011

Which way to go?

PJ Turtle Level 1
      I am beginning a project that involves using Captivate in slide/page mode (as opposed to screen animation/capture). On each page I will insert a flv which is a small animated character I am building. He talks – to an unseen “announcer.” The audio track/script drives the timing of the program. The sound track is recorded first, then the characters movements are sync’d to the time line. The character starts out out as an AVI, which I convert to a flash movie, which is embedded on a Captivate page.

My question is about sound strategy in the light of potential sound-sync issues.

Am I better off to embed the sound in the (1) avi >> flv or (2) run the sound track in the captivate time line? None of the assets are especially large or heavy, and the (training) program will normally be delivered over a high-speed connection. Of course I want the best possible sync, and I am under the impression that there is some risk of losing but I don’t know much about this. There probably isn’t much difference in development time / complexity between (1) and (2).

Which way would you go? (And, why?)

Thanks for any light you can shed!
        • 1. Re: Which way to go?
          Level 7
          >I am beginning a project that involves using Captivate in slide/page mode
          >(as
          > opposed to screen animation/capture). On each page I will insert a flv
          > which
          > is a small animated character I am building. He talks ? to an unseen
          > ?announcer.? The audio track/script drives the timing of the program. The
          > sound track is recorded first, then the characters movements are sync?d to
          > the
          > time line. The character starts out out as an AVI, which I convert to a
          > flash
          > movie, which is embedded on a Captivate page.
          >
          > My question is about sound strategy in the light of potential sound-sync
          > issues.
          >
          > Am I better off to embed the sound in the (1) avi >> flv or (2) run the
          > sound
          > track in the captivate time line? None of the assets are especially large
          > or
          > heavy, and the (training) program will normally be delivered over a
          > high-speed
          > connection. Of course I want the best possible sync, and I am under the
          > impression that there is some risk of losing but I don?t know much about
          > this.
          > There probably isn?t much difference in development time / complexity
          > between
          > (1) and (2).
          >
          > Which way would you go? (And, why?)

I probably wouldn't use Captivate at all for a project like this. I'd
          probably use Flash, Authorware, Director, QuickTime, dynamic HTML - pretty
          much anything *but* Captivate. Probably I'd plump for Flash, as it is better
          suited to being a container for movie/animated content created.

But assuming using a different tool is not an option for you, I'd include
          the audio in the animation, rather then trying to sync separate audio and
          animation.

Steve

--
          --
          http://twitter.com/Stevehoward999

Adobe Community Expert: eLearning, Mobile and Devices
          European eLearning Summit - EeLS
          Adobe-sponsored eLearning conference.
          http://www.elearningsummit.eu

• 2. Re: Which way to go?
            ebls2011 Level 1

I tried to embed the audio in an animation and then insert into captivate but the problem is the audio will be out of sync no matter what. I found a widget from Adobe to fix this "Audio out of sync" issue but another problem occurs. The Audio will not stop even though you jump to different slides! I have posted this on the forum but so far there is noone reply on how to fix this another problem.

I have just upgraded my captivate to 5.5 and i thought it should be a rapid learning tool and easy to use but when you start doing it then you will find that having to troubleshoot and find the work around for all these issues taking so much of your time so I'm quite frustrated about it.