13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2016 11:45 AM by MichelBParis

How to license ACR standalone ?

levm67 Level 1

I understand that the free version of ACR is read-only.

Is there a way to license a full version of ACR without licensing PS or LR ?

• 1. Re: How to license ACR standalone ?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Where are you seeing that there is a free ACR that is readonly?

• 2. Re: How to license ACR standalone ?
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) is a plug-in for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. It cannot function as a standalone program. Lightroom has all of the Camera Raw functionality built into it. So you can purchase and install Lightroom and have everything Camera Raw has to offer. However, Camera Raw cannot function by itself.

• 3. Re: How to license ACR standalone ?
              levm67 Level 1

Sorry - you are right Jim - my wording was not precise enough - it shoud have been "How to use the full functionality of ACR plugin with Adobe Bridge CC"

That the free ACR has restricted functionaltity is mentioned here

"You must have Photoshop or After Effects installed to open files in the Camera Raw dialog box from Adobe Bridge. However, if Photoshop or After Effects is not installed, you can still preview the images and see their metadata in Adobe Bridge. If another application is associated with the image file type, it’s possible to open the file in that application from Adobe Bridge"

• 4. Re: How to license ACR standalone ?
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You cannot use ACR with Bridge unless you purchase a license to use Photoshop, or After Effects.

What about the paragraph you quoted isn’t clear?

• 5. Re: How to license ACR standalone ?

The paragraph is quite straightforward. You either have to have Photoshop or After Effects installed in order to open an image in Camera Raw. Otherwise, you can view the metadata in Bridge. You can do that in Bridge regardless of whether Camera Raw is installed. However, Camera Raw cannot function with just Bridge.

• 6. Re: How to license ACR standalone ?
                    deejjjaaaa Level 2

> However, Camera Raw cannot function with just Bridge.

make an experiement... for example you have CC installed, so just rename PS CC folder for a moment, start Bridge and invoke ACR - it will work... w/o being able to access PS that is...   and you can then just save output directly from ACR to .tiff for example (naturally open to PS will fail, as the folder was renamed)... so please stop telling tales - it is one thing that Adobe coded ACR to check what is present and a totally different thing what is really necessary.... ACR is a fully standalone program designed to refuse to run w/o either Bridge or PS

• 7. Re: How to license ACR standalone ?
                      annamariec16301825 Level 1

That said, since CS6 is no longer being repaired and Photo Downloader stopped working on Mac El Capitan and later, can Bridge CC be used as a substitute?  Fully licensed CS6 shrinkwrap purchase installed with Bridge CC, will CC ACR and photodownloader work?  What I am asking is fully functional and easy to use.  Like many others I am not looking to start paying monthly for something I already paid for.  CS6 meets my needs.

• 8. Re: How to license ACR standalone ?

Bridge is a companion program to Photoshop and other Adobe products. As far as I know, you cannot just purchase and install Bridge. If you want a standalone solution that gives you all of the raw editing power then purchase Lightroom 6. It is a standalone program that has all of the raw editing capability that Camera Raw does. Lightroom does not utilize the camera raw plug-in. That technology is part of the Lightroom program. Lightroom 6 is periodically updated to support new cameras. When/if Lightroom 7 is released there will be new features added that have already been added to the CC version. But since you are among a large group that doesn't want to subscribe it will be necessary for you to wait for another upgrade to the standalone version to get the new features. Lightroom is your standalone, pay once solution.

• 9. Re: How to license ACR standalone ?
                          MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

See that discussion:

Bridge: free for all? | Photoshop Elements & More

http://photoshopelementsandmore.com/thread/1584/bridge-free-all

What I can say is that you get a (limited) version of ACR with Elements. I don't miss the other features, the Elements editor offers solutions for nearly all of them.

I have now both CC and Elements installed.

• 10. Re: How to license ACR standalone ?

There is nothing in that paragraph you quoted indicating that there is a "free" or standalone camera raw. You must have a compatible application installed in order to use camera raw. The only "standalone", if you want to call it that, version of camera raw is Lightroom. Lightroom has all of the camera raw features built into it. So it does not use the camera raw plug-in.

• 11. Re: How to license ACR standalone ?
                              annamariec16301825 Level 1

Everyone has a different interpretation of what works and what doesn't.  The question is simple is a fully licensed shrink wrap CS6 Camera RAW a "compatible application" to the CC Bridge?

• 12. Re: How to license ACR standalone ?

MichelBParis wrote:

See that discussion:

Bridge: free for all? | Photoshop Elements & More

http://photoshopelementsandmore.com/thread/1584/bridge-free-all

What I can say is that you get a (limited) version of ACR with Elements. I don't miss the other features, the Elements editor offers solutions for nearly all of them.

I have now both CC and Elements installed.

Edit:

With both Photoshop CC and Elements 15 installed, I can use bridge to open raw files in either CC or Elements ACR versions, I have to choose between both, and as expected, only CC has the full ACR version.

If, for a jpeg, I use the 'Open with camera raw' in bridge, only the CC version is available in my case. It's not clear from the second link if the reduced version of Elements ACR would be used if CC was not installed...

So, Elements is a 'qualifying' product to use Bridge free with the ACR Elements version.

• 13. Re: How to license ACR standalone ?

annamariec16301825 wrote:

Everyone has a different interpretation of what works and what doesn't. The question is simple is a fully licensed shrink wrap CS6 Camera RAW a "compatible application" to the CC Bridge?

From the answer from Andrei Dubrovsky in the link I gave, that would not offer the latest ACR version.