14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 9:29 AM by Sorokaste

Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing

Sorokaste

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to these kinds of things...

I just bought Premiere Elements 14 together with Photoshop Elements 14. Photoshop is working like a champ, but Premiere is acting pretty laggy, and it's always only a matter of time before I get a messege telling me that the program "has stopped working". Even though the video I'm editing is only 30 seconds long. I almost get the feeling that my computer can't handle the program, but I bought it less than a month ago and the guy at the store said that it should be fine to edit videos with it. Or was he wrong?

Computer info:

-System: Windows 10 (64 bit)

-CPU: AMD A8-7410 / 2.2 GHz

-8GB RAM

-1GB dedicated graphic memory

Not sure if you need more information (I have to translate the terms from Swedish), but let me know in that case.

The things I've tried so far is:

-Installed Quick Time (version 7.7.6)

-Installed Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 (as suggested here: Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements do not launch | Windows 10)

Is there something I'm missing here? Should Premiere work on my laptop, or is there perhaps something I've forgot to install?

Please answer as soon as you can. If my computer can't handle Premiere, I might have to return the product ASAP and see if I can get my money back...

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As you can see from this benchmark chart, your processor is rather marginal for high-def video editing. I usually recommend a rating of 5500 or more for smooth editing.

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - High Mid Range CPUs

But a lot depends on what model of camcorder your video is coming from and what format and resolution it is.

Though I can't imagine a 30-second clip would overwhelm the program on your system -- unless it's from a non-camcorder source.

When you add this clip to your timeline in Expert view, is there a yellow orange line above the clip, along the top of the timeline, as in my illustration?

RenderLine.jpg

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing
            Sorokaste Level 1

Thank you for answering!

I was told that this CPU would "probably" be able to handle Premiere elements, but the employee did suggest a different copmuter with an i5 processor instead, just to be safe. He claimed that the AMD processors are more suited for gaming...

I just checked, and it seems like I do have that orange render line in my clip. Also, I'm afraid that I have to admit my shortcomings when it comes to the terminology here, since I'm not sure of what a "camcorder" is...

Do you think it's possible to make Premiere work for my computer? Or should I look into returning the product?

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing

A camcorder is the video camera or device that you're shooting your video with. What device did you use to create this video?

The yellow-orange line above the video clip indicates that the project settings do not match the clip's specs, which can give you very poor performance and stability.

Look under the Edit menu and note the Project Settings on the General page.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing
                Sorokaste Level 1

The video is a music video my sister made a couple of years ago. I think she downloaded the clips online (the clips are from a cartoon), but I don't know from where. I'm only using it in order to try out the functions in Premiere. The speed(?) of the video is 5500kbit/s and 5692kbit/s, with 29 frames a second (at least it says so when checking the video's properties).

Thank you for the info! Though, when I clicked the Edit menu, most of the options in Project Settings are grey and unclickable for me..

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing

That's correct. You can't CHANGE the Project Settings. But please tell us what they are.

Then open a sample of the video in the free download Media Info and post a screen capture of the Media Info report to this forum.

We need to figure out how to match the project settings to your video specs -- if possible.

Meantime, what format is your video? AVI, MOV, MP4, etc.?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing
                    Sorokaste Level 1

Oh, alright.

The project settings are... in Swedish. And I'm not entirely sure how to translate these words into English. But I assume that the placement are the same, so I took a screen shot of the General page.

premiere problem 1.png

I'm not sure what the "free download media info" is. Does the media info look something like this?

premiere problem 2.png

(Again, it's in Swedish... But if it's unclear, I can try and translate it)

The video is a WMV-file. But I do have some videos in mp4 format that I was hoping to edit.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing

Unfortunately, WMV is not the ideal format for editable video. The program is going to be sluggish with this type of video. But here's how to make the most of it.

Because the video is a WMV file, you'll need to manually set up your project to match the video's specs. Unfortunately, you can only do this when you start a new project. You can't change the project settings for an existing file.

Go to the File menu and select New File. On the New File option panel, click Settings and, on the Project Settings panel, select the preset for DV/Widescreen. Click OK then, back on the New Project panel, check the option to Force Settings. Click OK to start the project.

Add the video to your timeline. Whenever you see a yellow orange "render" line above your clips in Expert view, render your timeline by pressing the Enter key on your keyboard.

RenderLine.jpg

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing
                        Sorokaste Level 1

This is very helpful information, thank you again. I will try this today and let you know how it goes.

I do have the means to convert the WMV files into other formats, like mp4. Would that be easier to work with? Which format do you recommend, and what setting should I pick for it when starting a new project?

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing

You can try an MP4 and see if you get better results.

Once again, the key is to get a format that does NOT display that yellow-orange line above the first clip on the timeline (until you add effects to it). That will indicate a match of project settings and video specs.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing
                            Sorokaste Level 1

I tried the settings you suggested, but the yellow/orange line remains. I've been playing around a little with different settings, but I can't seem to find a setting that won't make that line appear when I add the clip to the timeline.

I also tried a MP4 video, and tried different formats and setting for that one as well, but the line is always there. I tried to edit it anyway (after clicking "Enter" and thus turning the line green), and it didn't crash this time. Instead, the video turned black after a while and only the audio worked. Any new clips stayed black with only a working audio. I had to turn off the program. When trying to open Premiere again, it wouldn't load.

It seems to me that I'm either missing something here, or that Premiere Elements 14 is an unusally glitchy version, or that (like you suggested) my CPU isn't strong enough to handle this program. I'm leaning towards the latter.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing

Sorry, I don't know what more to suggest.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing
                                pgauba Adobe Employee

As you mentioned in your clip properties that the clip dimension is 854x480 and that is not the standard one.

If clip dimension and frame rate does not match the Premiere elements project settings then you will see this orange line and if you want to play video smoothly, you need to render the file. If you click on enter button it will render the timeline and line will change from orange to green.

You can check the project settings(what all available in Premiere elements) to click on change settings button while creating a new project.

Can you please share the file(if possible), so we can work on this issue and try to resolve.

Thanks,

Pankaj Gauba

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing
                                  Sorokaste Level 1

It's alright. Thank you immensely for all your help though. At least I know more now.

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 14 keeps crashing
                                    Sorokaste Level 1

I'd be happy to share the clip, but I'm not certain how.

So if I add a clip from Media, and there isn't an orange/yellow line above it, it means that the settings are good and there should be no problem editing the clip? A friend of mine (who has dabbled with several video editing programs) expressed surprise that Premiere Elements would require such specific pre-setting for one video clip in order to function properly. Or is it that it just makes it easier for the program to handle the clip, especially when the processor might be less than adequate? (I'm still unsure whether my laptop really is that substandard for Premiere. As far as I saw, it met the requirements.)