5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2016 3:29 PM by Steve Grisetti

“adobe premiere element 13 has stopped working”

Jimmy RG Level 1

“adobe premiere element 13 has stopped working”

I recently purchased a new computer and transferred all of my files from the old computer to the new.

I have successfully disabled the licensing from the old computer and installed premiere elements 13 on my new computer and updated to premiere elements 13.1.  When I open an existing project (one that I had successfully completed on the old computer and transferred to my new computer) it will load, but all media is off-line.  I relinked some of the media (not all) and decided to save the file and work on it later.

After restarting PE13 and viewing the welcome screen, I clicked on “Video Editor”, selected “Existing Project” and then selected the project that I had previously worked on and had relinked a few of the media files.  I get the “Loading Media” window and it completes showing 100% loaded and I then immediately the message “Adobe Premiere Element 13 has stopped working”.

I have reloaded the existing project several times from the “old” computer and get the same results as described above.  Each time I “save” the project and attempt to reopen, I get the same results.  After several attempts with the same results, I decided I would run a test by creating a new project on the “new” computer, save it and then reopen.   The test proved positive.  Everything worked fine as it should.

The new computer is Windows 7 Professional 64 bit;  2TB 7200 rpm hard drive + 32 GB SSD Cache;  AMD Radeon HD 270 2GB GDDrR 5 Graphics Card;  24 GB of memory.

I have tried the solutions you suggested on previous post dated 6-26-2015 (in response to dontaem94993599)

Fortunately I had completed the project and burned discs.  My only concern is that if I wanted to go back and edit or modify my project, I want be able to.

Doe anyone have any suggestions.

Jimmy RG

• 1. Re: “adobe premiere element 13 has stopped working”
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your NEW computer is Windows 7 rather than Windows 10? Was your old computer also Windows 7?

Is your version of Premiere Elements 13 the 32-bit version or 64-bit version?

It sounds as though your only issue is with projects created on your old computer. Is that right? Otherwise the program works fine.

BTW, you have manually gone to Windows Update and ensured you have all of the updates, including the non-critical updates that don't install automatically, right? And you've got the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

Have you also gone to the Premiere Elements Help menu and checked for program updates? Adobe has issued several.

• 2. Re: “adobe premiere element 13 has stopped working”
            Jimmy RG Level 1

My new computer is Window 7 Professional.  The old computer was Windows 7 Home Premium

My Premiere Elements 13 is the 64-bit version

You are correct in that the only issue is with projects created on my old computer.

I have gone back and manually installed all Windows updates.  Did that today and still have the same problem.

I am running the latest version of Quicktime.

I checked the latest updates for Premiere Elements and the website said I have the latest updates installed.

Thanks for the quick response.

Jimmy RG

• 3. Re: “adobe premiere element 13 has stopped working”

So were both versions of Windows 7 64-bit?

Everything you've told us seems to indicate that the key is the difference between the two computers. I can't imagine Premiere Elements would handle files differently on Home Premium than it would on Professional, but...

Well, something is clearly different, and it's not the program.

• 4. Re: “adobe premiere element 13 has stopped working”
                Jimmy RG Level 1

Yes, both were 64-bit.

Just to be sure (because I’m not expert in evaluating the ins and outs of programs and file structures), if I go back to my old computer and copy the “.prel” file, from what subfolder should I copy the project file name?  Or is this irrelevant?

There is a difference between my “old” and “new” computer file structures.

OLD Computer:

Local Disk C

Users

“Owner 1”

NEW Computer:

Local Disk C

Users

“Owner 2”

I don’t know if this makes a difference or not.  But I used an Owner name on my “new” computer different from the one on the “old” computer.

Thanks,

JImm RG

• 5. Re: “adobe premiere element 13 has stopped working”

It should make no difference.