11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2016 12:08 PM by 4nandezD

old lightroom version opening or wrong edit tools

4nandezD

The last couple of times that I've opened Lightroom CC it does't open the right version or it's not opening the right edit tools.  It opens exposure - contrast, highlights, shadows, whites, and blacks - there's no brighten bar

• 1. Re: old lightroom version opening or wrong edit tools
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That tools you are seeing are the tools that are in process version 2012 which is the current updated process version. The brightness adjustment that you refer to can be had if you go to the calibration section and change the process version to 2010. However, I think you will discover that you get better results with the more recent tools.

• 2. Re: old lightroom version opening or wrong edit tools
            dj_paige Level 9

4nandezD wrote:

The last couple of times that I've opened Lightroom CC it does't open the right version or it's not opening the right edit tools.  It opens exposure - contrast, highlights, shadows, whites, and blacks - there's no brighten bar

These are the NEW Lightroom tools, not the OLD Lightroom tools.

You do not want to go back to the old tools which include Fill Light, with the old tools you will not get anywhere close to the image quality when you edit of the current NEW Lightroom tools.

• 3. Re: old lightroom version opening or wrong edit tools
              4nandezD Level 1

I guess the question I should ask is why it opens with different edit tools at different times then.

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/xp9y6l>

• 4. Re: old lightroom version opening or wrong edit tools
                dj_paige Level 9

Photos that were edited using Process Version 2010 or Process Version 2003 remain in the older process versions. New photos ought to be opened with Process Version 2012, which is the current and most capable version.

• 5. Re: old lightroom version opening or wrong edit tools
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

4nandezD wrote:

I guess the question I should ask is why it opens with different edit tools at different times then.

LR 3 and earlier versions only had Process Version 2003 and 2010. Image files you imported into LR 3 or earlier are not "automatically" updated to the newer Process Version 2012 in LR 4, 5 & 6. However, any new files you import into LR 4, 5 & 6 will show the new Process Version 2012 controls. As already mentioned you will get better results using PV2012, but you can select whatever version you like in the Camera Calibration panel> Process selector.

• 6. Re: old lightroom version opening or wrong edit tools
                    4nandezD Level 1

Yes - I understand that.  The question is when I open lightoom cc why does it open different tools randomly sometimes I get old version and sometimes new... that is where my confusion seems to come from... but it's not a huge deal... thank you all for responding.

• 7. Re: old lightroom version opening or wrong edit tools
                      dj_paige Level 9

Are these new photos that sometimes randomly seem to have different Process Versions (and different editing tools)? One reason could be because you assign different presets to the photos, where Preset A uses Process Version 2012 and Preset B uses Process Version 2010.

• 8. Re: old lightroom version opening or wrong edit tools

4nandezD wrote:

Yes - I understand that.  The question is when I open lightoom cc why does it open different tools randomly sometimes I get old version and sometimes new... that is where my confusion seems to come from... but it's not a huge deal... thank you all for responding.

When you open LR and select an image file to edit in the Develop module the last edit state will appear in the Basic panel. You said concerning LR CC, "It opens exposure - contrast, highlights, shadows, whites, and blacks - there's no brighten bar." This tells me you have edited some images using PV2010, which has Exposure, Recovery, Fill Light, Brightness, and Contrast controls. The newer PV2012 controls are applied to all new image files you import into LR CC, which does not contain a Brightness slider. The Basic panel controls (2010 or 2012) you see inside the LR Develop module are dependent on the file that is currently selected (newly imported file or PV2010 edited file). Are you seeing a specific file that you know was edited using PV2010 (i.e. Brightness) change to PV2012 when you return to it at later date? If so then there is another issue at work such as a preset being applied that changes the Process Version. This can also happen if you're using more than one LR Catalog file.

• 9. Re: old lightroom version opening or wrong edit tools
                          4nandezD Level 1

Perfect answer!! Thank you

• 10. Re: old lightroom version opening or wrong edit tools

Glad that helped! I've been using LR since 1.0 and about 50% of my image files are still PV2010. If you're happy with images previously edited using PV2010 (LR 1, 2, 3) there's no need to update them to PV2012. The best candidates for PV2012 are high-contrast images with very bright highlights (sky, sun) and/or very dark shadow areas. Normal and low contrast images will show less difference using PV2012. However, it does make sense to use PV2012 will all new image files you import. I've created a Basic panel adjustment tutorial you may find helpful. It's based on compiled experience using PV2012 since January 2012 (LR 4.0). Enjoy!

Dropbox - Lightroom PV2012 Basic Tone Control Adjustments.pdf

• 11. Re: old lightroom version opening or wrong edit tools
                              4nandezD Level 1

Thanks - I will look at that!  I've been using lightroom since 3.5 but only just within the last year went to CC so quite a few changes and adjusting to photoshop as well.

Thanks again for the help.