11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2016 1:22 PM by lilil65115198

CAMERA CALIBRATION : Lightroom 6.3

lilil65115198

Ive uploaded DNG Pictures ..

PROCESS 2012

PROFILE Reads  [1] Embedded [2] Adobe Standard ..

Im using Leica SL and Leics S2 Type 6 ..

Im assuming my cameras should be in the Profile dropdown ..

Id be grateful for Step by Step help leading me through how to achieve this ..

bearing in mind I'm new to Lightroom and still learning ..  and sort of know what I'm doing but dont ..

Ive transferred Library into Users and found Adobe Raw .. and I darent mess around too much

thanks in Advance

Missus L

• 1. Re: CAMERA CALIBRATION : Lightroom 6.3
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Right that's it. All other Camera Calibrations you have to do yourself. You are using the SL or S2 T6 embedded profile or what Adobe thinks is a Standard profile for those cameras.

There isn't a List of different profiles because you haven't created any.

I have a list of different profiles for the Leica M8 because when I had my M8s I created and or downloaded premade profiles then modified some and loaded them into the ACR file structure. I did all that with ACR and they have carried over to LR.

When changing the camera calibrations in LR you make your changes then go to Develop menu, New Preset, Give it a name, Uncheck everything (Button at the bottom, Check None) then check Calibration and Process check boxes. That preset will then show up in the left hand panel under User Presets.

• 2. Re: CAMERA CALIBRATION : Lightroom 6.3

Also update your LR install to CC 2015.5 or 6.5 (Actually they are the same update so you can use either with whichever version of LR you are using).

• 3. Re: CAMERA CALIBRATION : Lightroom 6.3
              lilil65115198 Level 1

Hi .. thanks for replying ..

I use LR 6.3

I'm sure ive seen camera listings somewhere on my Apple.. and thought i had to transfer to Library / Adobe/ Camera Raw to show in Camera Calibration dropdown

Leica Capture in DNG which i assumed was Raw  .. but perhaps Lightroom does not recognise DNG for camera Calibration ..

• 4. Re: CAMERA CALIBRATION : Lightroom 6.3

No not at all. LR sees the camera and the DNG as RAW. There are limited camera calibrations for Leica cameras. They are what Leica Embeds, which is listed (Embedded), and what Adobe thinks the calibration should be, which is also listed (Adobe Standard). All others you have to create yourself or find a site that has done this work already and download and install them.

Your other cameras may have multiple entries because they have In Camera options that Adobe is trying to recreate. Like my Fuji X-E2 Adobe has included all the In Camera Film simulations. To my knowledge Leica doesn't have that even in the camera. It is what it is unless you create a profile and save it as a preset.

When I view one of my M8 files I am presented with 7 options. Two of them are Camera Standard and Adobe Standard. The other 5 are ones I've created and saved or downloaded, installed and modified or not.

So open the menu on your Leica, either one, and see if there are options like High Contrast, Portrait or whatever for calibrating the camera for different image situations. IIRC there wasn't any on the M8. Even if there are they are for JPG capture only. Leica is a Purist. They don't beleive in all these funny in camera filters. You capture the shot as the sensor see it and how Leica decides it should look. Then if you want to make it look different you do that in post processing.

Nothing is stopping you from adjusting either of the 2 options you have and saving that as a Preset so it can be called up anytime you like.

• 5. Re: CAMERA CALIBRATION : Lightroom 6.3

Also there is a DNG Profile editor here.

Adobe - DNG Profile Editor : For Windows : DNG Profile Editor 1.0.4 : Thank You

And the instructions here.

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/cs6/DNGProfile_Edi torDocumentation.pdf

With these you can create your own .DCP files (Digital Camera Profile) and save them in a folder you create named for the specific camera stored in one of several places on your drive. One being C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera\NameOfCamera

I have several in several different places. Also in my User profile and some in D:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\CameraProfiles. D is where I install all my programs.

As the search I just did I have 6,503 .dcp files on my system for a total 1.1+GBs of space being used. Might be time to do some house (Computer) cleaning.

• 6. Re: CAMERA CALIBRATION : Lightroom 6.3
                    lilil65115198 Level 1

ah ... At first i thought LR saw  DNG as RAW but then someone told me the opposite ..

so thats good to know ..

.. are you saying with DNG pictures in LR there are only two dropdowns .. Embedded or Adobe

and Embedded will give me Leica Colours

Thanks

• 7. Re: CAMERA CALIBRATION : Lightroom 6.3

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. The Embedded will give you what Leica has programmed into the DNG RAW file as the Camera, actually Sensor, Calibration. Adobe standard will give you what Adobe has determined, decided, is the proper color calibration.

DNG is the extension for the Adobe Digital NeGative format which is RAW Sensor Data. Leica just uses that format for all of the Real Leica cameras (Not so for the Leica Branded Panasonic cameras they sell. I think that extension is RWL for the Leica branded models and RW2 for the Panasonic branded cameras).In the end a RAW file is RAW file no matter what extension it has, DNG, RWL, RW2, NEF, CR2 and so on. They are all RAW sensor data files.

• 8. Re: CAMERA CALIBRATION : Lightroom 6.3
                        lilil65115198 Level 1

Hoorah !  .. thanks .. just one thing .. once pictures are in Lightroom i dont suppose you can toggle between embedded and adobe standard to see the difference ... nope  just tried ..

• 9. Re: CAMERA CALIBRATION : Lightroom 6.3

Sure you can but if Adobe has done its job correctly, set up the Adobe standard profile properly, you won't see much of a difference.

Any time you change the camera profile you change how the RAW sensor data is interpreted.

• 10. Re: CAMERA CALIBRATION : Lightroom 6.3
                            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

.. are you saying with DNG pictures in LR there are only two dropdowns .. Embedded or Adobe

and Embedded will give me Leica Colours

Note that this is only true for your Leica where there is only one profile built-in to Lightroom, the Adobe standard one. For many other cameras (Nikon and Canon mostly), you'll see a list of profiles such as camera landscape, camera portrait, etc.. Adobe generated these to approximate the in-camera rendering with all the different picture styles that you can set your camera. This is independent of whether the file is proprietary raw or dng as long as the original image was recorded on one of the cameras Lightroom has camera profiles for.

• 11. Re: CAMERA CALIBRATION : Lightroom 6.3
                              lilil65115198 Level 1

I'll Load a few pictures taken with the Canon now .. see how that compares ..

I appreciate the help and will look at the links received ..  ..

Thank you very much