6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2006 9:43 AM by Peter Grainge

Borders disappear when new table cells added

cindy0711
      When I am working in a table and tab to enter a new table cell, it does not inherit its predecessors' borders. This seems to be a new problem since I upgraded to X5. Why are the cells not inheriting their predecessors' borders?

• 1. Re: Borders disappear when new table cells added
          cindy0711 Level 1
          Interestingly, when I copy and paste the previous row in TrueCode, it works fine -- e.g.:

<tr class=hcp2
          style="x-cell-content-align: top;"
          valign=top>
          <td colspan=1
          rowspan=1
          class=hcp5
          style="width: 21.083%;"
          width=21.083%>
          <p class=tabletext>Ping</td>
          <td colspan=1
          rowspan=1
          class=hcp6
          style="width: 13.96%;"
          width=13.96%>
          <p class=tabletext>Object</td>
          <td colspan=1
          rowspan=1
          class=hcp6
          style="width: 64.957%;"
          width=64.957%>
          <p class=tabletext>Allows access to the Ping objects, which detects when
          the target is no longer able to respond to the host.</td></tr>
          • 2. Re: Borders disappear when new table cells added
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
            That's not normally a problem with RH. In pure HTML a cell without content will lose borders, for that reason Dreamweaver, for example, puts a space in a cell to avoid that problem.

Looking at your code your table is, I think, created from the CSS rather than RH's own code? If so it could be something to do with the stylesheet definition.

Create a new table using RH's menu and see if that has the problem.

Also see if the missing borders appear when you generate the help.

• 3. Re: Borders disappear when new table cells added
              cindy0711 Level 1
              Thanks!

When I create the table from RH's menu, the problem does not exist. It is only when I insert a new cell (using the menu or toolbar button) or come to the end of a row and tab to insert a new row.

The missing borders do not appear when I generate the help.

Has my style sheet somehow become "disconnected" from RH? Is there some way to "reconnect" it (for lack of a better term) so I can tab/insert cells? Since I am updating a lot of existing tables, it's not really feasible for me to generate all new tables using the menu, nor to manually modify the code, as I am doing now.
              • 4. Re: Borders disappear when new table cells added
                Yes but do you mean when you add a new row to a table that was created from RH's menu/icons or a table you created using a style sheet. The fact that you are querying your style sheet suggests your tables are driven from there.

Specifically, if you add a table using the icon and then add a row to that, does the problem arise there?

Also you didn't say whether the problem corrects itself in the output or if the borders do appear there.

• 5. Re: Borders disappear when new table cells added
                  cindy0711 Level 1
                  "...do you mean when you add a new row to a table that was created from RH's menu/icons or a table you created using a style sheet" ... Yes, I add a new row to a table from the menu/icons. I don't know what yo mean by creating a table from a style sheet -- I just use the menu/icons, or press Tab to add a new row.

"Specifically, if you add a table using the icon and then add a row to that, does the problem arise there?" --> No. Only to existing tables. But I have too many tables to recreate them all; I need to simply add rows to existing tables, and that's where the problem is. That's what I don't understand.

"Also you didn't say whether the problem corrects itself in the output or if the borders do appear there." --> Actually I did -- see above -- "The missing borders do not appear when I generate the help." In other words, generating the help (the output) does not correct the problem. There are still no borders.
                  • 6. Re: Borders disappear when new table cells added
                    Sorry, missed that.

Import one of these tables into a new project and check it still has the problem. Then zip the project up and send it to me. I'll take a look tomorrow. If the content is confidential, just change to something else. Please make sure you use the same style sheet as your main project.