9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2016 5:46 AM by Steve Grisetti

File size limits of Adobe Premiere Elements

BreckFred

I had an old VHS tape converted to .avi.  It is huge - 125Gbytes.  I just want to break it into some parts, not really do any editing per se.  Can Adobe Premiere Elements handle a file that large?  I have a Mac Air, so I don't even have that much internal memory available, if that matters.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: File size limits of Adobe Premiere Elements
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Even if it can handle it, that must be about 10 hours of video.  I would use an application to split it into more manageable pieces to edit.

• 2. Re: File size limits of Adobe Premiere Elements
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Bob. That's an usually large file and, since Mac Airs are designed for portability rather than power, it's pretty unlikely you'll be able to edit it in Premiere Elements without a lot of problems. All the more so because you don't likely have a couple hundred gigs of free space on your hard drive for the program to use as scratch space.

It's also challenging that your file is an AVI, a format iMovie and many other Mac editors can't work with.

Do you know what codec it was saved as? Is it a DV-AVI 720x480? If your AVI uses a codec other than DV or is a resolution other than standard 720x480 (or 720x576 PAL), that's another level of challenge.

• 3. Re: File size limits of Adobe Premiere Elements
              BreckFred Level 1

Thanks for the replies.  If I knew how to split it, that would actually be the main thing that I want to do anyhow, but I don't know what software to use just to do that.  As to the detailed codec question, I don't have a clue, though I might be able to find out.  I just took this VHS tape that was maybe a few hours long into one of those conversion stores and this was the result.  I was pretty stunned at the size, but I went back yesterday to see what they might recommend to edit it (Adobe Premiere Elements) and mentioned that it was awfully huge, but the guy there didn't act like there was anything odd about that.  Just kinda shrugged.  I guess I could call and ask the codec question, but if there is an easy way just to break it into pieces, that's all I really need to do.

• 4. Re: File size limits of Adobe Premiere Elements

I suppose it's possible they telecined it as high-def or uncompressed for some reason -- which would indicate that these people know very little about VHS. Even a two hour VHS tape shouldn't produce a DV-AVI larger than 24 gigabytes.

That said, download a program called Media Info and open your video in it. You can do a screen capture of Media Info's report and post it to this forum. It will tell us what's inside this file and if there's something simple we can do to whittle it down to size without losing any quality.

• 5. Re: File size limits of Adobe Premiere Elements
                  BreckFred Level 1

Thanks for the tip.  So I've already learned something in this.  Attached is the Media Info analysis. Of course, it is gibberish to

me at this point.

Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 4.43.20 PM.png

• 6. Re: File size limits of Adobe Premiere Elements

Yes, there's definitely some weirdness there. I wonder why they chose to use the Xena codec instead of the traditional DV? The aspect ration (3:2) is also kind of weird -- along with the fact that the video is 25 fps when I assume you're using the NTSC and not European video format.

All of this to give us a 90 minute video that is 120 gigabytes in size. (A DV-AVI would have been closer to 18-19 gigs.) Man, what a mess! I don't know what video editor would be able to handle this video. Are you even able to play this video on your computer? (You may want to download and try VLC Media Player -- it's free -- since Quicktime will probably not play it.)

How do you feel about bringing this video back to these people and asking them to save it as a DV-AVI or even a DVD or MPEG? What they've given you is nearly unusable. (But if they won't help you, I'll see if I can figure out some way to convert it ourselves. Try them first though -- since it's better if they do it right in the first place rather than us trying to undo what they've done.)

• 7. Re: File size limits of Adobe Premiere Elements
                      BreckFred Level 1

Thanks so much for all your help, Steve.  I will definitely go back and ask them to give me something usable.

In fact, QuickTime would not play it, but I had VLC and it does play it OK.  Makes me think it would not be usable by nearly anyone.  Besides, how the heck do you give someone a 125 Gbyte file?

Thanks, again.

• 8. Re: File size limits of Adobe Premiere Elements
                        BreckFred Level 1

I think I've solved the problem, Steve.  I found some software from iSkysoft called iMedia Converter Deluxe.  I did a free trial run and it converted to .avi estimated at 1.4 Gbytes, but it would only convert 1/3 of the huge file.  But it had no trouble doing that, so I bought the software (I have another iSkysoft product called PDF Editor Pro that works great) and just did a full conversion to .mov and it did it fine.  Again, 1.4 Gbytes when completed.  I also bought (for another $15) a package called Video Editor for Mac.  I figure between all that I'm in good shape now.

Thanks again for all your help.  I learned a LOT!!

• 9. Re: File size limits of Adobe Premiere Elements

Glad you found a solution, BreckFred.