17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 6:11 AM by BobLevine

how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0

Wyncee

How do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0?  I am the original purchaser and I have my original disk with serial number.

I want to install on a new computer.   Thanks,  Selwyn

• 1. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

So, install it…as long as your new computer is running Windows XP or Mac System 9.

Anything later than that is not going to work.

• 2. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0
            Wyncee Level 1

Thanks Bob for answering so quickly. However, I do have Pagemaker 7 up and running on my Windows 7 Professional machine. It took a bit of speaking to different tech support people until I finally got a kind gentleman who was able to help me. He gave me an unlock key and the installer worked. This is in spite of my getting a few "it won't work" replies from different support personnel.So - I am sure you can understand why I have every confidence that it can be installed on Windows 10. I believe that Adobe can do just about anything.

If you like I can show you on Skype where and how Pagemaker 7 is running on my Windows 7 machine. Thanks Bob.  Selwyn

• 3. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0
              Jay Chevako Level 3

Pagemaker has never used an unlock key, all you had to do was enter the serial number. What tech support people did you talk to? Adobe has dropped support for pagemaker.

Good luck with windows 7.
              Jay

• 4. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0
                Wyncee Level 1

I have the original disks - which I bought from Adobe. The original serial number is on the case. When the installer begins it asks for the serial number. I type in the serial number and then it asks for an unlocking key. A couple of years ago (after Adobe had long since dropped support for Pagemaker) I wanted to install it on my laptop which runs Windows 7.  I spoke with several Adobe tech support people, I don't know their names. More than one of them told me that it couldn't be done. The third person I spoke with gave me an unlocking key, and a challenge code and it installed. It is running right now on my Windows 7 desktop and laptop. I want to install it on my new Windows 10 computer. I would be a happy camper if Adobe would give me an unlocking key - then the installer could continue. If it doesn't install on Windows 10, I will accept that - and that will be that. But I would like the unlocking key so the installer can proceed and we can see what happens. I would be delighted to show Adobe tech support exactly what happens on Skype.

• 5. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0

PM has been dead for 15 years. Expecting any kind of support is a pipe dream.

It’s time to move on.

• 6. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0
                    Wyncee Level 1

Hi Bob:

I'm 70 years old. Taking on a new learning curve is not so easy for me. I am not asking for any support from Adobe. I would just like to try to install a program I bought and paid for.

That's not support. Support is help with issues within the program.

I can accept the fact that the program might or might not install in Windows 10. Then that would be that. But it would be nice for the installer to give it a try.

I don't expect any help here. But it would be a nice surprise if it arrived:)

• 7. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0

I’m just the messenger. The chances of anyone even being able to help is so close to zero that I just don’t want you think there is any.

My best recommendation would be download a copy of scribus. It’s free and open source and far more powerful than Pagemaker.

• 8. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0
                        Jay Chevako Level 3

In the two decades I have worked with Pagemaker I have never heard of an unlocking key or a challenge code. The only other number PM will ask you for is a previous version serial number, If the version you have is an upgrade. If that is the case look for your previous versions of Pagemaker.

The last operating system Pagemaker was designed to work with was windows XP, to expect it to work with windows 10 is a bit much.
                        Jay

• 9. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0
                          Wyncee Level 1

Hi Jay:

Everything I have written in this discussion is true - including the part about the unlocking key and the challenge code. I keep very good notes on these things. In fact, I have a case # that was given to me by Adobe Tech Support: case # 209588195  This case is from 2012, so I wouldn't be surprised if it has been purged by now. Pagemaker does work on Windows 7. If I thought it would do me any good, I'd make a video of it working on Windows 7. Or better yet, I'll show you on a Skype call and I'll show you what happens when I try to install it on 10 - and I'll show you the serial number on the back of my original purchaser case.

So - I am sure that Adobe could make it possible for me to install. However, I am happy to accept that it might not run on 10 -- or even that it is highly unlikely that it will run on 10.

I'll bet you are surprised that it runs on 7 -- but it does. I know Adobe does not actively support it -- but there still is a Pagemaker Community on this Adobe website.

I certainly understand that Adobe doesn't want used copies to be sold on Ebay (which they are).  I certainly understand that the program should only be used by the original purchaser.

I am the original purchaser. I have spent hundreds (perhaps thousands) of hours creating Pagemaker documents. You can see some of my work - created in Photoshop and Pagemaker here:

Scale Degrees Explained by Music Theory Magic - YouTube

If that link doesn't work, please go to http://www.musictheorymagic.com and scroll down until you get to the "book previews."

Thank you,

Selwyn Silberblatt

• 10. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0
                            Jay Chevako Level 3

If you take really good notes, then why don't you have the unlock key and challenge code from the last time? It's not like they have changed the software since 2012.

Pagemaker may install on win 7, but the printer driver does not. PM is reliant on It's printer driver for professional output.

This is the pagemaker community, the only people who stick around and answer questions are the ones who still use pagelayout programs on a regular basis, and all of us have moved to Indesign about a decade ago.

Your best bet on pagemaker in windows 10 is to use something like Oracle VM Virtual box to install a virtual copy of windows XP onto your windows 10, you might be able to install Pm on that, but the printer driver still won't install.
                            Jay

• 11. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0
                              Wyncee Level 1

Thanks Bob. I'll check out Scribus. Thanks for sticking with this thread. I imagine its been a frustrating thread for you. I appreciate your positive suggestion.

Selwyn

• 12. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0
                                Wyncee Level 1

Hi Jay:

I really do take good notes and I do have the unlock keys and challenge codes from last time (see my notes below). They don't work now.  And in attempting to get Pagemaker installed I have gone through more than one set of unlock keys and challenge codes given to me by Adobe Tech Support. I'm not making this up to waste your time and mine. I'm telling you my actual experience.

Below are my notes.

Pagemaker 6.5 SN: [deleted by moderator]

Pagemaker 7 SN: [deleted by moderator]

Pagemaker 7.0 Win upgrade PN:27530363

Pagemaker reinstall (over copied program): [deleted by moderator]

Pagemaker reinstall (from upgrade disk only): [deleted by moderator]

Pagemaker reinstall 2012 

By the way. I looked up In Design as an alternative, and it seems like it no longer supports .pmd files.  I appreciate your sticking with this thread, but it is a bit frustrating when you say "Pagemaker "may" install on Windows 7. There is no "may" about it. I have it installed and running, as I have told you. And I have offered to show you on Skype. As far as Oracle VM, the problem is that the installer won't go beyond the first screen asking for a serial number - so it won't even get a chance to try.

Anyway, I surrender. I'll check out Scribus.

• 13. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0

Never post a serial number on the internet. I know it's old and all but it's still a bad idea.

I've deleted them from your post.

• 14. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0
                                    Jay Chevako Level 3

There is a lot of "May" when it comes to Pagemaker. It may work on Windows 10 with a virtual copy of windows XP (Oracle Vm), I have it installed on mine, that doesn't mean it will work for everyone.  Even on Windows XP or OS9 pagemaker was known for it's bizarre behavior, it was famous for suddenly stopping working for no apparent reason.  Idesign CS6 supports pmd files, and is available when you sign up for creative cloud, but I think Scribus or Serif Page Plus would be a better fit for you.

Jay

• 15. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0
                                      Wyncee Level 1

Thanks for the heads up. Thanks for deleting. I didn't know it was a "no-no."

• 16. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0
                                        Wyncee Level 1

Thanks Jay.

• 17. Re: how do I unlock my Pagemaker 7.0

Even though you may be replying by email, those replies go straight to the publicly visible Adobe forums.