11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2016 5:40 PM by dj_paige

hello

konstantinosk9977683

since a week i am facing a really strange problem in my lightroom catalogue

i am a photography student and use a windows computer at home and a mac in school

my lightroom catalogue i s stored in my harddrive as well as all my pictures

my pictures are perfectly archived and i havent moved or changed anything

i find my self for the second time in the situation that i open my catalogue and all the pictures are not to be found

the exclamation mark in the right upper side of every picture

when i click the exclamation mark and i find the picture exactly where it was and indicates to me that the file was before i find my file and cllick as well find pictures in close location

the pictures are not found

does anyone know where the problem might be and what should i do to solve it ?

• 1. Re: hello
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem is that you are moving files/folders using Finder or Explorer rather than using the LR Library.

• 2. Re: hello
            konstantinosk9977683 Level 1

thank you for answering

but no i am not moving my files in finder

i do everything in lightroom

• 3. Re: hello
              dj_paige Level 9

i find my self for the second time in the situation that i open my catalogue and all the pictures are not to be found

the exclamation mark in the right upper side of every picture

Even if you have not moved the files, the way Mac and Windows computers reference the files on your hard disk are different, and so every time you move the disk with the photos you may find that the computers do not recognize the location. The only way I know of the fix the problem is to tell Lightroom to re-link to the photos. Here are the instructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 4. Re: hello

i just found the solution  and got all my files back together

through my yesterdays backup

but still i cant understand why this is happening and if it is going to keep happening

not finding a file in lightroom is because you move it around in your hard drive independently from lightroom

but not finding your file when it has not changed place is strange

• 5. Re: hello
                  dj_paige Level 9

Are you or are you not plugging in an external hard drive with your photos?

If yes, that could easily be the cause of the problem.

• 6. Re: hello

thank you for answering

yes my lightroom catalogue is in my harddrive as well as all my pictures stored in specific locations

other photographers as well i know have a stable pc computer home and opening the catalogue on mac doesnt cause any problem

so i think the problem is less based on mac-pc relation

• 7. Re: hello
                      dj_paige Level 9

I'm not sure I understand your answer.

yes my lightroom catalogue is in my harddrive as well as all my pictures stored in specific locations

I didn't ask about your catalog, I asked about your photos, and I specifically asked if it was an external hard drive (you don't specify if the drive is external) that is plugged in and unplugged.

So, the be extremely clear, my question is:

Are your PHOTOS on an EXTERNAL hard drive that is plugged in and unplugged from time to time?

• 8. Re: hello

a yes

of course sorry now i understood the question

well yes my photos are stored in an external harddrive

but i dont see how this can affect my problem?

thank you for your answers and interest to help

• 9. Re: hello
                          dj_paige Level 9

Again, I think you're not understanding the questeion or I'm not understanding the answer.

The question was: Are your PHOTOS on an EXTERNAL hard drive that is plugged in and unplugged from time to time?

Could you please answer whether or not this hard drive is plugged in and then later unplugged from time to time?

• 10. Re: hello

yes it is an external harddrive and it is plugged in and out from time to time

(how else would i transport lightroom and the pictures and open it in another computer if it wasnt a external hardrive and it wasnt plugged in and out from time to time)

thank you

• 11. Re: hello
                              dj_paige Level 9

This is a problem when external hard drives are plugged in and then unplugged and plugged in again. The reference to the photos (which is in the Lightroom catalog) may not be correct when you plug the hard drive into the computer, and so you must re-link as explained in the article I linked to above.