7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2016 4:12 PM by crispe123

Program freeze on marquee keyframe selection

crispe123

Hi, I'm getting a frustrating problem in After Effects CC2015 whereby the program freezes up for a few seconds (spinning beachball of death) when dragging a marquee to select multiple keyframes. In fact, it seems to be any time the input is held down for more than a few seconds. This occurs the same with both the mouse button down and wacom pen down. This is only occurring in AE2015, no other Adobe programs, AE2014, CS6 are also fine.

The program seems to be ok for the first 10-15 minutes of use but then once the freezing occurs it continues to occur for every marquee from then on until the program is restarted.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any fixes?

My specs/details:

Mac OSX El Capitan (10.11.3)

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

32GB 1600 MHz DDR3 ram

NVIDIA GeFore GTX 680MX 2048mb

After Effects CC2015 version 13.7.0.124

• 1. Re: Program freeze on marquee keyframe selection
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That sounds really frustrating!

While I don't expect it to fix it, try updating to 13.7.1 which released yesterday (if nothing else, it will get rid of the preview not reaching real time issue).

If that doesn't fix it, I would highly recommend filing a bug report: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 2. Re: Program freeze on marquee keyframe selection
            crispe123 Level 1

Thanks Szalam, I've filed a bug report. I thought perhaps it was a conflict with one of my many plugins, so I removed them all and reset the program preferences but the problem remains. This is just one on a long list of bugs I've had with CC2015 so I might just have to go back to using CC2014 unfortunately.

• 3. Re: Program freeze on marquee keyframe selection
              crispe123 Level 1

Update: This behaviour actually occurs in CC2014 as well, it just occurs less frequently and is initiated slower. It only occurs within the timeline panel, nowhere else in the app (eg I've marqueed for long periods in the project panel and composition panel and the hang never occurs). So I'm assuming it is something to do with adding the keyframes to memory or something like that rather than being related to the mouse/wacom input in general.

• 4. Re: Program freeze on marquee keyframe selection

That's unfortunate. There have been a few hard-to-pin-down bugs related to Wacom tablets and AE. This may be related and it may not. In either case, let's hope your information will help them track down the issue.

• 5. Re: Program freeze on marquee keyframe selection
                  crispe123 Level 1

Don't think its anything to do with the Wacom actually. I removed it from the system, deleted the drivers. The problem persists with just the mouse.

Thought perhaps I had a memory problem but I did a full system memory test and the memory is fine. Damn!

Not really sure what else to try

• Have removed all my plugins

• Reinstalled the program several times

• Reset the preferences

• Removed all unnecessary peripherals and monitors

• Checked the RAM

• Tested on empty projects as well as large projects

• Tested with Hardware Accelerated UI on and off

I feel like now it might be a video card issue, does CC2014/15 utilise the video card in a different manner to CS6? I don't get the issue in AECS6.

• 6. Re: Program freeze on marquee keyframe selection

crispe123 wrote:

I feel like now it might be a video card issue, does CC2014/15 utilise the video card in a different manner to CS6? I don't get the issue in AECS6.

There really isn't much of a fundamental difference between CS6 and CC 2014 (except that [in most cases] CC 2014 runs a bit smoother and has some better features). CC 2015, on the other hand is quite different under the hood, so I would expect to see some things happen in CC 2015 that don't happen in CC 2014 and vise-versa - but not between CS6 and CC 2014...except for mouse issues like this.

I haven't any further ideas beyond updating graphics card drivers and whatnot just to make doubly sure.

Well, that and contacting Adobe support to see if they have any ideas. (And filing a bug report.)

• 7. Re: Program freeze on marquee keyframe selection
                      crispe123 Level 1

I actually bit the bullet and downgraded from El Capitan to Yosemite as that was around the time (I think) the problem started occurring. So far the problem hasn't returned, so perhaps it was an El Capitan conflict.