12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2008 2:13 PM by Newsgroup_User

Site check in IE 6 and other browsers?

Level 7
      I would really appreciate it if someone would check this draft page/site
      with IE 6, in particular.

We're looking for display problems - elements overlapping, displaying in
      ways they obviously shouldn't be, looking downright bad for any reason.
      (We're not looking for design thoughts or suggestions at this point.)

If anyone has time/patience to check it in other browsers, that would be
      great too.

http://fuentek.com/sites/GRC/

Thanks very much in advance to anybody who takes the time - much
      appreciated.

Best,

--
      Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
      Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
      Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
      --

• 1. Re: Site check in IE 6 and other browsers?
          Level 7

"P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <signup1REMOVE@ayersvirtualREMOVE.com> wrote in message
          news:gibo26$i94$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I would really appreciate it if someone would check this draft page/site
          >with IE 6, in particular.
          >
          > We're looking for display problems - elements overlapping, displaying in
          > ways they obviously shouldn't be, looking downright bad for any reason.
          > (We're not looking for design thoughts or suggestions at this point.)
          >
          > If anyone has time/patience to check it in other browsers, that would be
          > great too.
          >
          > http://fuentek.com/sites/GRC/

should the "what we offer" section start where the top of it is flush with
          the bottom of the right-hand column? If not, well, it's happening.

• 2. Re: Site check in IE 6 and other browsers?
            Level 7

"Hunter Elliott" <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote in message
            news:gibodv$irs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >
            > "P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <signup1REMOVE@ayersvirtualREMOVE.com> wrote in message
            > news:gibo26$i94$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >>I would really appreciate it if someone would check this draft page/site
            >>with IE 6, in particular.
            >>
            >> We're looking for display problems - elements overlapping, displaying in
            >> ways they obviously shouldn't be, looking downright bad for any reason.
            >> (We're not looking for design thoughts or suggestions at this point.)
            >>
            >> If anyone has time/patience to check it in other browsers, that would be
            >> great too.
            >>
            >> http://fuentek.com/sites/GRC/
            >
            > should the "what we offer" section start where the top of it is flush with
            > the bottom of the right-hand column? If not, well, it's happening.

Sorry, I'm not understanding you. I'm confused because the top of the "What
            We Offer" section is nowhere near the bottom of the right-hand column. Can
            you clarify?

--
            --

• 3. Re: Site check in IE 6 and other browsers?
              Level 7

news:gibojm$j15$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >
              > "Hunter Elliott" <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote in message
              > news:gibodv$irs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >>
              >> "P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <signup1REMOVE@ayersvirtualREMOVE.com> wrote in
              >> message news:gibo26$i94$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >>>I would really appreciate it if someone would check this draft page/site
              >>>with IE 6, in particular.
              >>>
              >>> We're looking for display problems - elements overlapping, displaying in
              >>> ways they obviously shouldn't be, looking downright bad for any reason.
              >>> (We're not looking for design thoughts or suggestions at this point.)
              >>>
              >>> If anyone has time/patience to check it in other browsers, that would be
              >>> great too.
              >>>
              >>> http://fuentek.com/sites/GRC/
              >>
              >> should the "what we offer" section start where the top of it is flush
              >> with the bottom of the right-hand column? If not, well, it's happening.
              >
              > ...the top of the "What We Offer" section is nowhere near the bottom of
              > the right-hand column.

At least, not for me. Also, can you tell me what browser you're using to
              check?

Thanks,

--
              --

• 4. Re: Site check in IE 6 and other browsers?
                Level 7

"Hunter Elliott" <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote in message
                news:gibodv$irs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >
                > "P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <signup1REMOVE@ayersvirtualREMOVE.com> wrote in message
                > news:gibo26$i94$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >>I would really appreciate it if someone would check this draft page/site
                >>with IE 6, in particular.
                >>
                >> We're looking for display problems - elements overlapping, displaying in
                >> ways they obviously shouldn't be, looking downright bad for any reason.
                >> (We're not looking for design thoughts or suggestions at this point.)
                >>
                >> If anyone has time/patience to check it in other browsers, that would be
                >> great too.
                >>
                >> http://fuentek.com/sites/GRC/
                >
                > should the "what we offer" section start where the top of it is flush with
                > the bottom of the right-hand column? If not, well, it's happening.

Ok, my Browsercam shots are showing something quite wrong with the display
                of that "What We Offer" section. If it looks completely wrong, no, that's
                not what we want. :-) If you can describe it a little more, or send a
                screen shot, that would be great.

--
                --

• 5. Re: Site check in IE 6 and other browsers?
                  Level 7

news:gibpeq$k2o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >
                  > "Hunter Elliott" <nospam@gatewaycity.com> wrote in message
                  > news:gibodv$irs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>
                  >> "P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <signup1REMOVE@ayersvirtualREMOVE.com> wrote in
                  >> message news:gibo26$i94$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>>I would really appreciate it if someone would check this draft page/site
                  >>>with IE 6, in particular.
                  >>>
                  >>> We're looking for display problems - elements overlapping, displaying in
                  >>> ways they obviously shouldn't be, looking downright bad for any reason.
                  >>> (We're not looking for design thoughts or suggestions at this point.)
                  >>>
                  >>> If anyone has time/patience to check it in other browsers, that would be
                  >>> great too.
                  >>>
                  >>> http://fuentek.com/sites/GRC/
                  >>
                  >> should the "what we offer" section start where the top of it is flush
                  >> with the bottom of the right-hand column? If not, well, it's happening.
                  >
                  > Ok, my Browsercam shots are showing something quite wrong with the display
                  > of that "What We Offer" section. If it looks completely wrong, no, that's
                  > not what we want. :-) If you can describe it a little more, or send a
                  > screen shot, that would be great.

Ok, I'll finish up talking to myself here - thanks Hunter, you're right, a
                  screenshot I just got shows that it's messed up in IE 6, as you describe. I
                  assume that's what you were using. Appreciate your help.

--
                  --

• 6. Re: Site check in IE 6 and other browsers?
                    Level 7
                    I can confirm Hunter's observation in IE6 - Win XP. What We Are is moved
                    down the middle of the page, about even with Quick Facts.

4 Screenshots here:
                    http://alt-web.com/Images/GRC-Test/

--
                    Nancy O.
                    Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                    www.alt-web.com

• 7. Re: Site check in IE 6 and other browsers?
                      Level 7

"Nancy O" <nancyoshea1@NOSPAMatt.net> wrote in message
                      news:gibqo4$lnm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >I can confirm Hunter's observation in IE6 - Win XP. What We Are is moved
                      > down the middle of the page, about even with Quick Facts.
                      >
                      > 4 Screenshots here:
                      > http://alt-web.com/Images/GRC-Test/

Hm, yup, seems to be a problem there for sure. Very kind of you, Nancy. I
                      really appreciate it.

--
                      --

• 8. Re: Site check in IE 6 and other browsers?
                        Level 7

news:gibojm$j15$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        ? If not, well, it's happening.
                        >
                        > Sorry, I'm not understanding you. I'm confused because the top of the
                        > "What
                        > We Offer" section is nowhere near the bottom of the right-hand column. Can
                        > you clarify?

In IE6, that section is not "starting" until it's clearing the right-hand
                        column, so it doesn't "appear" up top like the other columns - this NG
                        doesn't let me attach a screenshot. I'll try to send one to you in email.

• 9. Re: Site check in IE 6 and other browsers?
                          Level 7

> Ok, I'll finish up talking to myself here - thanks Hunter, you're right, a
                          > screenshot I just got shows that it's messed up in IE 6, as you describe.
                          > I assume that's what you were using. Appreciate your help.

yeah, just sent you a msg via your site with my email address to reply to so
                          I could send you a screenshot. yes, it was IE6 I was using.

• 10. Re: Site check in IE 6 and other browsers?
                            joeq Level 1
                            in safari on a mac...

in the what we offer box, the rules above and below each item are all messed up. sometimes they cut into the image, sometimes not... and, on the partnering with glenn one, the spacing above and below is uneven.

on the nav on the top, the second line of the second item in each of the first two menus is cut off. in addition, sometimes the red arrow (which is used to indicate that there are additional links in that section) covers some of the text.

in technologies (right side), the words 'for licensing' are on a line of their own all the way over to the left under the photo. looks weird.

in the footer, no underline appears when you rollover the links... which is inconsistent with how links are handled elsewhere.

it fails validation ( http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ffuentek.com%2Fsites%2FGRC%2F&charset=%28det ect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0)

and, not that you asked this to be checked, but it uses mailto links... which i find surprising.

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

great too.

appreciated.

Best,

--
                            --

• 11. Re: Site check in IE 6 and other browsers?
                              joeq Level 1
                              i just looked at some of the screenshots others posted and, again, on the what we offer box, the photos don't line up flush left. some are indented, some are not.

quote:

Originally posted by: joeq
                              in safari on a mac...

in the what we offer box, the rules above and below each item are all messed up. sometimes they cut into the image, sometimes not... and, on the partnering with glenn one, the spacing above and below is uneven.

on the nav on the top, the second line of the second item in each of the first two menus is cut off. in addition, sometimes the red arrow (which is used to indicate that there are additional links in that section) covers some of the text.

in technologies (right side), the words 'for licensing' are on a line of their own all the way over to the left under the photo. looks weird.

in the footer, no underline appears when you rollover the links... which is inconsistent with how links are handled elsewhere.

it fails validation ( http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ffuentek.com%2Fsites%2FGRC%2F&charset=%28det ect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0)

and, not that you asked this to be checked, but it uses mailto links... which i find surprising.

quote:

great too.

appreciated.

Best,

--
                              --

• 12. Re: Site check in IE 6 and other browsers?
                                Level 7
                                Thanks, Joe. I had nothing to do with the creation of this site; I've just
                                been asked to work on it. I'm well aware that it fails validation, yup.

Mac Safari problems duly noted.. thanks very much.

--
                                --

"joeq" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                news:gibt3t$omj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > in safari on a mac...
                                >
                                > in the what we offer box, the rules above and below each item are all
                                > messed
                                > up. sometimes they cut into the image, sometimes not... and, on the
                                > partnering
                                > with glenn one, the spacing above and below is uneven.
                                >
                                > on the nav on the top, the second line of the second item in each of the
                                > first
                                > two menus is cut off. in addition, sometimes the red arrow (which is used
                                > to
                                > indicate that there are additional links in that section) covers some of
                                > the
                                > text.
                                >
                                > in technologies (right side), the words 'for licensing' are on a line of
                                > their
                                > own all the way over to the left under the photo. looks weird.
                                >
                                > in the footer, no underline appears when you rollover the links... which
                                > is
                                > inconsistent with how links are handled elsewhere.
                                >
                                > it fails validation
                                > ( http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ffuentek.com%2Fsites%2FGRC%2F&cha
                                > rset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0)
                                >
                                > and, not that you asked this to be checked, but it uses mailto links...
                                > which
                                > i find surprising.
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                quote:

> I would really appreciate it if someone would check this draft page/site
                                > with IE 6, in particular.
                                >
                                > We're looking for display problems - elements overlapping, displaying in
                                > ways they obviously shouldn't be, looking downright bad for any reason.
                                > (We're not looking for design thoughts or suggestions at this point.)
                                >
                                > If anyone has time/patience to check it in other browsers, that would be
                                > great too.
                                >
                                > http://fuentek.com/sites/GRC/
                                >
                                > Thanks very much in advance to anybody who takes the time - much
                                > appreciated.
                                >
                                > Best,
                                >
                                > --
                                > Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                                > Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                                > Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                                > --
                                >
                                >

>
                                >
                                >