6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2016 8:00 AM by El Wombat

Audio not working with puppet pin tool

sammino

I am animating with the puppet pin tool in Adobe After effects. In previous versions when you hold down the command key and start dragging on the yellow puppet pin dots, you hear the audio and then  move the object to sync with the audio. I am using CC 2015 and cannot hear the audio this time. It was very embarrassing since I was teaching someone and realised this was not working. Any help will be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Audio not working with puppet pin tool
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You shouldn't be embarrassed. The help file even says it's supposed to work that way: Animating with Puppet tools in After Effects

Open that same project in AE CC 2014 and see if it works as you expect. Whether or not it works will help us narrow down the cause of the issue.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Audio not working with puppet pin tool
            El Wombat Level 2

Yes, the help file says it's supposed to work that way, only it doesn't.

I have the very same problem. I can not hear the audio while I am recording in real time which is basically the very point of animating the puppet in real time.

Any suggestions?

Thank you…

• 3. Re: Audio not working with puppet pin tool
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Yes, the help file says it's supposed to work that way, only it doesn't.

Szalam is saying it is supposed to work that way but this is a bug. you are correct that it is a very useful feature and should work. in the meantime you can use CC2014. and please file a bug report so we can all have better AE. Feature Request/Bug Report Form

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Audio not working with puppet pin tool
                El Wombat Level 2

Hi,

I'll just repost here what I answered in a parallel, related thread, followed by what I wrote in the bug form…

Hello Roel,

this is, to begin with, a great relief, for I was really getting desperate about it… Often times, some setting or other or whatever thing a user may have neglected is the cause, and I am able to solve most of any issues that way: by really getting into the matter and search, try, and dig. Mostly: this really helps solve specific issues and at the same time deepens the understanding of the software at hand.

And knowing Adobe's products to be quite sophisticated and usually working incredibly well, I thought I was missing out on something, and it has been making me restless. I was apprehending this issue last year (without success) in a private project and now I'm back for something I need for my professional projects and I am really restless about it.

And yes, I too remember it had already worked quite fine - I had chancellor Merkel dance quite nimbly to a punk song - and this quite coincides with what you said about this issue working well in a former version. Maybe it was 2014, dunno. Will see if I have that version somewhere and at the same time will post the issue here in the bug form as you suggested in the other post related to this issue (Feature Request/Bug Report Form) so that we will get a better AE!

Really appreciate your comment - thanks a lot…

Cheers,

Stefan

The Bug request form content:

Steps to Reproduce Bug:

1. Pin pins on a graphic

2. load a sound file into the comp

3. start the real time animation by pressing "cmd" and "left mouse"

Results:

Animation works well, creating all the keyframes, etc. but no sound.

Expected Results:

Sound should be audible so that you can properly animate accordingly.

In version cc 2014 it seems to work, the forum community says (I have also experienced it to work on a former version, only I don't remember which…)

• 5. Re: Audio not working with puppet pin tool
                  Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Thank you for posting this. hopefully this will resolve soon.

• 6. Re: Audio not working with puppet pin tool
                    El Wombat Level 2

Thank you for your effort, knowledge and concern, and thanks to Szalam, also, whom I indeed hadn't fully understood at first…