2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2016 12:03 PM by Rick Gerard

How To: image sequence post production breakdown question

Joe Tubb

Hello, I wanted to know if there are any tutorials on how to create an image sequence post production breakdown. Like the ones you see in CGI studios but with still images? I want to be able to have a line that goes across the image to reveal the next image to show the progression in the post production. Which application is better After Effects or Premiere Pro?

Very similar to this example:

Koncept making of post production breakdown - YouTube

Thank you!

• 1. Re: How To: image sequence post production breakdown question
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would do it in Premiere Pro rather than AE because it's a lot easier to edit to music with Premiere. After Effects isn't a video editing application, but Premiere Pro is. A simple wipe transition should do the trick.

• 2. Re: How To: image sequence post production breakdown question
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you were to try and recreate the sample video the most efficient way to do so would be to do most of the editing in Premiere Pro and then do the complex split screen shots as short sequences in AE and insert them into your Premiere Pro sequence. Trying to cut a complex five minute piece like the one in the example entirely in a single AE comp would be a nightmare for an experienced user.  You could do the entire thing in AE but if you did it would be best to break the shots down into short sequences that were no longer than a single phrase of music and then render them and do the final edit in Premiere Pro. You'll end up with a better product in the end and spend less time working on it.

The line that goes across the image to reveal the changes is just a layer that is animated. The reveal can be a track matte or an animated mask. The important thing to realize is that each separate animated element in the shot is a separate layer. That's how you do things in compositing apps like AE. Layers, layers, layers.