5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 10:51 PM by CoSA_DaveS

Does the application only use a web cam?

Jim Curtis Level 3

Or, can I import a movie of a professional actor?

• 1. Re: Does the application only use a web cam?
          KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There are two ways to use a prerecorded video. I prefer the second, finding it easier to use, especially for retakes.

1. In After Effects track the speaker's head and export to Character Animator.

2. Use a camera app CA recognizes -- I use manycam -- and play the precorded video while in CA. CA will see the video and treat it like a live camera.

• 2. Re: Does the application only use a web cam?
            Jim Curtis Level 3

Thank you for the reply.

Background:  I'm a pro, and have the capability to record an actress in front of green, black, white... whatever to a variety of HD formats.  We have bid on three sixty second videos.  We could animate in Ae the old-fashioned way: brute force, but this new Ca app looks like a potential time saver.  I've watched some videos on the Adobe site about building the character and connecting it to the performance.

We'd like to have the ability to record the actress, piece together a performance in Pr, export that to Ca and / or Ae, and animate a character.

Manycam appears to be Windows only, and I am all Mac.  I plan to do my work on a computer without a camera.

I can't seem to locate a manual for Ca; only on-line pages.

I found this text on the on-line doc:

"The recorded take is saved to a Recordings folder on disk (in the Ch Media subfolder of the current project folder)"

From that, I'm inferring that I could export something from Pr in the same format my web cam records, and Ca would recognize it. 

I can test this later, but am snowed today, and getting pressured from a client to ask if this is doable, and hoping somebody with experience can lend some advice.  If I get the job, it will be trial by fire.

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Does the application only use a web cam?
              KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can import audio files (wav and aiff) into CA, and these files will be recognized for lip sync. As far as I know the same cannot be done with any video format. The "takes" recorded in the CA project folder are arf files, recordings already made within CA with audio and/or live camera or played back video as I described above. I don't know what they can be used for.

Perhaps a CA tech will chime in here.

• 4. Re: Does the application only use a web cam?
                Jim Curtis Level 3

OK, thanks again for your input.

• 5. Re: Does the application only use a web cam?
                  CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

See this thread for more details on the workflow for tracking faces in existing video in AE: Re: animation using recorded video

1 person found this helpful