1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 10:10 AM by Peferling

Raid Configuration for feature doc

Capturefilms

HI,

I'm about to start editing a feature length documentary. After doing a bit of research it looks like my best option is to have a raid setup. However, I'm a little lost in some of the specifics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have just over 4tb of footage shot on canon c300 (50mbps MPEG 2 MXF)

1. Am I right in thinking a Raid 5 setup would be best?

2. Do you use the raid setup for scratch disks and preview files etc, if so, I should be looking at 16tb?

3. What is the best enclosure to buy? This is were I get really lost. There seems to be a thousand different hard drive enclosures that all have different spec ranging from £150 to £1000 And I really don't know what I'm looking for. Any links/recommendations would be great.

4. What is the best way to connect to the main unit, is it just USB?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit amateur, but it's all a forgien language to me!

Many thanks in advance,

Ben

• 1. Re: Raid Configuration for feature doc
          Peferling Level 4

Read up on the tweakers page:  Disk Setup

I also shoot with Canons to the same format as you, and ingest via the XF utility to single file wrapped in MXF.

I do short form in HD, several jobs a week.  I don't need much space at any one time, and can get by with 16MB of ram (You'll need much more for 4K and long form -I'm sure others will chime in):

I have 4 500GB SCSI drives to create a 1TB raid 10.  (Two drives stripe and the other two mirror), controlled via dedicated LSI 8i raid card on the fastest slot in my Dell T7610.

I would only use USB3 on external drive for cuts only at 2K.

I replace the drives every three years, (why wait for a failure).

I avoid conforms and mixed media in the same project like a plague. I stick with native formats for everything, (wav for audio, PSD for stills, and MXF in XD Cam format for video).  Even if I get a clip form a cell phone, or an MP3 from elsewhere, it's converted to a native format before importing.

I use an SSD for system.

My Cache files are on a third drive not sharing the same buss with the system drive.