3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2016 2:18 AM by Mylenium

Converting a CC Environment to a real 3D environment

lastala Level 1

Hi,

I would need to convert a 3D environment made with CC Environment (Probe mapping) to a real 3D environment. I need to be able to make camera drives in that 3D environment – not only turning around the center point and zooming in and out. The CC Environment is applied to video files, not stills.

Using CC Environment, the image becomes only a spherical backdrop, and the camera is tied to the center point. But I would need the sphere to be a space that I could make camera drives also elsewhere than the center point.

Anybody knows if this would be possible? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Converting a CC Environment to a real 3D environment
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Anybody knows if this would be possible?

How should it? There is no real 3D data, just pixels. If you want such stuff, you have to put in way more effort and reconstruct the scene using 3D layers, 3D plug-ins, 3D programs and lots of work extracting the "textures". I'm afraid you are looking for a one-button solution that doesn't exist (yet), even more so when the footage hasn't even been shot with VR in mind.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Converting a CC Environment to a real 3D environment
            lastala Level 1

Thank you Mylenium for your reply.

Well, the surface is flat (spherical, but no extrusion or intrusions), and that's fine. So no need to extract any 3D info. And the footage was shot "with VR in mind", but I just need to do camera drives inside the sphere, and elsewhere than only the center point.

I know CC Environment is just a perspective effect. Just hoped there would be a solution to convert the sphere created with CC Environment (or similar) to a real 3D sphere surface – and then make the camera drives inside this 3D sphere.

• 3. Re: Converting a CC Environment to a real 3D environment
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't follow. It's just an intra-layer effect, so there is exactly zero 3D interaction. You are completely looking in the wrong place. Aside from that I'm not sure how you would derive any realworld movement from a spherical projection that does not represent this stuff in any such form plus of course even if it made any sense and were possible, you'd see fuzzy pixels... I still think you are wanting the impossible.

Mylenium