20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2016 4:00 AM by Frans van der Geest (ACP)

Indesign PDF export wrong colour

abdullahseba

Hi

I'm new to Indesign and I just tried to export a leaflet as a PDF using the default settings.

Indesign displays some of the colours the wrong way and so does the PDF.

Anyone know what is going on?

Here is some screenshots and the colour it should be.

Thanks in advance.

The right tone of blue:

v12 Small.png

Indesign:

Image 001.png

PDF:

Image 002.png

• 1. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What settings did you use for the PDF export, and Waht are you using to view it? What is that color? RGB? CMYK? Spot?

Looks like there's some transparency in that arch. Is there supposed to be? What is the transparency blend space?

Have you viewed the file in ID with Overprint Preview turned on?

• 2. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour
            Frans van der Geest (ACP) Adobe Community Professional

I am afraid you have to learn something about colour and colour management (RGB, CMYK, Transparency blend mode, Spot vs Process, export using icc profiles) to understand what is going on. InDesign is not a simple editor like Word...

Most likely your saturated blue is RGB going to CMYK here. (Although a logo like this could be Spot).

• 3. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour
              abdullahseba Level 1

Thanks, I left the default PDF settings from the PDF high quality print option.

Indesign is set to the default settings apart from touch mode and I think it uses CMYK.

The arch was made transparent in Indesign using the gradient feather tool and the colour chosen with the built in colour picker.

Does this mean if I change the settings to RGB the problem would we solved?

I don't know what overprint is.

I'm using Microsoft edge to view it and Word displays it the same.

I don't have adobe acrobat as its too slow.

• 4. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If the image is RGB the blend space should also be set to RGB.

View the PDF in Adobe Reader, it's free, or in Acrobat. Any other viewer is likely not to be able to handle the transparency properly.

• 5. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour
                  abdullahseba Level 1

I tried it on Acrobat but it was still the same, however in ID I tried again to select the colour from the screen using the colour picker tool.

It got the blue RGB value right of: R1 G0 B102 but when I click OK than go back to it again, it goes back to where it was.

The problem got solved if I typed the RGB values manually.

ID still displays the colours incorrectly which is annoying, but the PDF is fine.

Thanks for your help.

Image 003.png

The colour ID displays rather the the RGB of 1,0,102:

Image 004.png

• 6. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour

And there is your answer: you are using RGB colours that will become CMYK of course in a print PDF. You have some reading up to do on using colours...

• 7. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour
                      abdullahseba Level 1

It should not do that, I've used lots of colour sensitive programs and all of them don't require any faffing about with colours.

And ID still displays the colours wrong  in the workspace but shows it right in the colour picker window as shown in the first screenshot.

The second screenshot shows the colour picker tool being used to pick the colour from the image on the second monitor, and as you can see it has got the right value of R1,G0,B102 BUT when I click OK than go back to the same window it goes back to R34,G31,B95.

If I type the correct RGB values manually in the same window and click OK, it stays, and the PDF exports correctly though the ID workspace still shows the colour of the image and shape as R34,G31,B95 rather than R1,G0,B102.

I've used the colour picking  tool in Ps, Af, Pr and many more programs without have this problem.

Image 005.png

Untitled.png

• 8. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour
                        rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

THe blue in your placed logo could be set as a spot color an not process. If it is spot then what you are showing would be expected-- it is neither process RGB nor process CMYK. Show us a capture of your swatches panel, which is different than the Color Picker-- you can't pick spot colors with the color picker.

• 9. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour
                          Nicolas Levet Level 2

Hi,

Is your logo a vector file?

If yes, here's a trick I would recommand.

1. open your logo in Illustrator and use spot colours, name the colours i.e "pump house blue" "pump house light blue" and save a .AI file

2. open your INDD file and import (place) the logo you just saved (the .AI file). The spot colours should appear in the swatches palette

3. apply the spot colours ("pump house blue"...)  to any elements used in your InDesign file you wish.

After that, you can double click on the swatches to convert them to CMYK if required

Save a standard pdf and keep me informed of the result.

• 10. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour
                            Danny Whitehead. Level 4

abdullahseba wrote:

It should not do that, I've used lots of colour sensitive programs and all of them don't require any faffing about with colours.

For print? It seems your experience is in designing for screen, so you probably do need to understand that process colour printing (CMYK) has a smaller gamut than RGB, and the blue in this branding can't be reproduced in CMYK. It will print duller.

Once you understand that, you can either:

A) Make a new, CMYK version of your logo, and use a swatch of the exact same CMYK values in your InDesign document, or,

B) Use a swatch of the exact same RGB values as the logo in InDesign.

In both cases you need to make sure the same colour profile is assigned to both the logo and the InDesign document. Personally, I'd probably go with the latter, so the gamut shrinking can be done for specific printing methods 'downstream'. Also, it's a good idea to switch on Overprint Preview occasionally to check how things will print.

• 11. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour

I've used the colour picking  tool in Ps, Af, Pr and many more programs without have this problem.

Photoshop documents can only have one color space plus spot color channels (ID objects can be a mix of spot, RGB, CMYK, Lab, or GS), so you can see the same problem in PS.

If you make a CMYK document, choose RGB 1|0|102 from the color picker and apply it to the CMYK doc, you will see the color shift—the triangle warning icon indicates it is not printable as CMYK. If you make a Spot channel that uses the same RGB values as its color definition, its appearance won't shift when the spot is applied to a selection in the CMYK doc because it will be on a separate printing plate.

In general there's never a good reason to use spot colors for a process job because it complicates color management with unnecessary conversions.

Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 9.58.52 AM.png

• 12. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour
                                abdullahseba Level 1

Nice trick .

But the building shape and engine parts where drawn separately in illustrator and overlaid with text in Photoshop.This might seem strange but its because it had to be animated in PS as a GIF

• 13. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour
                                  abdullahseba Level 1

But the logo came out OK in the first place on the PDF. It was the vector shape in ID that had the problem with the colour picker. And ID still displays the wrong colours in  the workspace but exports it correctly.

Also PNG images do not support spot or cmyk colours.

Untitled2.png

• 14. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour
                                    abdullahseba Level 1

AHHHH solved it: Edit - Transparency Blend space - Document RGB.

Now everything displays, prints and exports correctly.

I knew I didn't have to lean all about colour spaces.

Image 007.png

• 15. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour

When you use IDs Color Picker the mode of the color depends what field your cursor is in. If you pick an RGB color but move your cursor into one of the CMYK fields and click OK you'll get the closest in gamut CMYK color.

If that's not the problem share the files via Dropbox so we can see what's going on.

• 18. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour

I'm not sure how you got the PDF with two different colors in your first post—it's probably the fault of the viewer application you were using—AcrobatPro shows the color correctly.

Setting your blend space to RGB will keep the preview in the document's RGB space, but if you are going to print eventually the color will be brought into the CMYK gamut and change. If you turn on Overprint/Separation Preview you'll get a document CMYK print preview even when the Transparency Blend space is RGB.

Also in your PDF the RGB color has no source profile, which will make the final conversion for print arbitrary. It would be better to use the PDF/X-4 export preset so everything gets source color profiles.

• 19. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour
                                          abdullahseba Level 1

The PDF would show correctly because I exported a new one after discovering the problem.

The print is working fine.

• 20. Re: Indesign PDF export wrong colour

abdullahseba schreef:

The PDF would show correctly because I exported a new one after discovering the problem.

The print is working fine.

NO, it will not print fine. Maybe on your inktjetprinter it will but at press it will be converted to CMYK and an Out of Gamut RGB will change just as you saw in the PDF...

Again, please inform yourself a bit more about using colour models...