8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 2:01 PM by BartonGarrett256

Why wont my 3D text show up in Ray-traced mode - After Effects CC 2015

Flux Boogie Level 1

Hey guys,

So an issue I haven't been able to resolve is getting my 3D text layer in After Effects CC 2015 (3D mode is toggled) to show up after switching the renderer to ray-traced mode.

I've looked up ways to troubleshoot this issue prior to posting this thread. One of the possibilities was to update my driver (which I did) but still no luck.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jeremy

• 1. Re: Why wont my 3D text show up in Ray-traced mode - After Effects CC 2015
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's hard to say because we don't know if you are using the latest build of AE, what kind of GPU you are using or what OS you are using. It's working just fine for me and always has but I never use it for paying work because it's too inefficient even though I have a fully supported CUDA card installed. I use C4D lite instead. It's much better and gives you many more options.

• 2. Re: Why wont my 3D text show up in Ray-traced mode - After Effects CC 2015
            BartonGarrett256 Level 2

MY understanding is ray traced 3D only works if you use one of the horribly overpriced and underperforming GPU cards on the approved list.  Only  EXACTLY the cards listed, not what may seem like another card in the family but EXACTLY that card. 

Pretty much you are threaded and did not get kissed.  If you want true 3D text you can get it through a titler plug in or through Maxon if you have the time and inclination to learn a new program.  If not it's drop shadows and postcards in space.

• 3. Re: Why wont my 3D text show up in Ray-traced mode - After Effects CC 2015
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

BartonGarrett256 wrote:

MY understanding is ray traced 3D only works if you use one of the horribly overpriced and underperforming GPU cards on the approved list.  Only  EXACTLY the cards listed, not what may seem like another card in the family but EXACTLY that card.

Nah, the ray-traced renderer can be accelerated on on any of NIVIDIA's cards in the recent versions of AE as long as the card meets certain hardware requirements (this includes the good bang-for-the-buck GTX 970). You just have to tick the box to use "unsupported" cards. Heck, it even works without an NVIDIA card, but it's just unusably slow!

As Rick says, discussion about this feature is becoming pointless. The After Effects team considers it obsolete and I do too.

• 4. Re: Why wont my 3D text show up in Ray-traced mode - After Effects CC 2015
                Flux Boogie Level 1

Well in terms of my GPU im running the  AMD FirePro D500, which has the capacity to edit 4k footage and work with 3D models. Im considering plugins at this point.

• 5. Re: Why wont my 3D text show up in Ray-traced mode - After Effects CC 2015
                  BartonGarrett256 Level 2

I didn't have that experience when I last tried to do it, a version or two ago, and I'm on a purpose built $10K 5960 system.  What I was told was "tough luck" the issue is it would only work on a specific chip set in those specific cards, cards the Adobe experts told me not to buy. It was not a question of speed, it was, to borrow a term from the railroads, a problem of gage.

AS a customer, I thought, and still do, think the solution was lousy.  I don't want to have to learn another third party lite program that is not even a plug in and does not generate adobe formatted files, a program  that may go away or someone is going to demand another monthly fee from me as soon as they can figure a way to do so, to do something I was told was in the basic program.

• 6. Re: Why wont my 3D text show up in Ray-traced mode - After Effects CC 2015
                    BartonGarrett256 Level 2

I use NewBlue FX, mostly I do corporate video and docs, I am fairly satisfied with them, they have a nice tool set that lets you make global changes easily and a good interface. 

Tha't said if I were starting over I'd want to make sure I picked the strongest supplier- the one most likely to survive, it's a big investment in time and files. I would want to make as certain as possible whoever I pick was still going to be there in 5 years.  I'd rather be making movies than learning a new program again, not to mention the costs involved.

And it may be the next release of Ae may fix a lot of these problems, there are lots of hints something new is coming, but be very careful about how early you switch.

• 7. Re: Why wont my 3D text show up in Ray-traced mode - After Effects CC 2015
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That AMD GPU will work fine but it will not accelerate the Ray-traced rendering. If you have installed the CUDA driver you've killed it so uninstall the driver. Ignore the warnings and live with the terrible render times and UI performance or, and this is a much better idea, learn how to do text extrusions in Cinema 4D lite. You'll be a much happier camper and you'll be using technology that is currently being worked on. Ray-traced rendering is dead and I expect it to go completely away in the not too distant future.

• 8. Re: Why wont my 3D text show up in Ray-traced mode - After Effects CC 2015
                        BartonGarrett256 Level 2

Go completely away? It's long gone. Nobody in their right mind would buy one of those cards, they feature one quarter the performance at four times the price.