5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2009 6:03 PM by mferchak

Please help with pop up menus!

tsheridan
      CS4 will not create pop up menus from a button. I go through the steps, click done, and nothing is there. It also will not allow me to edit any existing pop up menus. I can create a new one from a slice, but not from a button, regardless if there are button states or not.
      Please help, I cannot find any information on how to work around this or fix this problem!
        • 1. Re: Please help with pop up menus!
          Level 7
          tsheridan wrote:
          > CS4 will not create pop up menus from a button. I go through the steps, click
          > done, and nothing is there. It also will not allow me to edit any existing pop
          > up menus. I can create a new one from a slice, but not from a button,
          > regardless if there are button states or not.
          > Please help, I cannot find any information on how to work around this or fix
          > this problem!
          >
          >
          FW pop up menus are nowhere near an ideal solution for a production web
          site. I'd recommend you find an alternative before you get too deep and
          dependent on them for a real site. Probably not the help you wanted, but
          this advice will save you a lot of grief down the road.

Check out Project VII for good quality, commercial pop up menu products.

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/206.html
          ---
          • 2. Re: Please help with pop up menus!
            Level 1
            @tsheridan,

You know, I agree with Jim's suggestion about Project VII.

When you say CS4 will not create pop up menu from a button, I am afraid that you come in a wrong forum to ask for some help. Please try to understand that Fireworks CS4 is specifically designed for web graphic images and such. I realize that marketing team at Adobe did this pretty darn lousy job not able to explain or illustrate or communicate very well on what, how and why Fireworks is designed for. Some might say Fireworks CS4 can produce an exported HTML codes along with image files. But please understand that Fireworks IS NOT a html or web editing application.

While some has managed to export Fireworks-generated precode HTML code along with image files, you still need to use Dreamweaver CS4 (or any web authoring application) to make this work. However, to get a best use of help and addressing your question, best IF you post a question at Dreamweaver general forum for answer.

However, it is wise for you to understand and know HTML and CSS inside out, and understand how HTML works and what's not. That is to say, get both of your hands dirty under hood of HTML, the better off you are working with these files and troubleshoot some problem.

Finally, the short cut letters you chose "CS4" is too generic and too broad. You need to be a bit more specific. It is just that... fancy marketing words that Adobe marketing team use, and a version is a version. But you need to state the specific app you are working with. I assume that you are referring Fireworks CS4?

Hope that helps and good luck.
            Brian

quote:

Originally posted by: tsheridan
            CS4 will not create pop up menus from a button. I go through the steps, click done, and nothing is there. It also will not allow me to edit any existing pop up menus. I can create a new one from a slice, but not from a button, regardless if there are button states or not.
            Please help, I cannot find any information on how to work around this or fix this problem!

• 3. Re: Please help with pop up menus!
              tsheridan Level 1
              Since I was in a Fireworks Forum, I didn't think I needed to specify that it was Fireworks CS4, but yes it is, and yes, I am trying to create a web graphic and then import the Fireworks HTML into my Dreamweaver CS4. I am not trying to create a web page in Fireworks.
              Fireworks is not creating the graphic I need, as it is supposed to do, thus I posted to the forum. Why on earth would I post a Fireworks problem in a Dreamweaver Forum? The problem is with Fireworks, not Dreamweaver. I'm not even getting to the stage of putting the fireworks file into dreamweaver This isn't my first rodeo. The file in question was actually created in Fireworks CS4 just about 2 weeks ago, and now when I go back to edit it, the changes aren't happening, and it won't allow me to create the button with the pop up menu again.
              • 4. Re: Please help with pop up menus!
                Level 7
                tsheridan wrote:
                > Since I was in a Fireworks Forum, I didn't think I needed to specify that it
                > was Fireworks CS4, but yes it is, and yes, I am trying to create a web graphic
                > and then import the Fireworks HTML into my Dreamweaver CS4. I am not trying to
                > create a web page in Fireworks.
                > Fireworks is not creating the graphic I need, as it is supposed to do, thus I
                > posted to the forum. Why on earth would I post a Fireworks problem in a
                > Dreamweaver Forum? The problem is with Fireworks, not Dreamweaver. I'm not even
                > getting to the stage of putting the fireworks file into dreamweaver This isn't
                > my first rodeo. The file in question was actually created in Fireworks CS4 just
                > about 2 weeks ago, and now when I go back to edit it, the changes aren't
                > happening, and it won't allow me to create the button with the pop up menu
                > again.
                >
                Whether it's your first rodeo or not, read this:

http://www.losingfight.com/blog/2006/08/11/the-sordid-tale-of-mm_menufw_menujs/

If all you want to do is export a graphic that fits a certain size, and
                your FW design is giving you grief, just create a new document and
                recreate the graphic (NOT the menu) needed, and export it.

--
                Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                http://www.communityMX.com/
                ---
                .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/206.html
                ---
                • 5. Re: Please help with pop up menus!
                  mferchak
                  I found a bizarre work around for the pop-up menus that will not seem to retain any changes made in the pop-up menu editor. As soon as you finish making the changes in the editor and hit Done, go to the library (either document library or common library) and double click on the symbol to which the pop-up menu is attached. Click the Edit button. Then finish the editing by hitting the left arrow at the top left of the workspace. Now the changes to the pop-up menu have been saved.