6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 3:42 PM by pat agonia

Catalogues being overridden, every time.

pat agonia Level 1

I have two sets of every days' images, one in the original RAW on drive A, and then I import every images from multiple different cameras into a new Lr CC catalogue onto drive B (as an example).

This stems historically from when I used to shoot weddings. One catalogue per wedding plus I never trust just one catalogue, of every image, yikes, sounds too risky?

The plan was to try and establish just the one catalogue now I have ditched weddings, and mark images for future reference and competitions, which would save me weeks and weeks of back-tracking across all my offboard hard drives when such competitions arise. I probably lose 6 weeks a year doing this I suspect.

I'm told this is simple enough but once again, I imported this evening, the RAW images as dng files into an already existing catalogue and can no longer see any images other than that day's upload.

As you can imagine, this creates yet more work for me as I have to go back to the RAW files and reload that original set of images into a new Lr catalogue.

They can all be seen in Bridge in the corrupted catalogue, including the various ratings, but not in the new, updated Lr which seems to have overridden the catalogue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Catalogues being overridden, every time.
          dj_paige Level 9

I imported this evening, the RAW images as dng files into an already existing catalogue and can no longer see any images other than that day's upload.

In the Library module, over on the left hand side, under the word Catalog, click on "All Photographs".

One catalog is definitely the preferred way to go. Perhaps you need to watch some video tutorials about how to use Lightroom. See Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

• 2. Re: Catalogues being overridden, every time.
            pat agonia Level 1

Yes, I have viewed this before and have a few questions.

I import all files as "Copy as DNG" where as she just the "Adds" her files in the Canon (?) format.

At 10:00 she puts them into a sub folder, in this case, Singapore. Is it necessary to have sub folders per import?

Then at 11:50 she talks about the import sequence I employ, this 2nd type of import method, so, not direct from an SD card in the slot, but from a copy of the files on another drive.

She has them as ing files already, so "Adds" them, whereas I "Copy as dng" as mine are oft' a mishmash.

Now, she adds them to My Catalogue.

I do not know where this 'My Catalogue' had suddenly appeared from.

What comes up on that top line is the previous import Catalogue and not "My Catalogue".

So I would re select the catalogue which pertains to this set of images, let us say it was a catalogue I had from two days ago.

And then hit the Import button. This adds these dng files into the same place as the other ing files, adding them but overwriting the catalogue from two days ago such that I can only see that second set in the catalogue.

---------------------------------------------------

So, where is this "My Catalogue" coming from?

Is this the only catalogue? if so, it would naturally follow that it would be the only one I ever see ever again if there is only the one to choose from?

When adding images from a next-day shoot, do I need to always be putting them into a sub folder?

Adding images as dng (from the offboard folder containing the original mishmash of RAW files), I can "Copy as dng" okay?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Catalogues being overridden, every time.
              dj_paige Level 9
              Is it necessary to have sub folders per import?

No but many people do so, it's probably a good idea to put your photos into subfolders and NOT into a single huge folder. I use folders by capture date.

I do not know where this 'My Catalogue' had suddenly appeared from.

What comes up on that top line is the previous import Catalogue and not "My Catalogue".

I'm not really sure what you are referring to. A screen capture would help.

So I would re select the catalogue which pertains to this set of images, let us say it was a catalogue I had from two days ago.

You would be so much better off putting everything into one catalog. This makes your life a bazillion times simpler.

And then hit the Import button. This adds these dng files into the same place as the other ing files, adding them but overwriting the catalogue from two days ago such that I can only see that second set in the catalogue.

It sounds like you did not try my instructions from my earlier note. Please do so.

• 4. Re: Catalogues being overridden, every time.
                pat agonia Level 1

So, I' m setting up a new catalogue, on the Samsung HD, I have called it Test.

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 22.20.18.png

The images in this instance are coming in from an SD card on the Mac.

Then: I am, as can be seen, "Copy as DNG" here there are (new) 42 images.

It tells me at this point that the previous catalogue is Samsung: Race V2 Lr / Upload.

So I must re direct this import to the Test folder, not the one being suggested.

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 22.21.03.png

Not sure what you mean by the last line, can you clarify please?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Catalogues being overridden, every time.
                  dj_paige Level 9

It tells me at this point that the previous catalogue is Samsung: Race V2 Lr / Upload.

It tells you that you are importing into the FOLDER (not catalog) Race V2 Lr / Untitled (you might want to change that ...)

In any event, when the import is completed, you are then placed into the Library Module, where on the left hand side, under the word Catalog, you click on All Photographs and then you can scroll up or down to see your earlier imports.

I have earlier in this thread linked to some introductory tutorials, you really ought to watch them. You seem to misunderstand the difference between catalogs and folders, and you will not get far with that misunderstanding.

• 6. Re: Catalogues being overridden, every time.
                    pat agonia Level 1

That's interesting, having gone back to the "overwritten" catalogue, indeed, in the left panel, which is always collapsed, is indeed showing the various histories of any / all imports.

Meaning that the idea that the catalogue had in some way been overwritten is / was wrong.

This helps and so, tomorrow will have a look at my other "overwritten" catalogues, or as you point out, they're folders (you can see why I assumed they were new catalogues).

Then I can start looking at the left panel as there was never any point in Collections, for example, if every shoot was a new catalogue, since all image were all there to be seen in one glance.

Cheers

Tim