6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2016 4:18 PM by taipower

REAL WORLD PERFORMANCE BOOST FROM LR 5.7 TO CC?

taipower Level 1

i'm still using lightroom 5.7, simply because it seems to have everything i need. for those of you using the CC version, have you experienced any real world improvements in terms of speed? here are my specs:

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 3.06.39 PM.png

• 1. Re: REAL WORLD PERFORMANCE BOOST FROM LR 5.7 TO CC?
          dj_paige Level 9

The point of upgrading to LR CC is not speed but instead new features.

There is one exception, if you have a 4K or 5K monitor and a powerful enough graphics card, then LR CC may in fact be faster than LR 5.7.

If you are having speed problems with Lightroom 5.7, describe the problem in more detail, especially be sure to state what actions in Lightroom are slow.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: REAL WORLD PERFORMANCE BOOST FROM LR 5.7 TO CC?
            taipower Level 1

thank you!

not having speed issues, per se, but sometimes when i scroll though my thumbnails in my library module they take a while to appear. not sure if i have a "powerful enough graphics card". would you know looking at the specs i posted above?

thanks!

• 3. Re: REAL WORLD PERFORMANCE BOOST FROM LR 5.7 TO CC?
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>not having speed issues, per se, but sometimes when i scroll though my thumbnails in my library module they take a while to appear. not sure if i have a "powerful enough graphics card". would you know looking at the specs i posted above?

That machine will very likely actually be slower when using the graphics card. Almost any machine is slower with the graphics acceleration enabled in LR 2015/6 except when you are using a very high res screen (this one is not the retina iMac) and a really fast and new graphics card. On machines without a retina screen or 4K display, the graphics card acceleration is seldomly worth it. In general the point of LR 6/2015 is not speed (it is actually slower for many people) but it is features.

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: REAL WORLD PERFORMANCE BOOST FROM LR 5.7 TO CC?
                dj_paige Level 9

not having speed issues, per se, but sometimes when i scroll though my thumbnails in my library module they take a while to appear.

Depending on how much hard disk space you have, you might want to generate 1:1 previews (under the Library Menu, select Previews->Build 1:1 Previews, CAUTION this may take a long time so let it run overnight, and it may use up a lot of disk space) of your photos and then select the option in Catalog Settings to never discard the previews, that should take care of the problem.

• 6. Re: REAL WORLD PERFORMANCE BOOST FROM LR 5.7 TO CC?
                  taipower Level 1

> that machine will very likely actually be slower when using the graphics card. Almost any machine is slower with the graphics acceleration enabled in LR 2015/6 except when you are using a very high res screen (this one is not the retina iMac) and a really fast and new graphics card. On machines without a retina screen or 4K display, the graphics card acceleration is seldomly worth it. In general the point of LR 6/2015 is not speed (it is actually slower for many people) but it is features.

thank you... very useful info!