5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2016 6:15 AM by Obi-wan Kenobi

Weird superscript behaviour

johnny_XP

Dear all,

I'm facing a problem when I try to use a superscript and the previous letter is italic. When the letter before the superscript is regular everything is ok. The problem occurs no matter what is the font family i use. I tried to change Advanced Type setting, but the problem wasn't solved. I've attached a screenshot to help you understand the problem. I know that I could increase the kerning of 'f' character to push the superscript on the right, but I'd like to know if there any more proper solution. I work under Mac OS Yosemity and Indesign CC 2015. I'd be grateful for any help.

Untitled.png

• 1. Re: Weird superscript behaviour
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

In such cases it could help to insert a fixed space as you find in Type > insert space > …

You can try which of the smaller fixed spaces would work for you.

Or you could insert the curser between the f and the ( and increase the kerning.

• 2. Re: Weird superscript behaviour
            Nicolas Levet Level 2

In addition, I see that the this problem seem to happen only with letter f so I would suggest to make a find/replace if the case occures in many locations: find: "f(" replacedby: "f^s("

• 3. Re: Weird superscript behaviour
              Prithivi_Prepress Level 1

Yes, it is based on font nature. We used unicode 0192 (for print only)

• 4. Re: Weird superscript behaviour
                johnny_XP Level 1

Thank you all for your replies. It turned out that under Palatino adding a third white space after f does the trick.

• 5. Re: Weird superscript behaviour
                  Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

It's a simple question of kerning! So, let's treat as this! 

Capture d’écran 2016-03-25 à 12.47.37.png

We want to modify the kerning between a "f" and a parenthesis when the "f" is in Italic [here: Palatino Italic]

… If the parenthesis is at normal position, we'll play it with a 100 kerning;

… If the parenthesis is at superscript position, we'll play it with a 150 kerning.

The very clever and prolific Peter Kahrel has imagined an amazing script to play this. It's called "kern.jsx".

He wrote it in 2010 and it still works fine with ID CC 2015!!

Scripted custom kerning tables | Peter Kahrel

The only thing to really do is to create your kern data file you'll call "kern_Palatino.txt", as:

Capture d’écran 2016-03-25 à 13.01.11.png

Capture d’écran 2016-03-25 à 12.51.22.png

To create it, just make a copy of kern_Minion Pro.txt joined by default by Peter, modify it as above and save it with its new name.

Then, just launch "kern.jsx"!  That's all! Aha!  … So simple and so awesome! Peter is a great Jedi Master!

Take a look!

Before:

Capture d’écran 2016-03-25 à 12.47.37.png

After, about "(eq)" in superscript …

Capture d’écran 2016-03-25 à 12.49.35.png

After, about "(eq)" in normal position:

Capture d’écran 2016-03-25 à 12.49.47.png

What Else! … Maybe a coffee! 

This amazing script loves Grep too! So imagine all you can do with them together!

PETER, THANKS A LOT FOR ALL YOU DID, DO AND WILL DO FOR US!

MTFBWY!