12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2009 4:21 PM by William_Donelson

Driector 10.1 Mac: trace & debug VERY slow

William_Donelson
      I am tracing and debugging a lingo script, with various variables etc, totalling around 2 MB of data.

Breakpoints, debugging, stepping through scripts, etc, is VERY VERY slow. Up to 20-40 second wait per step or breakpoint (I guess for vars to format in the debugger window).

Is Dir 11 any faster? I've been looking for a Real reason to upgrade...

Thanks
      William

• 1. Re: Driector 10.1 Mac: trace & debug VERY slow
          Level 7
          > Is Dir 11 any faster? I've been looking for a Real reason to upgrade...

Download the trial version and see for yourself. My expectation is that
          it will prove orders of magnitude slower
          • 2. Re: Driector 10.1 Mac: trace & debug VERY slow
            William_Donelson Level 1
            ..."order of magnitude slower..."

So, like 100 or 1,000 times slower?

That bad?

• 3. Re: Driector 10.1 Mac: trace & debug VERY slow
              Level 7
              > ...."order of magnitude slower..."
              >
              > So, like 100 or 1,000 times slower?
              >
              > That bad?

Yep, but don't take my word for it
              • 4. Re: Driector 10.1 Mac: trace & debug VERY slow
                Chunick Level 3
                quote:

Originally posted by: William_Donelson
                I am tracing and debugging a lingo script, with various variables etc, totalling around 2 MB of data.

Out of curiosity, how many lines of code does a 2MB script end up being?...

• 5. Driector 10.1 Mac: trace & debug VERY slow
                  William_Donelson Level 1
                  No, sorry. 2 MB of data: strings, numbers, lists, etc.

There's around 3,000 lines of code.

• 6. Re: Driector 10.1 Mac: trace & debug VERY slow
                    William_Donelson Level 1
                    Well, I downloaded and tried Dir 11.

1) MANY MANY errors in my existing code which ran Just Fine under Dir 10.1

2) Even SCROLLING a page of Lingo in the script window was painfully slow.

What an abomination!
                    • 7. Re: Driector 10.1 Mac: trace & debug VERY slow
                      Level 7
                      William_Donelson wrote:
                      > No, sorry. 2 MB of data: strings, numbers, lists, etc.

Can you debug it with less data? Remember that at every step it has to
                      format that 2MB of data to go in the debug window.

Either that or just use "put..." to output only what you need to see in the
                      message window instead of using the debugger?

Andrew

• 8. Re: Driector 10.1 Mac: trace & debug VERY slow
                        William_Donelson Level 1
                        Yes, that's what I'll end up doing, but the errors I need to step through are 2/3 the way through the big data file, so I'll have to by-hand strip down the big file, and try to keep it making sense, etc.

The one script I need to trace is 600 lines long, and the "put" statements would be massively messy.

I can't believe that Adobe has screwed up Director 11 so bad, THEN RELEASED IT !

I guess they do really want that product to "go away".

Sigh.
                        • 9. Re: Driector 10.1 Mac: trace & debug VERY slow
                          Level 7
                          William_Donelson wrote:
                          > Yes, that's what I'll end up doing, but the errors I need to step
                          > through are 2/3 the way through the big data file, so I'll have to
                          > by-hand strip down the big file, and try to keep it making sense, etc.

If you're saying that the data file has errors, then you perhaps it would be
                          better to write a parser to tell you where the errors are in the file,
                          rather than trying to use Director's debugger for that task.

Andrew

• 10. Re: Driector 10.1 Mac: trace & debug VERY slow
                            William_Donelson Level 1
                            Andrew, no thanks. I've been using this code for six years now, and there are rarely any errors at all in the data file.

There's no way I'm going to write another 500 lines of code to parse that file, when the code I've got Already parses the file and fixes errors.

This is just a new type of error in the file, and I need to find out what bad char or bad format has gotten into it.

Using breakpoints is "The Way" to do that, but Macromedia/Adobe have not ever had any coherent plan to fix bugs, only to release New Features. The shareholders DEMANDED that they NOT spend money fixing bugs, only in producing new revenue, meaning New Features.

I've been a Director user since v0.9 beta back in 1989 or so.

Believe me, I know.

With my today's experience with Dir 11, I had a meeting with the software team and told them we'd have to start thinking about how to move away from Director to other systems. Since most of our work is now web-based (and not CD-ROM or Kiosk), then we'll probably use Java and/or Javascript etc.

I can't see tying our wagon to non-open source anymore - too risky.

Cheers
                            William

• 11. Re: Driector 10.1 Mac: trace & debug VERY slow
                              Level 7
                              Hi,
                              can I ask when you started to have problems with the debugging?

There must be something changed if it was ok before?

Do you really think javascript will handle 2MB of data?
                              Java to replace Director? I dont see how you would do that and not
                              rewrite more than 500 lines of code?

Just venting I assume? ;)

Richard

• 12. Driector 10.1 Mac: trace & debug VERY slow
                                William_Donelson Level 1
                                1) I've had no problems with data or code for a couple of years now. I upgraded to v10.1 a year ago. I had to because v9 did not work in OSX 10.4.x

2) This error in the data is of some new type. So my code is not handling the weird data correctly. Tracing is the best way, but way too slow.

I have now isolated the problem; it was due to a new version of Filemaker Pro inserted a new "special" char in some fields. My code has been corrected now and runs fine in Dir 10.1.

In Dir 11.0 there are HUNDREDS of new errors in all our Dir programs and projects.

And Dir 11 is Fantastically SLOW ! Slloooooooow!

Stupid Dir 11 - there's NO way I'm wasting time changing MANY programs and projects just to do Arrogant Adobe's work for them. Idiots. Didn't they test this stuff? How can they sell this carp?

3) I have Javascript that already handles 3 times this much data, but the date is organized first into packets.

4) Yes, we will eventually have to rewrite all 3,000 lines of code. And not just in this program, but in 4-5 other programs as well.

We originally wrote these in Director due to the debugger and the fact that I am an expert in Lingo for over ten years.

We'll stick with Dir 10.1 for a year or two, even if we have to use an old Mac that's never updated or whatever.

Eventually, we'll have to ditch Adobe Director. Thank god we never really buried ourselves in that other Macromedia MESS, Flash.

Macromedia & Adobe NEVER had any "authoring language" programmers with any real "long term, coherent" design skill, they are just hacky hacky hackers, forever adding new features with no concept of any users but themselves.

What a mess.

(Oh, and Batch processing in Photoshop is a laughable mess as well. Jeez.)