7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2016 12:10 PM by Tanuj Sandal

Loosing the pictures when importing new ones

btv00

Hello community,

I'm probably a dumb user of LightRoom but I'm experiencing troubles in my workflow. The tutorials I reviewed so far are not suffisant for the understanding or my issue.

Please find hereafter the step-by-step operations I performed to experience the trouble:

LightRoom product, installed with an official serial number, fresh install from scratch

Opening the software. Creating a catalog called Cat1

Importing 253 pictures RAW format from my camera set. The 253 are available in the bottom roll of the graphic interface of LR.

Doing my selection. Processing all the selected pictures. Exporting it in .jpg format.

Importing 6 new RAW pictures from the hard disk of the computer.

Then the 253 pictures are gone. Only the 6 new imported pictures when I wanted to add the 6 to the 253 others.

Is is possible to retrieve the 253 pictures?

If not, how to proceed for the addition of some pictures to an existing catalog?

Thanks for your answers,

Bernard

• 1. Re: Loosing the pictures when importing new ones
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi Bernard,

Please make sure that you have the recent Catalog Cat1 opened in Lightroom.

Click on File > Open Recent and check for your catalog.

Also please check in Lightroom in the Catalog panel, if " Previous Import " option is selected, if yes, then please select " All Photographs"

Regards

Tanuj

• 2. Re: Loosing the pictures when importing new ones
            dj_paige Level 9

btv00 wrote:

Hello community,

I'm probably a dumb user of LightRoom but I'm experiencing troubles in my workflow. The tutorials I reviewed so far are not suffisant for the understanding or my issue.

Please find hereafter the step-by-step operations I performed to experience the trouble:

LightRoom product, installed with an official serial number, fresh install from scratch

Opening the software. Creating a catalog called Cat1

Importing 253 pictures RAW format from my camera set. The 253 are available in the bottom roll of the graphic interface of LR.

Doing my selection. Processing all the selected pictures. Exporting it in .jpg format.

Importing 6 new RAW pictures from the hard disk of the computer.

Then the 253 pictures are gone. Only the 6 new imported pictures when I wanted to add the 6 to the 253 others.

Is is possible to retrieve the 253 pictures?

If not, how to proceed for the addition of some pictures to an existing catalog?

Thanks for your answers,

Bernard

The photos from the first import are not gone.

You have to click on All Photographs on the left hand side of the Library Module (it's right under the word "Catalog")

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Loosing the pictures when importing new ones
              btv00 Level 1

Hello Tanuj,

Thanks for your very quick and interesting answer.

I found the File >> "Open Recent" command and it was not efficient. Unable to retrieve the 253 pictures with it.

I'll have a look into the "Previous import" settings you mentioned and will post the results of that later.

Bernard

• 4. Re: Loosing the pictures when importing new ones
                btv00 Level 1

Hello dj_paige,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I'm sure that my 253 pictures are NOT gone. According to the tutorial, LR is not moving, not modifying the original pictures ; just referencing it. They are probably always in the catalog Cat1 but I'm unable to retrieve and display it. I've seen that there are some filters in the Library view. I've found the locker and associated filters options... but didn't remark "All Photographs" keyword. This could be the reason of my troubles. I'll check that and return the result in this thread.

Regards,

Bernard

• 5. Re: Loosing the pictures when importing new ones
                  dj_paige Level 9

In the Lightroom Library Module, click on "All Photographs" on the left, under the word Catalog. If it's not there, click on Catalog first, and then All Photographs should appear and then click on it.

• 6. Re: Loosing the pictures when importing new ones
                    btv00 Level 1

Hello community !

Conclusion of my issue: both of you were right. I was not aware about this selector in the Library view, on the left side, Topic Catalog. It is possible to select "All photographs" and then I'm able to retrieve all the pictures. Thanks a lot for your very clever and efficient advices. Regards!

• 7. Re: Loosing the pictures when importing new ones
                      Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

You are Welcome, Glad we could help .