5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2016 7:45 PM by whsprague

how to copy a video project file back and forth between two or more computers ?

eugeneg25850532

how can I copy and restore a video project back and forth between two computers ?

• 1. Re: how to copy a video project file back and forth between two or more computers ?
          whsprague Level 4

You didn't offer much information about computers or versions. 

The first method uses the Edit > File Archiver function.  Use the "Copy" choice and it "should" put everything on an external drive for transport.

The method I use makes me feel more like I'm in control.  For every project I create a dedicated folder.  Everything goes in that folder from the project to (copies) of all the media.  I use Edit > Preferences > Scratch Disks to be sure the cache files are there too.  I can move the entire folder and contents anywhere I want.

Bill

PS:  If this helps, will you mark it as answered?

• 2. Re: how to copy a video project file back and forth between two or more computers ?
            eugeneg25850532 Level 1

So far not successful in transferring to second computer.  Original computer is Microsoft surface 4, second is sony viao. Both run windows 10.  I was able to copy archive to external harddrive attached to  surface4 computer and then run the file off of the copy on the external hard drive but if I try to run from same external hard drive when attached to Viao computer it results in error message " this type of file is not supported or required codec is not installed ". It seems as though it runs a loup back to the original project file that was on the Vaio originally.

• 3. Re: how to copy a video project file back and forth between two or more computers ?
              whsprague Level 4

You don't  "run from the same external".  The Surface has a C drive.  The Viao has a C drive.  The external, probably, is D.  Use the external drive only has a transfer medium.  And make sure the folders on the two computers have exactly the same name.   Transfer the entire folder as a unit from one computer to the other.   Besides, trying to run video editing off an external creates a massive bottle neck through the USB drive and it would be a bad experience if you could get it to work. 

• 4. Re: how to copy a video project file back and forth between two or more computers ?
                eugeneg25850532 Level 1

it worked !    thanks ! bg

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 1:57 PM, whsprague<forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:   

how to copy a video project file back and forth between two or more computers ?

created by whsprague in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

You don't  "run from the same external".  The Surface has a C drive.  The Viao has a C drive.  The external, probably, is D.  Use the external drive only has a transfer medium.  And make sure the folders on the two computers have exactly the same name.   Transfer the entire folder as a unit from one computer to the other.   Besides, trying to run video editing off an external creates a massive bottle neck through the USB drive and it would be a bad experience if you could get it to work. 

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8627006#8627006 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8627006#8627006

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 5. Re: how to copy a video project file back and forth between two or more computers ?
                  whsprague Level 4

eugeneg25850532 wrote:

it worked !    thanks ! bg

Glad to hear it.  Thanks for letting me know.