25 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2017 12:49 AM by grandedame

Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch

jencreates

For the past few months, my Creative Cloud apps (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator) have been incredibly slow to launch and quit.  We just had a power outage and I started up my computer.  Opened InDesign and it took at least 5 minutes for the menus and panels to even show up.  When I first click the icon in the dock, it bounces.  After a few seconds, it just stops and sits there.  I can hear the computer working, but I get nothing for a LONG time.  Then finally it opens and I see the dot under the icon in the dock.  Same thing happens when I quit the app - it takes a good 2-3 minutes to shut down.  I don't understand what is going on.  I've tried trashing preferences to no avail.  I've also run Cocktail to clear out all my caches but that doesn't work either.

Photoshop and Illustrator are also slow but I notice it most in InDesign.  I also have to quit and relaunch after a period of time - especially with large documents - as the screen redraw tends to slow down so much it becomes impossible to work.  Acrobat tends to crash every once and a while.

Any suggestions?  I have a 27" iMac running the latest OS X - El Capitan 10.11.3.  All my Creative Cloud apps are up to date.  Wondering if I should reinstall OS X but I consider that a last resort as it is tremendously time consuming and a drastic step!

• 1. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
          rtwomey@cfl.rr.com

I'm having the same issue with InDesign CC opening. It is taking up to 5 minutes to launch. I've tried opening it using the icon in the menu bar and by double clicking an InDesign document and both ways it takes the same amount of time. I have deleted all preferences and the first time I launch after that it is faster. But after 3 or 4 times it goes back to taking 5 minutes to open. I don't get it. I'm also using an iMac with a 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 and 16 GB of memory. I'm running OS X El Capitan 10.11.2. Do I need more memory?

• 2. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
            creativearmada Level 1

jencreates rtwomey@cfl.rr.com SAME HERE. This is awful.

Between losing CUDA support with last update, not being able to revert due to project file being newer, and now this SLOW or NOT opening Premiere; I'm having the worst week ever.

I've never seen an application, especially premiere,behave so poorly. I've reinstalled it multiple times and no luck. I had Adobe logged into my machine two days ago for an entire 6 hours and watched the screen as they did NOTHING to actually troubleshoot. He simply left the event log opened while he was searching for error codes. Well, there were only three error codes. The one he was concerned with said something like "nvidiacuda.dll" and he then started telling me I have to wait for an update from Nvidia. Well, this is a Quadro K5200 and you don't just willy nilly update drivers because ONE app update decided to break compatibility.

I finally settled for software rendering but why should I have to? Then, just as I thought I was out of the woods, I can't launche the application 90% of the time. The other 10% the app hangs for so long on launch it seems like it will never launch. Then after giving up and walking away, I come back to see it's opened. Someone at Adobe PLEASE figure this out. PLEASE!

Also, is there any good reason why I should leave my computer open to a screen share session for five hours so someone can simply look up error codes?
            I was able to get the thing working better by using google than I was by calling into Adobe. Still broken, but what is now working is ZERO thanks to Adobe tech support.

BTW, in the time it took to find this thread (about 8mins) and the time it took to type this... Premiere just opened.

FIX THIS!

• 3. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
              soronery Level 1

Exactly this issue with 2 of the 3 imacs in my department and my macbook at home. The problem doesn't occur if the mac is started in safe mode, so I guess it's an extension issue affecting performance or care sync slowing the computer down. I've heard it might have something to do with AIGPUsniffer but the tech guy from Adobe will neither confirm nor deny that.

I found by deleting the entire OOBE folder from application support worked, but only once as the issue returned after the subsequent start up.

Anyone got any ideas?

• 4. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                dSparks Level 1

I had been having the same issue on my 27" mid2011 iMac 16G 1T HDD and it was driving me nuts. I went through both Adobe's and Apple's "fixes" but nothing permanently worked. I did all the "speed up your Mac"/"how to fix a slow Mac" blogs, forums, etc. I finally did the one thing that, thus far, has worked like a charm.

I deleted El Crapitan and did a clean reinstall of Yosemite. Updated to the latest version. Reinstalled all my apps and viola! No more issues. Even if you look at the OS X's page in the App Store, the negatives far outweigh the positives with the biggest complaint of slowness and lags. Now my apps are back to their normal snappiness. I do believe that EC 10.11.5, which was my latest, and in general, wasn't playing nice with my version of video hardware. I did notice it was not on the list of compatibility to support the new "speed" features of EC.

This really taught me a lesson about being an early adopter. I think I'll wait on upgrading to Sierra, if I do at all, until the next version and see what the verdict is.

• 5. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                  soronery Level 1

Hi, Thanks for replying.

I did consider it may be an El Capitan issue and have been very tempted to downgrade to Yosemite again, but I also have had all Adobe products running fine on El Capitan and when I deleted the OOBE folder it worked like a charm for one startup and reboot cycle, before whatever gremlin got back in the system!

I am currently installing yet another update of the CC apps that was released yesterday to see if that helps.

Having snooped around the forums a lot over the last few weeks, this issue seems to be fairly common, but no one seems to have a definitive answer.

I and starting another 'chat' with an Adobe employee today to progress my case. If that fails I will do as you have done and reinstall Yosemite. I do wonder if the next OS will resolve all these issues, it's a gamble to early adopt, but it can't be worse than El Capitan!

• 6. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                    dSparks Level 1

I'm very anxious to hear what you find out from your chat today and if there was any progress or fix.

• 7. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                      Stephen Barrante Level 1

This appears to be a widespread issue – and we've seen no improvement in our studio over the past few months. In fact, it's actually gotten worse. There is another discussion that's related to  Photoshop CC 2015 takes 32 seconds to launch. Why so slow? , but it's all pretty bad across the board.

• 8. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                        Stephen Barrante Level 1

Just a followup (though I realize this is not solving anyone's problems), this is how I spend the better part of my day. Beyond frustrating...

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 3.53.20 PM.png

• 9. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                          dSparks Level 1

Again, having gone through most "fixes" and found nothing works, the only thing that got me back up and running was to delete El Capitan and do a clean install of Yosemite.

No problems thus far and all apps up to speed.

I noticed you mentioned "studio". You might try it on one of your machines and test first before committing all of them if you choose this approach. Worth a shot.

• 10. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                            Stephen Barrante Level 1

I figured I would post an intermediate "result".

I've been on the phone with Adobe tech support for the better part of the day, as many of my apps have been completely unusable. The first tech addressed the Pro Video applications. This, in short, involved enabling full permissions on all of the Adobe folders (and their nested subfolders). Clearing some caches, and then adjusting a few settings in each app (AE, ME, and PR).

"So far" it's working... I haven't spent more than an hour doing edits, but that may have resolved some issues. I am, however, still having problems with PS and ID, but I just concluded another 30 min call with support and at least, for the moment, I can launch those apps.

• 11. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                              macwiz Level 1

I found disabling publish online, in Preferences, made a major difference to the time Indesign took too start up. Back to what I was happy with in CS5. I haven't tried with other apps in the suite yet. This on an iMac with 12 GB RAM.

3 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                                Marcy McGuire Level 1

I'm having the same issues with my macbook pro running El Captain.  InDesign is the slowest of the apps to launch and I have found after working for 5 or 6 hours on the same file, (even smaller files) I start to have issues with the screen redraw and text disappearing. If I don't save as an IDML immediately and close the file, ID will crash and my file corrupts.

Have turned off the publish online feature, will see what happens on the next launch. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, I'll also see if my permissions need to be fixed.

• 13. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                                  macwiz Level 1

Neither Photoshop or Illustrator seem to have the online "feature" thank goodness. Turning off the publish online feature in InDesign also stops it nagging you to try publishing online every time you export a PDF.

Marcy, your other problems do sound alarming. El Capitan doesn't allow permissions repair from Disk Utility anymore, but give the disk a thorough check all the same. May be download the version of Onyx (it's free) that runs on El Capitan - I think it does permissions.

Of course it might be that the problems you see are down to InDesign itself - I would be tempted to reinstall - but if you spend most of your time in InDesign, then that's where deeper problems on your Mac will eventually surface.

Possibly font corruption (check in Font Book app) or your RAM.

• 14. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                                    dSparks Level 1

Stephen Barrante wrote:

"So far" it's working... I haven't spent more than an hour doing edits, but that may have resolved some issues. I am, however, still having problems with PS and ID, but I just concluded another 30 min call with support and at least, for the moment, I can launch those apps.

I was wondering if your resolutions were holding up.

• 15. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                                      Stephen Barrante Level 1

**UPDATE**

The fixes that we did for the pro video apps seam to be working pretty well. I didn't pound on them last week, but definitely had a lot of opening and closing of the app, some rendering and working in both AE and PR and ME.

Photoshop on the other hand is still a mess. Most of the time it's launched after a restart it opens right up, fast. Most successive launches end up being a nightmare. Particularly, if any of the apps crash. I was just working with it today, all was fine. Then it crashed and now I'm stuck, once again, on the "Reading Preferences" screen. I've rebuilt the preferences a few times. I've never had this much trouble with PS since the current and previous releases came out!!

... 8 mins in, and it hasn't launched.

• 16. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                                        Stephen Barrante Level 1

**UPDATE**

Turns out that the pro video app fixes are not sticking. Premiere is getting hung up on launch now. Stuck on "Initializing Application". *sigh*

• 17. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                                          Stephen Barrante Level 1

**SEPT 2016 UPDATE**

Everything regressed this week. Both Photoshop and InDesign ran into big issues launching. Once again, the only way I can seem to launch is on a clean boot. Secondary launches after using other CC applications for some time (haven't figured out a magic combination) cause the performance to degrade, or keep the apps from being able to re-launch or open documents.

As we speak ID, already open from yesterday, is having trouble opening a file that I need to edit and get off to the client.

Earlier this week I called Adobe tech support twice. Once for PS and once for ID. In both cases we trashed cache folders, renamed preferences folders, and then did the standard "broad stroke" enabling of permissions on all preferences or support folders. I find this to be the proverbial "use cannon to kill mosquito" approach.. in other wards. Adobe doesn't know how to fix this.

This works very briefly, and of course works just fine while we are on screen-share with the support rep. In "real world" application, the programs quickly degrade, and I do not know why. It's completely interruptive to our work.

It is NOT exclusive to my machine, we have several MacPro's in our studio that have serious issues with the CC apps. We are still running 10.11.6.

• 18. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                                            dSparks Level 1

Stephen Barrante wrote:

**SEPT 2016 UPDATE**

Everything regressed this week. Both Photoshop and InDesign ran into big issues launching. Once again, the only way I can seem to launch is on a clean boot. Secondary launches after using other CC applications for some time (haven't figured out a magic combination) cause the performance to degrade, or keep the apps from being able to re-launch or open documents.

As we speak ID, already open from yesterday, is having trouble opening a file that I need to edit and get off to the client.

Earlier this week I called Adobe tech support twice. Once for PS and once for ID. In both cases we trashed cache folders, renamed preferences folders, and then did the standard "broad stroke" enabling of permissions on all preferences or support folders. I find this to be the proverbial "use cannon to kill mosquito" approach.. in other wards. Adobe doesn't know how to fix this.

This works very briefly, and of course works just fine while we are on screen-share with the support rep. In "real world" application, the programs quickly degrade, and I do not know why. It's completely interruptive to our work.

It is NOT exclusive to my machine, we have several MacPro's in our studio that have serious issues with the CC apps. We are still running 10.11.6.

Again, I've tried everything as well and the ONLY thing that worked for me was to get off El Capitan. I know everyone doesn't want to hear that since it's a huge pain to backup, clean and do a clean install. But Adobe and EC just won't play nice. I've had virtually no issues when I went back to Yosemite. Now on 10.10.5. Maybe try one machine and see what happens?

Will Sierra be better? Who knows? Anyone on the beta?

• 19. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                                              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've been using El Capitan and InDesign CC 2015 for the past year with no problems whatsoever on two different Macs.

I just switched to Sierra on my non-production machine and InDesign seems to work but I haven't had time for testing. I still use El Capitan happily on my production computer.

I suspect that it's something in your system. I know it would be a pain but backing everything up and doing a clean install of El Capitan (or Sierra) is probably what's necessary. The problem is that when you continually incrementally update each OS version with the next version (rather than a clean install), sometime things go awry.

• 20. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                                                Stephen Barrante Level 1

Adobe applications are the only programs that I have ever had an issue with as a result of upgrading the OS. Developers update their apps to be compatible with the new OS, and that's usually all fine and good moving forward.

Half a day on the phone with support... the latest approach they have me doing is to create a new user, and migrate over settings as needed. I'm now doing this, it's a gigantic pain in the A-- and it better fix the problem.

This is crap programming, plain and simple and it's costing us a lot of money in lost work hours. The apps are bloated, they store files in dozens of locations, it's no wonder why they have reached the point of almost complete failure.

I appreciate your suggestion, but the solution can NOT be... "just clean install your system" each time. That is the "kill the patient to cure the disease" approach and really sloppy.

• 21. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                                                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think that's true. I've been answering questions on this forum for years, and that's my considered opinion after working with people having a lot of InDesign issues.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

• 22. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                                                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

In place operating system upgrades are a crapshoot. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

I would never do one without being fully prepared to do a clean install. Last upgrade I did was to Snow Leopard and it was so bad I swore of upgrades and have done clean installs ever since.

Crap programming? If you do a clean install and everything works you might want to point that finger to Cupertino.

• 23. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                                                      Stephen Barrante Level 1

My point is that the creative cloud applications are the only ones failing as a result (we suspect) of OS upgrades. And the problem is widespread across all the apps... not just InDesign. And, it's really been more recently a problem with the 2015.2 and 2015.3 updates.

Yes, sure, if my entire studio wipes their computers clean and does a fresh install of all apps - I'm sure it will all work just fine. But, I think that's a poor expectation from Adobe and their users.

• 24. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                                                        Zebedy78

I find that when quitting the apps I have to Force Quit them too. They just continue to show as Not Responding otherwise

• 25. Re: Creative Cloud Apps Slow to Launch
                                                          grandedame

Same here! Even if it is the only thing I am trying to open - all other apps off - it takes ages. Sometimes I have to click on the photo 10 times before photoshop will open - it literally takes minutes.