3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2016 7:02 AM by Szalam

after fx keeps on filling up my 2nd screen with balck when not running

elxvandermeer

i cannot use my second monitor because after fx uses it as a second monitor. But i have not even started up any adobe program. All i get is a black screen and a cursor.  after ctrl-alt deleting i see after fx is suddenly running frikkin up my screen even though i never even started any adobe program.

• 1. Re: after fx keeps on filling up my 2nd screen with balck when not running
          elxvandermeer Level 1

now if i'm working on any adobe project after fx makes my second screen black. i have to close it down using control panel and then it's ok again for a while. really annoying

• 2. Re: after fx keeps on filling up my 2nd screen with balck when not running
            edit6d22971478 Level 1

Adobe After Effects CC 2015 version 13.7.1

OS X El Capitan

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 32 GB

Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

I am having the same issue but the 2nd screen is white.  Quitting AE does not restore the desktop, but I can move the mouse pointer over the white screen.  I can't drag any items with the cursor, though.  Restarting AE will allow me to use video preview via Mercury Transmit, but the white screen remains when I toggle or click the desktop.  If I unplug the Thunderbolt Display it resets the displays and works for 10-15 minutes before it happens again.  This started with 13.7.1.  I may downgrade to 13.7 and deal with the RAM preview playback bug, which is almost as annoying.

• 3. Re: after fx keeps on filling up my 2nd screen with balck when not running
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

edit6d22971478 wrote:

I may downgrade to 13.7 and deal with the RAM preview playback bug, which is almost as annoying.

At least that's easily fixed by simply docking another panel beneath your timeline like so:

Screen+Shot+2016-02-14+at+10.06.16+AM.png

This example shows the render queue docked under there, but you can put any panel there that you don't use while working. And it doesn't have to be very large either, as you can see.

But stepping back would take you away from some other nice things like the speed improvement on importing image sequences, so let's not get too hasty with the roll back. Maybe we can help you.

Could both of you share how your hardware is set up? Exactly what version of the OS you're using, what GPU you have, how the monitors are connected to that GPU, what kind of monitors they are, etc. could all be useful info.

What happens if you switch which monitor is plugged in where?

Does the problem stop if you disable Mercury Transmit?

1 person found this helpful