3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 8:47 PM by Steve Werner

How to save a package folder including CC library links?

carlab86975256

I'm trying to save a package folder with all of the contents of my book cover.

But since i learned how to use the CC libraries, i've been putting together my covers with a lot of CC library files.

But can't get the package done....

It always shows a problem saying it cannot save the linked files.

I checked all the links and they are OK....  so i'm guessing the problem is with the arts from the CC library....

Is that a problem when saving a package with the CC libraries contents?

How do i do it?

• 1. Re: How to save a package folder including CC library links?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have successfully packaged files which contain CC library files from InDesign CC, Illusrator CC and Photoshop CC.

What is the exact error message you're getting with the Package command?

Exact Version of InDesign? Operating system?

The only problem I've run into is if you have Illustrator or Photoshop files placed into InDesign and you drag the InDesign file to become a CC library asset. You would need to embed the files in InDesign before you add InDesign assets with non-library-linked graphics.

• 2. Re: How to save a package folder including CC library links?
            carlab86975256 Level 1

I think maybe that's the problem....

I did a layout in photoshop, but the to close the book, i just put everything (each element) into the CC library, and then into InDesign....

How do i transform it to make it work ok?

How do i embed the files?

How do i know if it's an asset?

• 3. Re: How to save a package folder including CC library links?
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first problem is probably doing the layout in Photoshop. Here's the way most publications are put together:

(1) You gather image files from your camera, from the web, from stock photography. Using Adobe Photoshop CC, you color correct, edit, and composite images together to make more complex images. You save these images as Photoshop (PSD) files to your local hard drive. If you're using CC libraries, you can drag these assets to Photoshop's Libraries panel.

(2) If you're using smooth, vector art (maybe things like logos, charts, illustrations, etc.) you create them in Adobe Illustrator and save them to your drive as AI files. If you're using CC libraries, drag this artwork piece by piece to Illustrator's Libraries panel.

(3) InDesign is best for layouts for many reasons. It can place artwork from a variety of sources. It supports different color spaces. It handles multiple pages well. It sets the highest standards for typography. It has a large variety of specialized tools for creating complex layouts—from single page to long documents. You place your Illustrator or Photoshop artwork from your local drive into your layout, or alternatively, you can drag library assets into the layout.

InDesign lets you create for a variety of kinds of output—print publications, PDF files for print or interactivity, eBooks (usually EPUB), or publishing to a server using a new Publish Online feature.

It sounds like you need a better overview of the publishing process. I recommend an inexpensive book for beginners by my friend Sandee Cohen:

From Design Into Print: Preparing Graphics and Text for Professional Printing

It would cover some of the basics you need to understand as you learn a new and somewhat complex field.

Good luck!