1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2016 10:56 AM by winterm

Having trouble selecting 2 items at the same time

it@caotti.net Level 1

I know this makes it sound like I'm an InDesign rookie, but I promise I'm not. I know how to select 2 items at the same time, but for some reason, it's not working on this, and I can't understand why.

I'm working on a trifold brochure, and I checked another thread in these forums for suggestions on how to create fold lines for it for the printer to use just to be sure they fold it the way it was designed to fold (I had used a trifold template I found online to determine where my folds should be, but it didn't come from the printer we use- our printer doesn't have templates. And the template doesn't really have any fold lines that are designed to print).

Anyway, the consensus in the other thread suggested drawing the lines manually.

So I did, and I placed them on the bleed area so they won't show on the final, cropped brochure.

Then I thought I'd better create a text box with the word "FOLD" next to the line just to be sure there was no doubt what the line was for.

Now I'm trying to select both the line and the text box so I can group them so they can be more easily duplicated for the the other fold lines in the document.

I've tried command-selecting the line (which is under the text box) then shift-selecting the text box, at which point the line deselects.

So then I tried to drag-select both items with my mouse, but again, only the text box was selected, the line was not.

I created the line with the line tool, not the pen tool. Would that make a difference?

Or could this have something to do with the fact that these items are outside the document area?

I can't think why this isn't working. It should be a no-brainer, but I've never seen anything like this happen before.

• 1. Re: Having trouble selecting 2 items at the same time
          winterm Level 4

Hm, the task is really that simple, it just must work.

Created with any tool - no difference.

Aside of that, here could be my two cents:

... I placed them on the bleed area so they won't show on the final, cropped brochure.

Don't use bleed area for this. Bleed area is for bleed.

Use slug area for printing instructions for the printer and similar stuff.

Also better approach is to create dedicated layer and put all your fold lines and notes there.

Far easier to manage it then: (un)lock, make (in)visible, (non) printable...

After locking all other layers you could easily select everything on that layer without bothering about command / shift keys, etc.

Just a good habit...