8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2016 9:37 AM by Ann Bens

Moving Project File

incognito12 Level 1

Thanks for any insights you can provide on this.  I'm using Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7.  I would like to edit my project on my C: drive which is a 1TB SSD.  When I'm done editing I'd like to store the project on an external drive which is a 1TB SATA.  If I have to reopen the project in the future to edit another version, etc. I would like to move it back to the SSD which is a lot faster.  Will the .prel file have any trouble locating the video files & other edit info?  Would it help to move the project in Adobe Organizer?

• 1. Re: Moving Project File
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Will the .prel file have any trouble locating the video files & other edit info?

Theoretical no. But no guarantees.

I cannot speak for the Organizer as I do not like it. I would rather use Explorer.

• 2. Re: Moving Project File
            MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

incognito12 wrote:

Thanks for any insights you can provide on this.  I'm using Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7.  I would like to edit my project on my C: drive which is a 1TB SSD.  When I'm done editing I'd like to store the project on an external drive which is a 1TB SATA.  If I have to reopen the project in the future to edit another version, etc. I would like to move it back to the SSD which is a lot faster.  Will the .prel file have any trouble locating the video files & other edit info?  Would it help to move the project in Adobe Organizer?

I am not a Premiere Elements user, but Elements and Premiere Elements do share the organizer for which I may be able to help.

'Projects' are features of catalogs in the Organizer. They are stored in the catalogs; they are lists of your assets (the media files which are not in the catalogs, but on your drives in the computer. They are like the 'albums', lists of links to the real location of your media files (kind of playlists). They use the data in the catalog database to know where to access the real files.

If you try to use the File >> Move command for projects, you get a dialog telling you can't move projects.

Moving an Elements or Premiere project does not mean moving the assets, the real media files. If you want to keep all the assets for a given project to a different location (a given folder on a given drive) for good reasons, you have to move them without losing the links in the catalog. You can move the files from the organizer for that. If you move those files from your explorer, you'll have to reconnect the files to the new location...  So the usual procedure is to move the files of the project (or create a copy by exporting) to the final destination before creating the project. That's what will give you more speed and an easier way to backup and save your projects with their support media. If you want to move your assets after the project is finished, it's possible with the organizer. You tell it to show the assets in the grid by right clicking and choosing to show the thumbnails in the grid. You select them and use the option to move the files to another location.

I think there may be a kind of project similar in Elements and and Premiere Elements, the slideshow projects. It's easier to select the photo files to begin with, put them in an album or assign a common keyword. From there, it's generally better to use the 'export' function to copy those files in an appropriate location, even if they come from different drives, if they have different formats. The export function lets you resize and rename the exported file for your project, keeping the sort order. Then it's easier to use the create function to create your project.

If I undestand the question correctly, the initial project will be created with assets on the fast C: drive. The assets may have been exported or moved there from the organizer.

Once the project is finished, you can also use the organizer to move the assets in a new folder in the external drive. The links are kept, and everything is usable.

You can move the assets back to C: if you want to edit in the same way.

Note that moving the project, not the assets would mean moving the catalog, which you can do easily, but that does not change much in the speed of operation.

I am curious to know if there is something very different in the way projects are used in Premiere Elements.

• 3. Re: Moving Project File
              whsprague Level 4

incognito12 wrote:

You are almost describing my normal workflow, but leaving out a couple steps.  I started doing it a couple years ago when I bought a i7, SSD equipped laptop just for video editing.   I can have the amazing speed of editing on an SSD that is limited in size and store projects where there are no limits.   The sole reason for the extra effort is to gain the advantage of SSD performance.  

My normal storage of original video and photo assets are kept on either the internal HDD or an external HDD.  I manage it all, including video clips, with Lightroom.   When I start a new project I create a dedicated folder on the C: SSD for only that project.  I usually create some sub folders, one for video assets, one for audio assets, one for finished output versions and one for still photos or graphics.   I use Lightroom or Explorer to send copies of the files I want to use to the dedicated C: SSD folder.   Lightroom makes it easy to pick and export everything I need.  (Be sure to pick "Original" as the video file type.)  Explorer might be a little quicker if you know where your files are.  I don't use Organizer at all so I can't suggest how to adjust the procedure.

Once all the assets are in place, I start Premier Elements with a new project that usually has a title to match the folder title like "Hawaii 2016".   The next step is critical.  Using Edit > Preferences make sure to assign all your "scratch disks" to the dedicated project folder.   Now go to work and complete the project. 

Premier Elements keeps everything in your dedicated project folder.    You can move the entire folder for storage anywhere to any device.  It does not work to open old projects on the storage drive or devices.  Anytime you want to work on a project, you move it back to where it came from on the C: SSD.  All the location, cache and preview folders line up with their pointers.   Sometimes the yellow "render" line shows up but that is quickly fixed.

Remember that new versions of Premier Elements will not be backwardly compatible with old projects.  Don't delete old versions!

Bill

• 4. Re: Moving Project File
                incognito12 Level 1

Thanks, Michael.  I'm not clear about Organizer and its function in this context.  Does it, for example, help the .prel file stay connected to the video files even if I've moved the .prel file?

• 5. Re: Moving Project File
                  incognito12 Level 1

Thanks, Bill.  I'm thinking along the same lines. I'm not sure I grasp the usefulness of Lightroom to manage the files.  Could you please say more about that?

Also, about the scratch disks, you assign them specifically to the project folder rather than to an external drive?

• 6. Re: Moving Project File
                    whsprague Level 4

incognito12 wrote:

I'm not sure I grasp the usefulness of Lightroom to manage the files.  Could you please say more about that?

It is about coming home from a trip with a card or cards full of photos and clips, maybe hundreds of them.  If you shoot RAW photos and ever use burst, you almost have to use something similar to Lightroom.  You have to somehow get all you've taken to your computer and get organized.  Why not do them all at once.  Some are OK, some great and some are trash.   Lightroom is made for that.  You put the card in the computer and Lightroom "sees" all the photo and clip formats and will copy them to your computer while organizing them in a single step called "Import". 

I split between shooting video and taking photographs with a couple cameras.  Lightroom organization works equally well for everything.  It does not discriminate!  My personal preference is to organize by date.  I can then tag, classify or collect in all the other ways Lightroom offers.  Lightroom has a perfectly good preview screen to help with that.  Lightroom has the ability to clip single frame  JPEGs from a video clip during preview.  It works pretty good with HD footage up to about 8x10.  With 4K from one of my cameras, it is very good making 8 megapixel stills, usable to about 13x19. 

It can be argued, but Lightroom (and Photoshop that comes with it) are as good as it gets for photos whether they are the RAWs or JPEGs straight from the camera.   The captured JPEGs from video work well too.  For video, there are some normal, but limited, clip editing tools in Lightroom.  You can adjust contrast, exposure and white balance on a video clip.  You can trim a clip.  If you want, you can put the edited clips together as a "slideshow", add music and output to a  HD quality MP4 suitable for YouTube, Vimeo or your own TV.

If you want to make a "real" video with a "real" NLE like Premier Elements or Premier CC, etc., Lightroom has the Export function.  You make your collection of "videos, Denmark, 2015" or whatever and however.  Select what is in the collection, including any stills you might want to use.  Right click on Export, check Video and be sure you use "Original".  That will make exact, untouch copies in a video editing folder.  Your originals remain as untouched backups and you go to work editing normally. 

The single important key is understanding what "Export Original video" is and does.

• 7. Re: Moving Project File

Maybe we should begin starting to ask what kind of camera (or footage) do you use.

• 8. Re: Moving Project File

Please people do not quote entire posts. Makes horrible reading.

And could be stick to Photoshop Elements (PSE) and Premiere Elements (PE) to avoid confusion.