1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2016 10:48 AM by Conrad C

Nasty clouds

iaaronm

Hello everyone,

I took a few weddings pictures, and during the evening the clouds looked amazing and beautiful! but when I shot it the clouds looked nowhere near the way they looked and idk if it was my settings. Is it my shutter, f-stop, and iso ?or is it the little stuff like the all al-servo [and stuff the other choices]  or the metering mode ? I hate it when i see amazing clouds and they look all spread out and nasty

f8, 125 of second, iso 100

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 10.06.18 AM.png

Idk why my clouds look like this either ?

f6.3, 400 of a second, iso 100

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 10.17.35 AM.png

• 1. Re: Nasty clouds
          Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The clouds probably would have looked great if they were the only subject in the picture. But the problem probably happened because the camera was trying to expose for both the clouds and the foreground subjects. The clouds are much, much brighter than the wedding couple or the ground, and that makes it difficult or impossible for the camera to fit the entire range from dark to light into the range the sensor can capture. If the camera exposure was set for perfect, dramatic clouds, chances are the people or the grass would have been too dark. If the exposure was set for perfectly exposed people or grass, the sky probably would be too light. The photos shown are the compromise that the camera arrived at.

There are a couple of ways to overcome this. The common solution is to add more light to the subject, using a reflector or a flash, so that you can get it closer to the brightness level of the sky. The other solution is to get a camera that has a sensor with wider dynamic range so that the entire range of brightness can be captured.

With the photos you have now, you can also use Lightroom tools like the Adjustment Brush to paint an adjustment into the sky. That adjustment should lower the Highlights and Exposure value, increase Clarity and Contrast, and maybe a little Dehaze.