11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2016 12:12 PM by Geoff the kiwi

Printing specific size Lightroom vs Photoshop

Arbutus

I need to print exact sizes on canvas using my Epson 9800 so they fit my stretchers bars- typically 30.5 x 40.5". A size error of 1/2' too small can turn a very expensive sheet of canvas into garbage. My prints are created and saved in the exact size they will need to be when eventually printed - 30.5 x 40.5@300ppi. I print using Photoshop because it is fairly logical and seems to "lock" the size while I move the image around the available sheet to create the necessary extra borders needed for stapling.

I gather the Lightroom community prefers printing from within Lightroom so I am trying to re-evaluate my assumptions. When I tried printing from within Lightroom a couple years ago I ruined an enormous pile of expensive canvas! Lightroom seemed totally bent on keeping the border widths and other layout choices as #1 priority then shrinking/ cropping/ altering the original image to fit whatever "hole" was left. That's a disaster for me.

I can see the great benefits of this method if the idea is to simply get an image (or several) quickly printed - contact sheets, 2 or 3 images on a single page, repeated same size images per page (regardless of variations of actual print dimensions) etc.

So did I miss something or is this basically correct-  Print from Photoshop when exact size is critical and use Lightroom for the rest?

• 1. Re: Printing specific size Lightroom vs Photoshop
          Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

Hi, Arbutus,

I think you have indeed missed something. Since Lightroom introduced its Print module, I've only printed from Photoshop rarely, and even then always wishing I had the Lightroom controls to make things easier. I am always able to get very precise dimensions coming out of Lightroom - the only time there is a mistake is when I make it, not from program misbehavior.

I would suggest starting with this introduction to the LR Print module, then making a few tests (preferably on smaller images, with paper). Then, come back here if you have questions or run into a problem you can't work past.

Print the Perfect Image - Julianne Kost:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-5/lightroom-5-pri nt-the-perfect-image/

Mike

• 2. Re: Printing specific size Lightroom vs Photoshop
            Arbutus Level 1

Thanks for the comments and link Mike.

I will re-read and indeed plan to use paper! I am hoping there is a option switch somewhere that says something like “preserve original dimensions” but I will give it a go.

I am using Lightroom 5 if that makes any difference. Unfortunately the new Lightroom CC(2015) that I downloaded crashes about a minute after launching.

cheers Barry

Barry Tate

EDITED by moderator to remove address details including email and phone.

Including the above can lead to spam and unwanted calls.

• 3. Re: Printing specific size Lightroom vs Photoshop
              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Barry Lightroom CC ought not crash as you mention.

What is your OS?

Look here as well for troubleshooting options.

• 4. Re: Printing specific size Lightroom vs Photoshop
                Arbutus Level 1

Hey Geoff

I’m using Macbook pro with OS10.10.5 (Yosemite)

Gone through 2 chat support sessions with Adobe (seriously good effort) then got transferred to a more senior techy. But before we got too far into it, the 3rd chat session mysteriously died.

At that point I’m thinking well LR5 is still working and maybe there isn’t enough difference between the programs to bother with anyway. Perhaps some weird incompatibility between Mac and Adobe that will get ironed out one day in a future update.

I will check out your links however and see if there is an easy fix. Thanks and cheers Barry

Barry Tate

EDITED by moderator to remove address details including email and phone.

Including the above can lead to spam and unwanted calls.

• 5. Re: Printing specific size Lightroom vs Photoshop

Barry, if you are replying via email... turn off your signature as your email and phone are showing on the forum and that is not a good idea...

• 6. Re: Printing specific size Lightroom vs Photoshop
                    Arbutus Level 1

Hi Geoff

On further investigation through the link you sent, I believe I've found the deal breaker. My Macbook pro isn't all that old IMO (mid 2013) and it was maxed out with the most ram, solid state HD, retina, every thing I could throw at it. But it looks like the new Lightroom CC(2015) has my graphics card listed (in a long list of cards) as not supported already! Intel HD 3000/4000

Really!!? The computers barely over 2 years old! That's a bit harsh.

So thanks for the tip and I will stay with LR5 for now. Barry

• 7. Re: Printing specific size Lightroom vs Photoshop
                      Bob Somrak Level 5

Why should it be a DEAL BREAKER.  A listed graphics card is not required to to run Lightroom.

• 8. Re: Printing specific size Lightroom vs Photoshop

Arbutus wrote:

Hi Geoff

On further investigation through the link you sent, I believe I've found the deal breaker. My Macbook pro isn't all that old IMO (mid 2013) and it was maxed out with the most ram, solid state HD, retina, every thing I could throw at it. But it looks like the new Lightroom CC(2015) has my graphics card listed (in a long list of cards) as not supported already! Intel HD 3000/4000

Really!!? The computers barely over 2 years old! That's a bit harsh.

So thanks for the tip and I will stay with LR5 for now. Barry

It may mean that you cant have GPU acceleration turned on but that is all. I have a MBP 2011 that works so I suspect something else.

But let's get back to your question, Lightroom prints exceptionally well and IF you have everything set correctly works perfectly - that is certainly my experience with Epson printers. Size is not an issue..

• 9. Re: Printing specific size Lightroom vs Photoshop
                          Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

Hi Arbutus,

If you have a mid-2013 MBP, all the heavy GPU lifting should be done by the Nvidia GPU, not the onboard Intel chip. I use a 2013 MBP with all the CC apps including LR and no issue at all.

Make sure you see the Nvidia card listed in "About this Mac," and make sure you have the "Energy savings" section of the System Preferences to allow "automatic graphics switching."

2016-03-27_09-01-08.jpg

2016-03-27_08-59-47.jpg

• 10. Re: Printing specific size Lightroom vs Photoshop
                            Arbutus Level 1

Hi all

Thanks for the support and the links!

I have removed LR2015 and will try reinstalling a new copy. If I get the ball again I will recontact Adobe and see if they can fix. (As per Geoffs suggestion in #3, LT apparently checks things out after launching to see if it likes the graphics cards et all which would explain the 1 minute delay- so I'm not too hopeful)

I've gone through the print module in LR5 and there are some cool features for sure. Can anyone tell me if there is any significant differences in printing from LR5 vs LR 2015 or are the upgrades mainly to other areas of the program? 

• 11. Re: Printing specific size Lightroom vs Photoshop

There are no changes in the Print Module that I can recall...