1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2016 7:36 PM by ssprengel

CC 2015 will not open CR2 raw files in photoshop with Camera Raw, please help?

StokeTheRage Level 1

It has been working fine until today.
      I have a mac OSX 10.8.5, photoshop is installed and up to date - CC (2014). I own a Canon 700D camera. I have not recently updated my computer's operating system, photoshop and camera raw have been working fine since creative cloud updated last - about a month ago?
      When I try to open a raw file (open with > adobe photoshop)
      Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 12.26.31 PM.png

I get this error message
      Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 12.28.18 PM.png

I got this also when I tried to go file > open recent > IMG_138.CR2. So I went to photoshop > preferences > camera raw... to see what was going on and I got another error messageScreen Shot 2016-03-26 at 12.26.17 PM.png

I got this same error message when I tried to look in photoshop > about plugin > camera raw.
      Camera Raw isn't working in Photoshop Elements either.
      Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 1.19.32 PM.png

But this doesn't make any sense because I could open raw files yesterday, everything was working fine. In Photoshop Elements, I went to Photoshop Elements > About Plugin > Camera Raw, but all I get is this:
      Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 12.27.17 PM.png

When I click on it, it disappears. When I go to photoshop elements > preferences > plugins, camera raw does not show up:
      Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 12.27.47 PM.png

Photoshop Elements will open digital negatives, yet Photoshop will not and I get the same "cannot recognise file type" dialogue. I doubt that using a raw file/digital negative converter will change this. I need camera raw to be working in photoshop.

I have restarted my computer, when that didn't fix it I uninstalled and reinstalled photoshop, but again I got the same response.

Does my computer have to have a certain amount of storage space available for camera raw to run? The only thing that has changed on my computer since I was last able to open raw files in photoshop is the amount of space on my computer - since importing the raw files from my camera using image capture I only have 32.37 GB left on my computer (raw files take up a lot of space!). I made sure there weren't any other massive applications open while I did this so there should have been enough ram. I have an external hard drive I can move photos to to free up some space, but if this shouldn't be a problem for camera raw then I don't know what else to do.

The only other thing I can think of that might have caused this, is that the last time I opened photoshop a few days ago I received this warning message

Screen Shot 2016-03-12 at 11.36.51 AM.png
      I simply clicked "OK", and after that camera raw seemed to work perfectly fine. It worked just like it did normally, so I assumed nothing was wrong and that the graphics processor acceleration or whatever was no longer disabled. Now I can't even open the Camera Raw preferences dialogue.

I've looked in the application folder for plug-ins, I'm not sure what is supposed to be there but Camera Raw definitely isn't. The Generator folder is empty - is that a problem?
      Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 1.31.53 PM.png

I've tried looking through other threads on this kind of problem with camera raw but I haven't seen one for CC 2015, let alone one where it was working fine and now is not, or that the computer's operating system hasn't been updated recently. I would prefer not to update my computer's operating system, if this would be the first thing you suggest. I don't see how it could be the fault of the operating system - it has been working fine until today. It has handled the updated CC perfectly well.

It's vital that Camera Raw is operational, I need it for my university photography class work and assignments. It would be rather annoying and very inconvenient if the only way I could get my work done would be to travel in to use the computers on campus, especially since I am paying $28 (NZ) a month for this software (which is more than the quoted $14.99 per month for secondary and tertiary students).

Help would be very much appreciated!

Kind Regards

Ellie Crowe

• 1. Re: CC 2015 will not open CR2 raw files in photoshop with Camera Raw, please help?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The 700D needs ACR 7.4 or newer and the 70D (if there was a typo) requires ACR 8.2 or newer.

PS CC 2015 as the title says needs OS X 10.9 or newer so PS CC 2014 is the newest PS CC you can run on your 10.8.

Photoshop Elements 11 that supports ACR 7.1 also supports ACR 7.4 so you should be able to update your PSE11 to ACR 7.4 and open the 700D raw files.

--

It is unclear why your PS CC 2014 can't be updated to at least ACR 8.2 which should run on your older OS.

I would uninstall PS CC 2014 completely, reboot, then reinstall and use Help / Updates to see if you can get a newer Camera Raw plug-in that works.