12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2016 8:20 PM by obersin

How to create this animation?

obersin

Hello,

I'm trying to animate a very bright flash that grows, shrinks, and originates with a sort of electrical storm very similar to what is found here at 3:08 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHQe3kWXOkg&list=PLk6q5jA8jEz1ni6g1jLDQA500KUmmq8Ff

I am trying to do practically the same thing, but in an oval. I've been at this for an hour now trying diffuse glow, but to no avail. Please help!

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to create this animation?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're talking about this:

flair.png

Since you can see through it and it's not a perfect oval you can assume blend modes, blurs, and more than one copy. AE also has some lens flair's and other lighting effects you can play with. Doing it with one animated layer is probably not going to work. The key to learning compositing is to grab a screenshot, think in layers and experiment with blend modes. Most of the composites I do that involve simulating lighting effects have 4 or 5 layers. I've had 20 or 30 for some shots. 

For example, creating a similar look at the top using this screen grab with 3 extra layers. A blurred pale blue star, a blurred pale blue oval and a smaller blurred pale blue oval all set to add mode. You then animate opacity.

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 7.09.29 PM.png

You could also try CC Light Burst, CC light Rays, CC Light Sweep, Lens Flair and combinations of all or some of them. Don't forget to experiment with blend modes and remember layers. The more layers the easier things are to control.

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 7.11.06 PM.png

• 2. Re: How to create this animation?
            obersin Level 1

Very helpful, but what about the lightning-like storm before what you mentioned? Also, how can I replicate the lightning around him after he appears? I have tried with both of the lightning effects, but haven't been able to create that cartoon-like look, or get the lightning to travel the same odd path as presented in the video, and the second use of lightning appears to be stationary and just a keyed fade out. While i'm asking, at about 0:57 in the video, he uses a kind of angel 3d model. How would a 3d animated model be achieved through after effects? I have trap code particular, but have never been able to accomplish something so sophisticated.

Thanks

• 3. Re: How to create this animation?

It's all layers, masks or shapes, blend modes effects. You can make Advanced lightning follow mask paths. Experiment and learn...

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 8.44.13 PM.png

• 4. Re: How to create this animation?
                obersin Level 1

Well in that photo, how would you limit the lightning to not exceed the circumference of the circle? Would I assign the emitter to the mask path? Also, what does the radius refer to in the settings of advanced lightning?

• 5. Re: How to create this animation?

I can't do it for you. You have to experiment. If you are talking about this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 11.29.27 PM.png

Then you are going to need about 6 copies of Advanced lightning to get all 6 forks that are coming from behind the symbol. Remember what I said about layers....

Three copies of Advanced lightning on each layer with bottom 2 set to composite on original. Two layers. Keep experimenting. Add a ring, add some more layers,

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 11.44.37 PM.png

You could also type "advanced lightning" in the search help field and check out the community resources and help files.

• 6. Re: How to create this animation?
                    obersin Level 1

The multiple lightning effects make sense, but could you explain what the blending modes do? Also, I still have not been able to produce that ring of lightning. I realize you don't want to do it for me, but could you provide instructions so I know how to do something of the sort again in the future? Aimlessly wandering about After Effects has not proven to be a very effective mode of learning for me.

Thanks

• 7. Re: How to create this animation?
                      adamneer Level 2

Come on man, he's already taken plenty of time explaining some pretty detailed techniques for you.  Now it's your turn to Google some of the basics to learn the rest.  No one learns After Effects all in one shot - you have to pick up things here and there and apply what you've learned as you move forward.  Adobe has plenty of literature online about blending modes, being that they exist in several of their programs in relatively the same manner and with the same functionality. Be aware there is no one way to do anything in After Effects (or Illustrator or Photoshop, etc.).  That is why you have to work at it, trial and error, and figure out how various techniques you've learned along the way can be applied to come up with your desired results.  I can guarantee you that the effect you're seeking above can be done in multiple ways not even discussed here.  Sometimes "aimlessly wandering about" in AE is precisely what you need to do in order to learn new tricks.

• 8. Re: How to create this animation?
                        obersin Level 1

Well I read up on all of the blending modes, but can not figure out the lightning for my life. Are either if you able to simply provide what the instructions for it? I can't figure this out! I came here for direct help, not to be told to experiment. I've done my experiments, and now that I have for the second time proven this to be a personally impossible task, could someone please just spend 5 minutes to answer my question and to save me from an eternity of failure? If neither of you can answer, i'll have to just screenshot the lightning ball and head over to creative cow or some other forum. I don't understand why you are all so resilient to simply providing me with instructions. After effects is a very intimidating, difficult program to master, and I don't have the time to undergo the period of unassisted discovery that apparently everyone else on this forum has undergone.

• 9. Re: How to create this animation?
                          adamneer Level 2

People are resistant to providing instructions like this for a number of reasons: 1. As I said previously, there are many different ways to go about something in AE.  Telling you how to do something step by step is not going to result in you learning the program and when you see something else you want to emulate, you're just going to keep asking for the same help.  It's like learning a musical instrument.  You can look up chords or sheet music to play your favorite songs, but unless you devote time and attention to learning the basics and building a foundation, you'll never be able to do anything more than copy.  2. People who provide assistance in this forum are not compensated in any way for their help.  Many, if not all of the people who contribute here make a living using the software or are at least in a related field.  Threads pop up every day asking how this or that effect was done and despite a wealth of knowledge available via Google, the helpful members here generally supply guidance.  It is not hard to see who is interested in learning After Effects and who is interested only in learning how to reproduce something they saw on YouTube.  People in creative fields are very open and willing to help each other further their abilities, but there has to be a certain level of dedication and effort from both ends.  An accountant might give you a few pointers on your taxes, but you wouldn't expect them to walk you through them step by step without getting paid.

Rick gave you a good start and even provided screenshots, which is more than most contributors would do.  You are absolutely welcome to take your question over to Creative Cow, and to be honest, there's no reason you shouldn't have already.  It's part of the process of learning something like AE, gathering knowledge from as many sources as you can, not expecting one person or even one forum to teach you all you need to know.

• 10. Re: How to create this animation?
                            obersin Level 1

Thanks for your lengthy and useless input. I'll bring this overto creative cow. And for the record, gaining experience in how to create a certain effect can not only allow for further customization and experimentation, but also provide someone with basic experience. I've played guitar for over 12 years, and I learned by askinng someone "how do you play this", however, there aren't tabs or chords for after effects, which makes itvery difficult to learn! I am very disappointed that this useless forum is Adobe's choice of a how-to support system.

• 11. Re: How to create this animation?

The screenshots I posted showed all modified properties for the lightning effect. Copy the settings and duplicate my result. It's not hard.

• 12. Re: How to create this animation?
                                obersin Level 1

I tried multiple times duplicating your exact settings, but my results were drastically different in both of the lightning attempts.