4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2016 3:36 PM by teryg

How to do image swipe?

teryg Level 1

Hi all,

I'm very new to FXL EPUBs. I've worked my way through a couple of lynda.com courses and made a few small EPUBs outside of that. I have an EPUB that includes several images that I would like to have work something like a slideshow. The images are in a multi-state object and I've got them working when you tap the image, but I can only get that to move forward. I'd like to be able to swipe forward and back through them. There's an Alice in Wonderland example on lynda.com that does what I want, but the source isn't there, just the EPUB. I suspect the swipe is working because they're going between pages, not between sections within an individual page.

Is there a way to get the kind of swipe I want working, or does that not exist in FXL EPUBs at this point?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to do image swipe?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'd be happy to stand corrected but I don't know of any way to do that with swiping.

Instead I would use animations in an MSO which each state triggered on state load. The fly in or fly out effect would probably be sufficient to get you close to what you want.

• 2. Re: How to do image swipe?
            teryg Level 1

I found a way to create a "fake swipe" that might work. I'll have to try it out one some other people. I left the MSO as it was, but added two transparent buttons on top of the image stack--one on the left half and one on the right. The one on the right goes to next state. The one on the left goes to previous state. If other people are like me, when they want to swipe forward, they touch the right side of the screen first, then drag R->L. To go backward, I touch the left side of the screen first and drag L->R. So it's still operating on the tap, with the drag being irrelevant, but it does mimic a swipe.

• 3. Re: How to do image swipe?
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I doubt that’s going to work. I would test it out with a small focus group before I went in that direction.

IMO, you’d be far better off with a visible next and previous button that make things obvious. There is zero reason I can think of to try and force this into the document and make things harder for your readers.

Hiding things like this makes for a very poor user experience.

• 4. Re: How to do image swipe?
                teryg Level 1

I ended up going with both. I have arrows, but I also have a swipe. So there are two ways to go backward and forward.