16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2017 8:45 AM by whsprague

4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?

ricksprintshop

Hi,

I'm currently using Premiere elements 13 and I've edited some UHD footage at 3840 x 2160 at 59.95fps. I'm trying to export the edited footage at exactly the same settings but am having issues, so I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to PE14?

Whilst using premiere elements 13 it offers me the option to begin a new project (QFHD 16 x 9 @ 59.94) - however, the export options do not reflect this, nor offer me the same 59.94 framerate as an export option.

Long story short, I've spent ages trying everything I can think of to get PE13 to save my UHD footage in the required format, but to no avail.  Will PE14 enable me to export in 3840 x 2160 at 59.95fps without any hassles?

Appreciate any help on this - thanks.

• 1. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
          whsprague Level 4

I can't tell you if you should upgrade or not.  I'm using PrE13 and have the choice of 59.94 under the Advanced button.  When I try to select it, I get an error code.   But, I don't have 60p footage to start with, which may be a limitation.  

What is the source of the footage?  I know of no camera in normal consumer price ranges that can create 4K at 60p. 

• 2. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
            ricksprintshop Level 1

I'm using the Panasonic AG-DVX200 to gather the footage.

I've just downloaded the trial version of PrE14 and so far it looks promising. The render options I am looking for are there and the custom options give you full control over the 4K rendering, including the bit-rate, which is quite important.

I'll have another play with some test footage but it looks like I'll be taking the plunge and buying version 14.

• 3. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
              whsprague Level 4

Please post your results.  I would like to know if 14 is that much better with 4K.

Why are you using Premier Elements when you have a $4500 camera?  Aren't you shooting V-Log and using LUTS? 

Bill

• 4. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
                ricksprintshop Level 1

Will do    Been using premiere elements since vers 3 so its mostly second nature and has done everything I need up until now.   Spent ages trying to learn Final cut pro on a mac, but its been a most frustrating time, it's nowhere near as easy or as intuitive as I was hoping so have given up on that for now.  I would like to buy the full premiere version as I'm familiar with Adobe systems, but I refuse to rent software, period, so may have to go to apple in the end after all  

Still learning with the camera, V-log and LUTS are a very new to me, but hopefully will get to grips with them in time.  

• 5. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
                  whsprague Level 4

ricksprintshop wrote:

Will do    Been using premiere elements since vers 3 so its mostly second nature and has done everything I need up until now.   Spent ages trying to learn Final cut pro on a mac, but its been a most frustrating time, it's nowhere near as easy or as intuitive as I was hoping so have given up on that for now.  I would like to buy the full premiere version as I'm familiar with Adobe systems, but I refuse to rent software, period, so may have to go to apple in the end after all

Still learning with the camera, V-log and LUTS are a very new to me, but hopefully will get to grips with them in time.

I do like your camera and find what I read about it as impressive.

I started with PrE 9, have enjoyed 10, 11 and now 13.  I think "intuitive" comes with what you learn.  You sort of get "branded" with a pattern of how things are supposed to work.  Then other methods are hard because some "un-learning" is needed before new learning starts. 

I've chosen to rent Lightroom and Photoshop that includes the mobile stuff.  I justify the $10 each month as about equal to a lunch or film I used to buy.  To get Premier CC they want $20 a month.  As an amateur I choose not to and continue with PrE.  I'm comfortable with it and have been able to make it do everything I can imagine.   I used to insist I would never pay monthly and my "kit" was Lightroom, Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements.

Is there any indication that V-Log and LUTS will work in 14?  I've loaded some S-Log (Sony) in 13, but of course it is "flat".  Grading is totally manual. 

Bill

• 6. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
                    ricksprintshop Level 1

Hi again BIll,

Have been using PrE14 for a week or two now and I'm pretty happy with it in regards to it handling 4K footage. It makes easy work of setting up and exporting in 4K (even in 60fps), so much easier than in PrE13.  The presets for 4K also produce some clean looking footage with smaller file sizes than the original footage, which is saving me some disk space too.

I haven't been able to find anything out about using LUT's in Premiere Elements. I did have a play with V-log mode and the limited selection of LUT's built into Final Cut Pro, but my over-all impression wasn't that favorable. I can see it would be great in some situations, but whenever I've used V-Log mode so far, I just can't get the rich colors I want (after applying the LUT's - or manually) without introducing lots of digital noise. I'm probably doing something wrong, as I said, it's all a bit new to me, but for now I'm happy to shoot in regular mode which looks superb anyway.   

Just as an additional side note; At the moment, I've discovered that YouTube can not handle 4K/60fps. They crunch the 4K/60fps file down to 1080/60fps and I've noticed the resulting YouTube video is of a poorer quality than if you film it in 1080/60fps and upload it in that same format, so for now, that's what I'll probably be doing, and hold off filming in 4K until YouTube upgrade it to 60fps, as I much prefer working with 60fps now I've discovered how good it looks      

• 7. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
                      whsprague Level 4

Thank you for the update.  My gear limits me to 4Kp30.  PrE 13 and Vimeo keep me happy.  My gear does not allow and log profiles so LUTs aren't in my procedures either. 

• 8. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
                        egasd

I just got Premiere 14. It is terrible.  It edits 4K but it can't export it correctly.

There is a easy menu for 4K export. I select 4K export. It estimates for 19sec video about 360mb which is correct but exported file is 10 mb. Obviously there is a bug. Wouldn't expect it from Adobe.

Don't waste your time and money. Stay away from this product!

• 9. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
                          whsprague Level 4

egasd wrote:

I just got Premiere 14. It is terrible. It edits 4K but it can't export it correctly.

There is a easy menu for 4K export. I select 4K export. It estimates for 19sec video about 360mb which is correct but exported file is 10 mb. Obviously there is a bug. Wouldn't expect it from Adobe.

Don't waste your time and money. Stay away from this product!

Maybe you are not using it correctly.  Go up two posts and you'll find someone that finds it works well.  And, Adobe encourages you to use this for free for 30 days so that you can keep from wasting your money if you find something not to your liking.

Perhaps you can post your output steps including screen shots and another user will help find why your output file is not what you expect.

Bill

• 10. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
                            John Simon Beverly

If the export options provided by the h.264 codec doesn't allow you to export unusual sizes or combinations with high frame rates, try using the more modern (but more processor intensive, both for encoding and decoding) h.265 codec, which allows for e.g. 3840 x 3840 over/under stereoscopic @ 60 fps, and lots of other formats which h.264 won't allow.

• 11. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
                              TechCritic

Hi John,

I just stumbled over the codec topic, while trying to export a 4k Video usind Premiere Elements 14. I just see in the export dialogs support for H.264 but not for H.265. Do I miss something or is there a way to add this codec to PE 14? Thanks for any hint :-)

• 12. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
                                John Simon Beverly Level 1

You probably need to install the h.265 codec (also called HEVC) separately for Premiere Elements - try using the Divx installer for Mac OS X, it includes h.265.

• 13. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
                                  TechCritic Level 1

I tried now various things:

- Downloaded and installed VLC for Windows => no effect!

- Downloaded and installed DIVX Pro => no effect!

I even purchased PE 15 today => and still, there is no export function which allows to use "H.265" (only MP 4 - XAVCS, which uses H.264). Any idea?

GPU: Nvidia 1080

Ram: 64 GB Ram

• 14. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
                                    whsprague Level 4

TechCritic wrote:

I even purchased PE 15 today => and still, there is no export function which allows to use "H.265" (only MP 4 - XAVCS, which uses H.264). Any idea?

There shouldn't be.  There is nothing in the Adobe provided specifications that Premier Elements 15 would include H.265.  Adobe aims Premier Elements at consumers who buy "consumer priced" cameras.  The only cameras in that range that used H.265 recently were the Samsung NX1 and (maybe) the NX500.  Both have been discontinued.  If you bought one of those cameras it came with Cyberlink PowerDirector.  In the consumer priced (under $100) market, PowerDirector was the only one of the 4 or 5 NLEs in that group listing H.265 capability.

None of the newest cameras from Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Nikon or Canon that a consumer would buy use H.265.

In other words, H.265 is a rarity at consumer levels.   At prices higher than $100 outright, you can try Premier Pro CC that you rent by the month.  Another "pro" system was Sony Vegas.  A corporate reshuffle caused it to become "Magix Vegas Pro 14 Edit" at about $400.  Specifications list H.265 as an export option, but not import. 

There may be other lower priced NLEs that include H.265 capability.  I have no idea how to cause Premier Elements to use H.265.  Like all codecs, my understanding is that its use, or license, has to be paid for in some way unless it becomes "public domain". 

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
                                      TechCritic Level 1

Thanks whsprague! I less concerned about recording in H.265.

However, my concern is exporting in H.265! I want to watch my edited videos on a Sony 4K (newest release 2016) television. There seem to be some incompatibilities with Adobe Premiere Elements and the Sony TV if H.264 is used (I tried a lot in regards to H.264 settings, e.g. played with ffps) - whatever, after the export Sony can not play it and also if I use Synology DS Play 216 both devices have difficulties with the file. So, that is why I wanted to try H.265 (smaller and officially supported).

• 16. Re: 4k - Will Premiere Elements 14 export 3840 x 2160 at 59.94fps?
                                        whsprague Level 4

TechCritic wrote:

Thanks whsprague! I less concerned about recording in H.265.

However, my concern is exporting in H.265! I want to watch my edited videos on a Sony 4K (newest release 2016) television. There seem to be some incompatibilities with Adobe Premiere Elements and the Sony TV if H.264 is used (I tried a lot in regards to H.264 settings, e.g. played with ffps) - whatever, after the export Sony can not play it and also if I use Synology DS Play 216 both devices have difficulties with the file. So, that is why I wanted to try H.265 (smaller and officially supported).

In November (when I last posted to this topic) I was using Premier Elements 13 and had a ten year old TV.  Since then I bought a new Samsung 4K TV and upgraded to Premiere Elements 15.  I'm using the default output presets and options to make 4K MP4 video files that use H.264.  I copy the resulting video file to a flash drive, plug it directly into one of the TV's  USB ports and use the TV's remote and menu system to play the video.  It works extremely well.

Before I bought the Samsung, I went to two TV stores.  It was common for them to have "demo" videos on flash drives plugged into their various TV models.   My understanding at that time was that all new model of 4K TVs would play H.264 MP4 files directly from a flash drive.   If your Sony, or other brand, TV is a 2014 or 2015 model, it may not work and you'll have to find some sort of media player.

Don't  let H.265 get in your way.  Current reading will suggest it is hung up in licensing and royalty payment issues.  It won't be "mainstream" for awhile. 

Good luck!

Bill