16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2016 8:11 AM by Jao vdL

Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E

danielmoralesletelier

Hi, I'm feeling very frustrated working with LR 2015CC and Nikon D800E. I can't work in a permanent way, importing, categorizing and developing photos. I've worked with move, convert, and copy options. In the most of the cases it works, but when I start to review photos and developing, issues starts.

I've upload aprox 1200 photos from CompactFlash and SD cards.

Technical details:

OS X El Capitan 10.11.2

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012

i5 2.5Ghz

8Gb 1067MHz Ram DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536Mb

Lightroom CC 2015.5 CameraRaw 9.5

Photoshop CC 2015.1.2

I'm starting a new catalog, but the problems are the same.

Here are some examples of LR. Some files on disk have 0 size, others has size but aren't showed on LR.

Captura de pantalla 2016-03-26 a las 1.00.33 p.m..png

Captura de pantalla 2016-03-26 a las 1.00.53 p.m..png

I don't have file permissions problems, they are by default, I'm owner and mode permissions are 777 for all files.

Thanks in advance. I stay tuned for questions.

• 1. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E
          dj_paige Level 9

Here are some examples of LR. Some files on disk have 0 size, others has size but aren't showed on LR.

If a file has zero size on disk, it most likely has been corrupted somehow. Does it show a size of zero on disk in your operating system as well?

• 2. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E
            danielmoralesletelier Level 1

Hi, thanks for your answer. Is not a problem of corrupted file. Original files are still on cards and also copied to an external USB disk. I'm able to open and review all files. My problem start in LR.

• 3. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E
              dj_paige Level 9

Did you confirm (or not) that the photo has size 0 in your operating system?

What software are you using to "open and review" all files?

• 4. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E

I can confirm that no file has size 0. I open them with 'preview' or 'photoshop'.

• 5. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E
                  dj_paige Level 9

Are these RAW files? If you open one in Photoshop and then proceed to edit the RAW in Adobe Camera Raw, can you edit the photo this way?

• 6. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E

Yes, all are RAW files. I have not done the test you mention me. I can open files using Photoshop and use some plugins like Nik Collection or Tony Kuyper. I'll test what you tell me and let you know.

• 7. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E

Hi again. I do a complete test:

1 attach CD card to my computer

2 copy files into a new folder on external USB disk

3 open LR and create a new catalog

4 import raw files using 'copy' option, destination is in other external disk... completely new

After that, problems begun.

Attached you found some images:

- LR and crash condition ...

- I was able to open one of the files that LR doesn't show: _DML8288.NEF. I work it in Camera Raw, then in PS and finally save to tiff and export to jpg using TK plugin

I'm more than frustrated. Yes always is posible work in a second option, without use of LR. But I want to use LR, I have my catalogs and other stuffs. I have another catalogs with other photos taken from mostly with Nikon D7200 and a few with D800E, without this symptom.

Captura de pantalla 2016-03-26 a las 6.35.54 p.m..png

Captura de pantalla 2016-03-26 a las 6.35.29 p.m..png

Captura de pantalla 2016-03-26 a las 6.50.12 p.m..png

After that, I try to close LR but it hangs...

Captura de pantalla 2016-03-26 a las 6.51.40 p.m..png

If I close the app from this menu, is imposible to start again LR without having to reboot computer.

I really hope that you can give me some advice or recommendation to finally solve this situation.

• 8. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E
                        dj_paige Level 9

Well I only have a guess or two

In Lightroom, turn off the GPU acceleration — go to Preferences, click on the performance tab, then uncheck the box

If that doesn't help, try uninstalling (sign out of Lightroom CC first) and then re-installing Lightroom. Be sure to have your serial number(s) available.

• 9. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E
                          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What do these two statements mean:  "Some files on disk have 0 size" and "no file has size 0"?

• 10. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E

I work with GPU acceleration turned off and I tried two times re-installing LR ...

So ... Really I don't understand this kind of situation. Maybe is a problem of computer, but is not so easy simply go and buy a new compu. It's a problem in size of D800E's files?

• 11. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E

Original files, on SD or CF cards and in backup folder doesn't have 0 size. But, after successful import and LR crash, files show 0 size.

• 12. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Turn off the setting shown below if it is on.  This is the one setting that gives LR permission to write data to your raw files after they are copied.  Once this setting is off, if newly imported photos that are NEFs (not DNGs) continue to show zero bytes then either the photos are not getting copied correctly in the first place or something external to LR is writing to them and making them zero bytes.  It would be useful to know if LR is not able to copy them in the first place for some reason. Maybe your hard-drive is failing.  Have you checked for disk errors?

Another experiment to help determine what might be happening would be to import the NEFs, again, to another location on the same hard-drive then another location on a different hard-drive and see if the same issue happen to the same photos.  You'll need to turn off suppression of duplicates and filter for All photos not just New photos, so you can import things more than once.

• 13. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E

I've made the import to different location on same disk and into a different hard drive.

After than LR hangs, is not posible to run the program again ... One interesting thing is that I can't unmount the external hard disk that contains files copied from CF. The only workaround is reboot macos. I'll do this and then test your first recommendation. I let you know.

• 14. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E
                                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My guess is that the second external drive that you are copying the files to in Lightroom itself is having problems. The no responding message you see in the task manager is very typical for a I/O snafu that locks up disk access. You should try running disk utility on this second hard disk you are copying to in the Lightroom copy step and seeing if it has corruption and needs repairs. Another alternative is to instead of copying to use add, since you already copied your images onto an external hard disk before you even ran import but that might be incommensurate with your workflow.

Also, do you run your hard drives through a USB hub? If so, try connecting them directly. Some of these hubs can be quite flaky.

Whatever you do run disk utility on all your drives. It really sounds like some major issues with your disks.

• 15. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E

Finally, it seems that I/O was the root cause. Everything that I do, keep errors on LR. Last thing that I did was to move catalog from external disk to internal disk of MacOS. I opened from this location and everything seems to work fine now.

I'm not using any kind of hubs, disk are directly connected to computer. But I need to run a disk check. Thanks for your advice.

Thank you very much to all who answered my case.

• 16. Re: Problems using LR CC + Nikon D800E
                                        Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Indeed run a disk check and first check if all the cables are seated well. That's another common cause of IO problems. USB cables can sometimes go bad too.