This content has been marked as final. Show 2 replies
Hi, Michael, and welcome to the forum,
The simpler solution would probably be for your writers to modify each child .chm file so that it looks and acts like the parent .chm file. This means:
1) Changing the project settings of each child .chm file so that all the other .chm files in the collection are merged into it. This allows the user to view the consolidated index from any child .chm file, and conduct searches across all the files. See the section called "Step 2 - The [MERGE FILES] statement" in this article:
2) Changing the window properties of each child .chm file so that the TOC displayed is that of the parent. See the section called "Step 3 - Slave Windows Definitions" in the article above.
The more complicated solution is to channel all the help calls through the parent .chm file, using the techniques described here:
Or perhaps you can adapt the HH_DISPLAY_TOPIC method that I've described here:
Be careful with option 1. When we upgraded from RH9 to X3 this functionality was broken in Robohelp, and we got nasty recursive TOCs. There was a workaround of only doing the compile through HTML Help Workshop, but that meant we couldn't use conditional tags or other nifty RH features. We ended up changing our process to #3 - channelling all help calls through the parent chm.
It's possible this has been fixed since X3, but we haven't tried it as our system works and we didn't want to get the developers to change the product again.
I would recommend a small test with only one or two projects, rather than your full help system to start with.