7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2016 1:27 PM by wobertc

How can I whiten my images?

AdrianLou

How can I whiten my images? Sometimes the objects in the background are colours other than white, black or grey, (neutrals). I'd like to be able to whiten them without affecting the main object of the image.

• 1. Re: How can I whiten my images?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom doesn't have a "replace color" feature like Photoshop does. You can lighten and darken colors with the adjustment brush, but there is no tool that will enable you to completely change a color.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I whiten my images?
            AdrianLou Level 1

I tried doing that with photoshop but it wasn't what I was looking for. I just tried the adjustment tool in LR but it wasn't right as well. I tried to upload images here, to show you what I mean but they won't upload. There is this app called Facetune, it has a whiten tool and you can whiten any colour besides black and the images turn out amazing. This is what I have done for most of my Instagram photos here. If you can take a look or even try it out that would be great. I think it'll give you a better understanding of what I mean. I have tried everything I can think of in PS & LR but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thank you for your help.

Sophia

• 3. Re: How can I whiten my images?
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Something like this?

Generally, it's about reducing saturation and contrast.

Raising the shadows reduces contrast even more, and raising whites and highlights adds a "whitening" effect.

In addition to what's done here, you could also use the Color panel to adjust hue, saturation and luminance of individual colors.

low-contrast-lr.png

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How can I whiten my images?
                wobertc Adobe Community Professional

The HSL panel is very useful for achieving unusual colors and tints.

You can selectively adjust the Hue, Saturation and Luminance of each individual color.

If you use HSL for global adjustments, the Adjustment brush can be used to restore local areas back to normal by an opposite brush setting.

Screen-clip done entirely in HSL-

ScreenShot009.jpg

• 5. Re: How can I whiten my images?
                  AdrianLou Level 1

Thanks for responding. I did that as well though but I guess the best way to achieve what I want it to use backgrounds that are already white.

• 6. Re: How can I whiten my images?
                    AdrianLou Level 1

Not necessarily that, I did that as well but it wasn't what I was looking for. I think the best way to do it would be to take pictures in backgrounds that are already neutral coloured.

• 7. Re: How can I whiten my images?
                      wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Use white backgrounds- yes. That would make it easier!

The adjustment brush will also remove color- Set 'Saturation' at -100

Use 'AutoMask' to brush around visible edges, then turn 'AutoMask' off to brush large areas.

and you also have the other brush sliders of exposure, color temp, etc.

Brush work-

ScreenShot466.jpg