9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 10:30 AM by Just Shoot Me

Export fail - cannot find file

benoitr5155416

Hello,

I'm new user with Lightroom and have been starting managing my pictures, doing changes, managing collection.

I'm reaching the point of exporting my pictures for sharing and here start the problem.

I'm using LR 6.3.

My catalog is on my Mac

My photos are located on a SINOLOGY NAS

Within Lightroom when i click right on a picture and select display in Finder : It works fine locating my picture

There's no question mark on the picture itself which would tend to say there's a problem finding the original file

Well.... everything seems to be fine except that when exporting my photo it consistently fails saying that the file cannot be found.

This was working fine until now and i'm just wondering what could be wrong with either my catalog or else which could explain this.

Thx in advance for your help

Chet

• 1. Re: Export fail - cannot find file
          benoitr5155416 Level 1

Additionnal information : Same problem occurs for each operation trying to access my photos: saving Metadata to disk for instance or deleting pictures marked as rejected (for this last command there is an Internal Error message returned : Assertion failed: CFURLGetFSRef( (CFURLRef) thisURL, &fileRef ))

Chet

• 2. Re: Export fail - cannot find file
            benoitr5155416 Level 1

Same with LR6.5 that i just installed today

• 3. Re: Export fail - cannot find file
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

There have been problems with LR properly addressing Synology NAS boxes and Mac OS X in the past. This is more than likely some type of User permissions problem on the NAS box.

Did you recently do any updates to OS X? Apple tends to Push them out without properly notifying the user. There has been a rash of problems with newer versions of OS X and permission problems.

• 4. Re: Export fail - cannot find file
                benoitr5155416 Level 1

Hello,

thx for this first answer.

Yes I did an update of Mac OS yesterday. Can't tell you if it was working or not before this update. Fact is that today it's not working at all.

I Checked in the finder and I'm connected to the NAS. Not sure what can be done here. Any advise ?

thx

Chet

• 5. Re: Export fail - cannot find file
                  benoitr5155416 Level 1

Hey team,

Did a few more testing as it really sounds like there is a read / write access to the folder containing my pictures (PhotoOriginal)

1 - i checked in the DSM that R/W access were granted to users connecting to the NAS from the Mac : All is fine

2 - From the Finder i can also read and write data in this same folder

3 - From LR: i created a brand new catalog and tried to import photos (Add option) coming from PhotoOriginal: KO : "Preview not available for this file" and import fails saying that files cannot be found

4 - From LR: still in the above test catalog i tried importing photos contained in the Photos folder (the one managed by PhotoStation): OK, Preview are available, Import is OK and i can export any of these picture

5 - Created on the NAS a brand new folder making sure access are granted to the user connecting to the NAS from the Mac. In the Finder copied a folder coming from "Photos" with a few pictures

6 - Repeated Step 3 with this brand new folder : KO - No preview nor way to find pictures when doing the import.....

Sounds like i'm a corner here and have no way to retrieve a normal access from LR to the folder containing my original pictures.

Thx  to anyone who could help fixing this

Regards

Chet

• 6. Re: Export fail - cannot find file

On the NAS make sure your username is added to the list and has full read & write permissions. Just having Everyone might not do it.

• 7. Re: Export fail - cannot find file
                      benoitr5155416 Level 1

Hello,

when saying all users I meant to say each declared user on the NAS has read/write access to the folder.

TThis is really only from LR that files cannot be accessed nor written. From the Finder it's all fine

thx

Chet

• 8. Re: Export fail - cannot find file
                        benoitr5155416 Level 1

Hello,

Finally found a way to solve my problem.

It appears that Sinology also published a new version of DSM which may have introduced some changes in the way to access the shared folders from PC / Mac.

The serveur address to connect to the NAS has been modified. Old one was still working using from Finder only by had a side effect preventing Lightroom to access some of the shared folders (despite access was granted to the User).

Solution is way simple :

1 - In DSM go into File Services menu and scroll to the File Services for Mac

2 - In this section Copy the address for Mac (Finder) displayed

3 - In the Finder Cmd + K (GO / Connect to Server)

4 - Enter the copied Address and key in your User / Password

5 - Select the shared folder you want to access

Done

• 9. Re: Export fail - cannot find file

That is why I said it is a problem with the Synology NAS and OS X.