5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 4:42 PM by johnrellis

Selecting Multiple Images Progressively Slower

LitewriterRS Level 1

This problem has been with me since starting to use LR CC (now on 2015.5). In Library, if I select multiple images, either with click+shift or click+CTRL, there is a progressively longer delay until I can perform any operation on those selected images -- anything from adding a keyword to putting them in a collection.  When I release the selection, either by clicking on an unselected image or entering CTRL+D, again there is a progressively longer delay.  If I persist, eventually, LR starts 'flashing', and finally has to be terminated, usually through the Task Manager (Windows). I have started closing and reopening LR after maybe 5 operations. From what I can see, the problem is either with use of memory or possibly with CPU.  Disk usage does not appear to enter the picture.

I am running Windows 10 and a DIY computer, with an Intel Core i7-3770 CPU and 16GB RAM. I initially used the motherboard's onboard graphics, but installed a GeForce GTX 760 video card thinking that might help. The program is running from a SSD. The Camera RAW cache is stored on a separate SSD, and virtual memory for my system is on yet another SSD. I don't see any delays when I'm processing an image in Develop.  But I do need to be able to manage my catalog -- one of the prime reasons for having Lightroom!

Please help -- do I need more memory? Is there a setting within LR that might need changing?

• 1. Re: Selecting Multiple Images Progressively Slower
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

In the Metadata panel in the right column of Library, is the dropdown set to Default?

Untitled.png

A couple of years ago, LR could slow down considerably when that was not set to Default, though that was fixed for most people a long time ago.  Perhaps your problem is related.

Another troubleshooting step: Try setting Metadata > Show Metadata For Target Photo Only.  Does that alleviate the symptoms?

• 2. Re: Selecting Multiple Images Progressively Slower
            LitewriterRS Level 1

Using Default helps some, but the setting for Metadata>Show Metadata For Target Photo Only is what solved the problem.  Thank you!

• 3. Re: Selecting Multiple Images Progressively Slower
              the setting for Metadata>Show Metadata For Target Photo Only is what solved the problem.

There's clearly something bad happening with your LR, since it shouldn't be necessary to select this setting.  Note that if you ever want to change a metadata field for a batch of photos at once (e.g. caption or keywords), you'll need to uncheck the setting.

• 4. Re: Selecting Multiple Images Progressively Slower
                LitewriterRS Level 1

That's not good at all!  The main reason for selecting multiple images is to update keywords.

So what in the world is 'something bad'? Any ideas? Would you recommend uninstalling and reinstalling?  I don't know that I've done that.  The update from Win 7 to Win 10 worked quite well, and this problem predated that upgrade.  I did not have to reinstall any of the Adobe programs, that I recall.

The metadata is what I watch to see that LR is 'done' since the display changes to show <mixed> in the appropriate fields. But isn't the metadata stored with the images on the disk?  Or is it in the catalog? If it's either of those places, then the program should simply be reading it. I have optimized the catalogs (i have several) to see if that would help, but it made no difference.

• 5. Re: Selecting Multiple Images Progressively Slower

I don't know any reasonable guesses as to what might be causing this.  You could try uninstalling / reinstalling, though that doesn't fix many problems with LR and I'd guess it wouldn't help here. You could try making a new test catalog, import all your photos into it, and see if the problem still happens with the fresh test catalog.  (But beware that it can take LR hours to rebuild previews if you have lots of photos.)

If you keep Metadata > Show Metadata For Target Photo Only selected, you could use Metadata > Copy Metadata and Paste Metadata to copy keywords from one photo to selected photos, or you could use the Painter tool.  Neither is quite as convenient, though.