9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2016 9:00 AM by MW Design

In design pagesize

Malin Ritare Bengtsson Level 1

Hello,

I cannot make my page 6000 mm wide? There seems to be a limit on 5500-something wideness??

• 1. Re: In design pagesize
          MW Design Level 4

If you need larger than about 5500 mm (it's just a little bit less than that), you will need to design at a scale (say 50%) and instruct whomever is going to print the design to scale it up. This means to ensure any bitmap images are of twice the resolution you need for final output--which should be determined by whomever is printing the work. Vector obviously isn't an issue.

Mike

• 2. Re: In design pagesize

Ok, it's only that instructions says to make it scale 100%. But i think you are right, sounds like the only way. I have tride to make it in Corel, but it will not work properly.

• 3. Re: In design pagesize
              MW Design Level 4

Definitely communicate with the printer about the scale. Some don't like to do so.

I use CorelDraw all the time for large format work. Is it just that the pdf appears blank?

• 4. Re: In design pagesize

yes, when I turn it to pdf it's all white

• 5. Re: In design pagesize
                  MW Design Level 4

The design is there--check the size in megabytes. You can also check to see if the PDF reloads into CD...

The issue is that Adobe in all their wisdom places an artificial limit on the displayable page size. That limitation is for all practicable purposes non-existent in the PDF specification (which Adobe wrote). Therefore, Adobe products also carry this limitation into the design applications (hence the page size limitation in ID, AI--which are actually slightly different).

Most other PDF readers/editors do not have that limitation and all sign printing applications I know of also do not have that limitation. As well, likely the signage print establishment is going to load the PDF into CD to print. It may behoove you to check to see if they just would like the native CD file or whether the PDF is fine with them.

Mike

• 6. Re: In design pagesize

Ok, I think I understand. Thanks for taking your time to help me out. I will check this. The MB is there as you say. Do you have a sugggestion for pdf reader that does not have limitation in size?

• 7. Re: In design pagesize
                      MW Design Level 4

Foxit Reader

Capture-000235.png

CorelPDF Fusion

PDF-Xchange

I believe that list can get you started. Of those, Foxit Reader is free. However, please look at every screen during the install. Last I knew it didn't install anything nasty, but it will want to install a 30-day demo of its bigger brother. As well, it wants to install plug-ins for your browser, become the default PDF reader, etc. All of those at the time I last installed it were able to be denied.

Also, this cannot be said enough. Only Adobe Acrobat can truly render a PDF properly should there be transparencies, use the output intent to render color properly, etc., etc. But we're stuck as regards the viewing limitation. So, take large PDFs with a grain of salt and faith once going larger than Acrobat can handle.

• 8. Re: In design pagesize

Ok. Thank you for all your help! /Malin

• 9. Re: In design pagesize
                          MW Design Level 4

You're welcome, Malin.

Mike