11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 2:20 PM by trshaner

I know there isn't multi-user option in LR world, but how can I have an editor work for me?

Joe Dolen

I'm sure this has been answered a million times, I just can't seem to find it anywhere.  I live on the east coast, my editor is going to live on the west coast.  What's the best way for her work on my images?  I'm a wedding photographer and each event there are about 3,000 or so images to cull through and then edit.  Sending hard drives back and forth isn't an option.  I use LR 5.7, she uses LR cc.  I'll happily upgrade or move to creative cloud if I have to, but I can't share a license with her because I use 2-3 computers in studio and show clients their photos in LR.  I can't have mine stop working if she logs on.  What do you guys suggest?  Why hasn't Adobe figured this out yet??  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: I know there isn't multi-user option in LR world, but how can I have an editor work for me?
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The simplest way to do this is "share" a LR catalog file created for each specific customer or customer event that is uploaded to online storage. The primary issue is that only one-person-at-a-time can edit the image files. The other user (you) can still view the images, but that is all you can do! If this is not acceptable due to the need to "work" simultaneously on the same image files then LR will not work for you. If that is acceptable then we can discuss further what needs to be done.

• 2. Re: I know there isn't multi-user option in LR world, but how can I have an editor work for me?
            Joe Dolen Level 1

One person editing at a time is acceptable to me.  Thanks for answering.  What would need to be done?

• 3. Re: I know there isn't multi-user option in LR world, but how can I have an editor work for me?

First step is for you to upgrade to LR CC 2015 same as your West Coast editor. Also make sure that you coordinate any LR updates so that both of you are working with the same LR versions (i.e. LR CC 2015.x). Lacking this there are going to be compatibility issues with the LR catalog going back and forth.

How will your associate receive the actual camera image files? You mentioned a typical event has about 3,000 image files.

3,000 x 25 MB per image file = 75,000 MB = 75 GB

IMHO it's not practical to use online storage for this purpose due to upload speed limitations.http://upload speed limitations/

A better solution is to over-night a USB flash drive loaded with the camera image files imported into LR and a LR Catalog backup file, which will contain your picks, ratings, edits, and any notes added in metadata. There is no need to send the Previews folder since they can be created and updated on each end.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-SDCZ43-128G-GAM46-Newest-Version/dp/B01BGTG2A0/ref=sr_ 1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=145911104…

TIP: I suggest backing up the image files AND temporarily retiring the memory cards from further use until you both verify all images are AOK. Memory cards are cheap–Re-takes are expensive and often impossible! After a few weeks of working on and verifying the images you can put the cards back into service. Buy more if you need them....it's inexpensive insurance!

1) To avoid issues with "missing folders" your editor should load the image files to her hard drive using the same folder/subfolder storage location you used. An example location: Pictures> Client Name> WEDDING NAME DATE, specifically what you see in Finder or Windows Explorer where the event image files & folders are located. This is very important to prevent having to do a "locate missing folders" each time the catalog goes back-and-forth. The catalog file can be stored in a separate folder with name and location of her choosing. She will need to manually locate it when opening the catalog file in LR (File> Open Catalog).

1) After your editor completes an editing session of a specific catalog file she can create a LR catalog backup file and upload it to a file sharing site such as Dropbox. The LR catalog backup file is in ZIP format and ~1/4 of the original files size, which reduces upload and download times.

2) You in turn download the LR catalog file, unzip it, and replace your current LR catalog file with the update file containing new edits. Make sure LR is closed when you do this to prevent any issues. When you relaunch LR you will see all of your associates edits.

3) Before proceeding you'll need to update the Library Previews. In the Library module select all image files by clicking on 'All Photographs' under the left-hand Catalog panel. Then go to Library> Previews and build Standard Previews if you only need full-screen viewing or 1:1 Previews if you want to review the majority of the images at 1:1 Zoom view.

4) You can review the image file edits, add new ratings, metadata notes, and editing changes.

5) Go back to step #1 and follow the same iterative instructions to start a 2nd editing cycle.

6) Make sure to retain ALL of the LR backup files on each Coast so you can recover to previous editing sessions if necessary. The ZIP'd backup catalog files are relatively small.

I suggest doing a trial-run with a set of test images to gain experience and make sure the "catalog sharing" process is working as expected. Please let me now if you have any other questions.

WARNING: The usual caveats and precautions apply and are not listed here, which includes NOT moving, deleting, or renaming files or folders from outside of LR.

• 4. Re: I know there isn't multi-user option in LR world, but how can I have an editor work for me?
                whsprague Level 4

trshaner,

If it were fewer files, maybe a dozen or so, could the image files and xmp files be sent back and forth via Dropbox?

Thanks.

Bill

• 5. Re: I know there isn't multi-user option in LR world, but how can I have an editor work for me?
                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Another suggestion-

1. "Export as a Catalog" with Smart Previews.  (you will only need to select images for editing)

2. Send or Dropbox the 'Export' catalog with Smart Previews, to the remote editor.

3. The remote editor does the edits and returns only the Catalog. (can be a zip file)

4. You "Import from a catalog" and bring the edits back into your master catalog.

• 6. Re: I know there isn't multi-user option in LR world, but how can I have an editor work for me?

Yes you can do that and then just send the XMP files back-and-forth. LR is a non-destructive editor so no need to keep resending the raw files. This would work if you keep all of the original raw image files and XMP files in one folder and not change any file names. This makes it difficult to use and and organize images in subfolders (i.e. Export images). What you also lose are Pick Flags and the ability to share Virtual Copies, Collections, and work performed in LR's other modules (Map, Book, Slideshow, Print, Web)....and more here:

http://www.lightroomfanatic.com/export/what-is-not-included-in-lightroom-xmp-files/

The other issue is that you need to keep the XMP files "sychnronized" with all changes. Using 'Automatically Write Changes into XMP' will do that, but will cause a "metadata conflict" when exchanging XMP files edited by your partner. You can also do this "manually" after each editing session by selecting ALL files in the folder you are working on and using the COMMAND +S or CTRL + S keys (Save Metadata to File). When updating the XMP files by over-writing them you will need to select ALL files in the "working folder" and then ion the Library module go to menu Metadata and select 'Read Metadata from file.'

The danger here is that you run the risk of losing some or all of the updated XMP edits if this operation isn't followed correctly each and every time files are transferred. For example you select some of the recently edited images with updated XMP files and accidently choose CTRL + S, which will over-write the XMP files with your previous LR edit state, and erase your editor's recent edits, without your knowledge. I would only recommend using this for an "occasional" quick edit exchange of a few files.

• 7. Re: I know there isn't multi-user option in LR world, but how can I have an editor work for me?
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A possible issue with that type of workflow is that the smart previews cannot round-trip from Lightroom to Photoshop. If Photoshop is required this could pose a problem.

• 8. Re: I know there isn't multi-user option in LR world, but how can I have an editor work for me?

wobertc wrote:

Another suggestion-

1. "Export as a Catalog" with Smart Previews.  (you will only need to select images for editing)

2. Send or Dropbox the 'Export' catalog with Smart Previews, to the remote editor.

3. The remote editor does the edits and returns only the Catalog. (can be a zip file)

4. You "Import from a catalog" and bring the edits back into your master catalog.

Keep in mind that Smart Previews are reduced size (i.e. full-screen size) 8bit JPEG image files. They're more than adequate for making Tone adjustments, crops, and of course rating, keywording, etc. But you lose the ability to see actual 1:1 Zoom view image pixel detail for critical Detail panel editing adjustments. If you're willing to do those adjustments on your end with the raw files after synching your editor's Smart Preview edits......that will work.

Seán Duggan: Working Smart with Smart Previews in LR5, Part 1 « SpyderBLOG

• 9. Re: I know there isn't multi-user option in LR world, but how can I have an editor work for me?
                          Joe Dolen Level 1

Thank you so much for explaining that all to me!!  Definitely gives me something to work with!

• 10. Re: I know there isn't multi-user option in LR world, but how can I have an editor work for me?

Glad that helps. Sharing a LR catalog file should do the job as long as you and your associate understand the limitations. That being only one-person-at-a-time should be editing the images in a specific catalog file. Setup a procedure for communicating who has the "editing rights" to each of the shared catalogs at any given time. If you edit image files simultaneously in the same catalog there is no way to merge the work both of you have done. This includes changes made to pick flags, ratings, keywords, and anything else.

You both can work individually on different image files for a specific job by dividing them up into two separate top-level folders and creating two catalogs.  For example if you want to work on all of the group and individual portraits you can select only those image files, move them into an identifying top-level folder, and then Import only that folder into a new LR catalog. Move the remaining image files to another identifying top-level folder and Import only that folder into a 2nd new LR catalog.

You’ll still need to follow the procedures as specifically outlined in my reply #3 for “sharing” the two catalog files and image files.

After all work is completed you can "merge" the two catalog files back into one master catalog.

Merging Individual Lightroom Catalogs into a “Master” Catalog « Julieanne Kost's Blog

• 11. Re: I know there isn't multi-user option in LR world, but how can I have an editor work for me?

Sorry, I left out one very important part of the procedures that you and your associate will need to follow. In my reply #3 I said:

WARNING: The usual caveats and precautions apply and are not listed here, which includes NOT moving, deleting, or renaming files or folders from outside of LR.

Since you will be using two separate sets of image files that will not be exchanged with the catalog file updates the above warning should be changed to read as follows:

WARNING: Do NOT move, delete, or rename any files or folders from inside LR or outside LR. Since each user has their own separate copy of the image files this will cause the moved or renamed files to be lost (! icons) on the other user's LR system. Using file & folder renaming and moving for organizational purposes isn't necessary. Instead use LR's Collections, Keyword, Pick/Reject Flag, Rating, Label, and EXIF/IPTC metadata tools for "organizing" the image files. This keeps ALL operations in LR non-destructive and helps prevent file corruption and other issues caused by making 'System Level' changes to the image files or folders.

That should cover all of the issues.