1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2016 7:37 PM by Mohit Goyal

Please help! 'The Catalogue could not be opened due to an unexpected error'

Jclay85

Hi all,

First of all, out of respect to everyone here's time, I've poured through 3 hours worth of old posts, and tried everything I can find.  Nothing seems to work.  Any solutions anyone could offer would be GREATLY appreciated!

I am having an issue with my catalogue.  I recently restored my computer (from time machine) due to a hard drive crash, and I'm not sure if that has anything do to with it, but upon opening my catalogue for the first time since the restore, I'm get a 'Unexpected error opening catalogue - the catalogue could not be opened due to an unexpected error' message.

If I go to 'try a different catalogue, and then select the same catalogue and click 'test the integrity' - it then checks the integrity and a new popup saying 'This catalogue is corrupt and cannot be used or backed up until it is repaired'.

-If I click 'repair catalogue' then a new popup message comes up saying 'Lightroom encountered problems reading or writing from disk when attempting to repair lightroom catalogue'.    (I have 700 gb free space)

This led me to believe that maybe it was a permissions issue, so I verified and repaired all permissions - still no fix.  Also tried disk utility and verified disk.

I created a new empty lightroom catalogue, and it opens fine.

I have no temporary lock file in my lightroom folder.

I tried resetting Lightroom preferences

I tried replacing my lightroom catalogue file with an earlier one from time machine and still experience the same issue.

Also, If I try to open the empty new catalogue, and 'file > import from another catalogue, it says 'This catalogue does not appear to be a valid lightroom catalogue'.

Also, tried temporarily moving the journal file with no luck there either.

Im on a mac running El Capitan 10.11.3 with lightroom 6.5.  Everything is up to date.

Thanks again, and I'm sincerely hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this.   Unfortunately, I didn't realized I should be backing up my lightroom catalogue, and for some reason, it wasn't being backed up by default.  I can't find any backup folder in my lightroom folder.