1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 5:34 AM by dj_paige

Use spot removal tool for a specific area

jumia

Hi all,

I'm a new user of LR 5 and was just wondering how we can select a very specific area with straight line and replace it using spot removal tool.

Here an example: I would like to remove the building on the top left corner and replace it with the blue sky. But using spot removal tool, I can't get a straight natural edge with the main building, I either have some remains from the white building or blue sky but not a beautiful, natural edge like on the top right corner.

Capture d’écran 2016-03-28 à 14.03.13.png

Thanks a lot !

• 1. Re: Use spot removal tool for a specific area
          dj_paige Level 9

First, let me say that this would be a whole lot easier in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

To use the spot removal tool in Lightroom, you'd need to zoom in 1:1 or even more, and then select small areas of the photo for replacement to get the edge to look the way you want it. This is very tedious and detailed work. To put it mildly, Lightroom was not designed for this task. By the way, you are not limited to circular spot replacement in LR 5 and later, you can hold the mouse down when you select an area and then select a non-circular area, if that helps, see Advanced Healing Brush « Julieanne Kost's Blog (although I think it doesn't really help in this situation).