12 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2006 3:27 PM by Newsgroup_User

IE ActiveX changes and Flash

oceanfeeling Level 1
      On Tuesday, Microsoft will make available the update that will change the way Internet Explorer handles ActiveX objects. Flash content is embeded in EMBED and OBJECT tags so according to the changes, this will infuence Flash applications. Users may need to click once or more times to activate the ActiveX object.

Here's an article that explains the changes that will occur
      Read the artcile here

Also, here is an article from MSDN site that describes what the developers should do to prepare their applications for the changes to come.
      Here's the MSDN article

Has the Macromedia made available any guidlines that we should follow to prepare our apps?
      Will a new Flash Player be available that will solve these probles (this is what the MSDN article says, that the vendors are preparing updates to handle the issue)?

If anyone from the Macromeia reads this articles please post something as it is very important.

Thank you in advance
        • 1. Re: IE ActiveX changes and Flash
          Level 7
          I know Macromedia keeps an Active Content Center with available guidelines
          about this issue:
          http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/activecontent/

However the script solution they offer there is kinda of out of sync with
          their Flash Detection Kit and support of the latest features etc.

This is why I created a replacement from scratch which contains both the
          refined version detection and control, the tag writing procedures and
          ExpressInstall support.
          You can get it for free here:

www.flashbeyond.com

It's all packed in an easy to use JS class, I hope you find it easy to use.
          If you have feedback or find bugs/errata please use the feedback form to let
          me know.

Regards, Stan Vassilev
          www.flashbeyond.com -->

"oceanfeeling" <oceanfeeling@hotmail.com> wrote in message
          news:e1b1dh$4dq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > On Tuesday, Microsoft will make available the update that will change the
          > way
          > Internet Explorer handles ActiveX objects. Flash content is embeded in
          > EMBED
          > and OBJECT tags so according to the changes, this will infuence Flash
          > applications. Users may need to click once or more times to activate the
          > ActiveX object.
          >
          > Here's an article that explains the changes that will occur
          > http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-6058716.html
          >
          > Also, here is an article from MSDN site that describes what the developers
          > should do to prepare their applications for the changes to come.
          >
          > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overvie
          > w/activating_activex.asp
          >
          > Has the Macromedia made available any guidlines that we should follow to
          > prepare our apps?
          > Will a new Flash Player be available that will solve these probles (this
          > is
          > what the MSDN article says, that the vendors are preparing updates to
          > handle
          > the issue)?
          >
          > If anyone from the Macromeia reads this articles please post something as
          > it
          > is very important.
          >
          > Thank you in advance
          >

• 2. Re: IE ActiveX changes and Flash
            oceanfeeling Level 1
            Thanks Stan.
            I checked the MSDN and Macromedia sites that are relative with the issue.
            Now, i'll try to implement all the solutions including yours to check them.

It's very good that you combine both methods(Detection and avoidance of the ActiveX problems). I hope there is no problem to make available your solution to others if needed.

Thank you again
            • 3. Re: IE ActiveX changes and Flash
              Level 7
              Hi, there's no problem of course. I'll just ask when distributing it to keep
              the license notes and the copyright note in the source code.

I'll be making updates available soon with working examples that demonstrate
              the kit in action soon so you might check the site again for updates in a
              couple of days if you want.

Regards, Stan Vassilev
              www.flashbeyond.com -->

"oceanfeeling" <oceanfeeling@hotmail.com> wrote in message
              news:e1b51q$8n4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks Stan.
              > I checked the MSDN and Macromedia sites that are relative with the issue.
              > Now, i'll try to implement all the solutions including yours to check
              > them.
              >
              > It's very good that you combine both methods(Detection and avoidance of
              > the
              > ActiveX problems). I hope there is no problem to make available your
              > solution
              > to others if needed.
              >
              > Thank you again
              >

• 4. Re: IE ActiveX changes and Flash
                Level 7
                > Has the Macromedia made available any guidlines that we should follow to
                > prepare our apps?

It has been discussed here quite a bit already. This solution has been
                proposed (much simpler than the microsoft and macromedia suggestions)

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=194&threadid=11259 16#4070812

Microsoft have guidelines..

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/activating_activex.asp

Macromedia/Adobe has an FAQ...

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/activecontent/faq.html

and an article on what to do here...

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/activecontent/articles/devletter.html

which pretty much says the same things as the MS article

> Will a new Flash Player be available that will solve these probles (this
                > is
                > what the MSDN article says, that the vendors are preparing updates to
                > handle
                > the issue)?

No .. that is not possible. It is not something the Flash player can do.
                its the browser.

> If anyone from the Macromeia reads this articles please post something as
                > it
                > is very important.

There has been a LOT posted here already
                --
                Jeckyl

• 5. Re: IE ActiveX changes and Flash
                  Level 7
                  Jeckyl, that's a smart hack you linked us too, if you need to quickly fix
                  existing pages.

But it has the potential to cause CPU/RAM peaks (the controls initialize and
                  are created twice), + all HTML element references taken before that action
                  become invalid as the elements are recreated and reattached to the document.

That's not a big issue unless you have a script that expects the reference
                  it took earlier to work (i.e. the tags are the same but the reference
                  magically fails).

A good detection script not only fixes the issue, but also trims the HTML
                  weight (if you have many Flash Objects), provides the users with an
                  alternative if they don't have Flash or have old Flash, makes management
                  easier (no need to write everything twice for object and embed, the script
                  does it) and allows easy integration of features like ExpressInstall.

My 2 cents

Regards, Stan Vassilev
                  www.flashbeyond.com -->

"Jeckyl" <jeckyl@hyde.com> wrote in message
                  news:e1c4b5$ffd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >> Has the Macromedia made available any guidlines that we should follow to
                  >> prepare our apps?
                  >
                  > It has been discussed here quite a bit already. This solution has been
                  > proposed (much simpler than the microsoft and macromedia suggestions)
                  >
                  > http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=194&threadid=11259 16#4070812
                  >
                  > Microsoft have guidelines..
                  >
                  > http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/activating_activex.asp
                  >
                  > Macromedia/Adobe has an FAQ...
                  >
                  > http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/activecontent/faq.html
                  >
                  > and an article on what to do here...
                  >
                  > http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/activecontent/articles/devletter.html
                  >
                  > which pretty much says the same things as the MS article
                  >
                  >> Will a new Flash Player be available that will solve these probles (this
                  >> is
                  >> what the MSDN article says, that the vendors are preparing updates to
                  >> handle
                  >> the issue)?
                  >
                  > No .. that is not possible. It is not something the Flash player can do.
                  > its the browser.
                  >
                  >> If anyone from the Macromeia reads this articles please post something as
                  >> it
                  >> is very important.
                  >
                  > There has been a LOT posted here already
                  > --
                  > Jeckyl
                  >
                  >

• 6. Re: IE ActiveX changes and Flash
                    Level 7
                    Good points .. can you post this info in the thread where that fix was
                    presented .. so that others can see, and the original person who came up
                    with the idea can see as well ?

BTW: Would putting the call to the script at the start of the <HEAD> avoid
                    the problems with HTML element references being undefined ??? I'm not an
                    HTML/JavaScript guru, so I'm not sure on that.

And I agree, a nice external JS that can be shared does all the work for you
                    in one place is a better approach in the long run. But if all you want is
                    to get an old plain-vanilla html page containing flash working, then the
                    other method is a nice quick fix that should work just fine . .without
                    having to rewrite web pages.

Thanks
                    --
                    Jeckyl

• 7. Re: IE ActiveX changes and Flash
                      Level 7
                      > BTW: Would putting the call to the script at the start of the <HEAD> avoid
                      > the problems with HTML element references being undefined ??? I'm not an
                      > HTML/JavaScript guru, so I'm not sure on that.

Not really, to access and set outerHTML the tags should already exist, i.e.
                      the script should execute after they "happen". You can put the script in the
                      <head> but if you execute it there it'll fail, it has to instead wait for
                      body onload or something like that and handle that event.

Regards, Stan Vassilev
                      www.flashbeyond.com -->

• 8. Re: IE ActiveX changes and Flash
                        Level 7
                        > You can put the script in the <head> but if you execute it there it'll
                        > fail, it has to instead wait for body onload or something like that and
                        > handle that event.

That's what it does ...

//When the page loads:
                        window.onload = function()
                        {
                        if (document.getElementsByTagName) {
                        var objs = document.getElementsByTagName("object"); //Get all the tags of
                        type object in the page.
                        for (i=0; i<objs.length; i++)
                        {
                        objs .outerHTML = objs.outerHTML; //Get the HTML content of each
                        object tag and replace it with itself.
                        }
                        }
                        }
                        //When the page unloads:
                        window.onunload = function()
                        {
                        if (document.getElementsByTagName) {
                        var objs = document.getElementsByTagName("object"); //Get all the tags of
                        type object in the page.
                        for (i=0; i<objs.length; i++)
                        {
                        objs .outerHTML = ""; //Clear out the HTML content of each object tag to
                        prevent an IE memory leak issue.
                        }
                        }
                        }

• 9. Re: IE ActiveX changes and Flash
                          Level 7
                          Yea, that's technically the same as executing the script right before body
                          closes (well after body closes but I'm not sure it'll be ok to put it there
                          anyways )

Regards, Stan Vassilev
                          www.flashbeyond.com -->

"Jeckyl" <jeckyl@hyde.com> wrote in message
                          news:e1chn1$vd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >> You can put the script in the <head> but if you execute it there it'll
                          >> fail, it has to instead wait for body onload or something like that and
                          >> handle that event.
                          >
                          > That's what it does ...
                          >
                          > //When the page loads:
                          > window.onload = function()
                          > {
                          > if (document.getElementsByTagName) {
                          > var objs = document.getElementsByTagName("object"); //Get all the tags of
                          > type object in the page.
                          > for (i=0; i<objs.length; i++)
                          > {
                          > objs .outerHTML = objs.outerHTML; //Get the HTML content of each
                          > object tag and replace it with itself.
                          > }
                          > }
                          > }
                          > //When the page unloads:
                          > window.onunload = function()
                          > {
                          > if (document.getElementsByTagName) {
                          > var objs = document.getElementsByTagName("object"); //Get all the tags of
                          > type object in the page.
                          > for (i=0; i<objs.length; i++)
                          > {
                          > objs .outerHTML = ""; //Clear out the HTML content of each object tag to
                          > prevent an IE memory leak issue.
                          > }
                          > }
                          > }
                          >

• 10. Re: IE ActiveX changes and Flash
                            Level 7
                            look here for a good site with simple solution and links to the various
                            'official' solutions.

http://activecontent.blogspot.com/
                            --
                            Jeckyl

• 11. Re: IE ActiveX changes and Flash
                              spacetony
                              The code in the Blog doesn't seem to be working and I see the endIeFix text under my embedding Flash.
                              • 12. Re: IE ActiveX changes and Flash
                                Level 7
                                Then you've not done it right

"spacetony" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                news:e35nrg$m2s$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > The code in the Blog doesn't seem to be working and I see the endIeFix
                                > text under my embedding Flash.